cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behaviour? Maximus XI Code

Sebastian198910
Level 7
I build my PC in November 2018 so it is pretty new. Since the beginning, my PC always starts 3x until it finally boots (On, Off, On, Off, On, Boot) and also the LED's on top of the rear connectors are not shining (all LED's enabled in BIOS) white the ROG Logo and the two connected AURA Light Strips do so.

But thats not the problem, even if I find this behaviour pretty odd. My problem is, that any time I reboot (or use sleep mode) I'm no longer able to run any DX12 application. For example Battlefield V usually runs with ~100 fps with all settings maxed on 1440p but after a reboot (or sleep mode) it only runs at 3-6 fps. This problem always gets solved when I cold boot the pc again (~30sec without a power connection). Because the whole PC is new and the mainboard already acts wired, my question now is: Could the mainboard cause this issue? All drivers and firmwares are up2date. Below the whole spec of my system.

My current thinking is, that either the Mainboard or GPU cause this problem. The PSU was never under more than 50% load and the OS is a fresh installation and the repair don't detect any defects. So what would you do? RMA the Mainboard?

CPU: Intel i9-9900K (Stock Clock)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32GB C16 Kit ROG Edition 3200 MHz (with ROG Certified profile in BIOS)
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 2080 Ti OC ("Stock" OC Clock from ASUS)
PSU: Corsair AX860i
Fan Control: Corsair Commander PRO
CPU Cooling: Corsair H150i PRO with Liquid Metal (I guess it was from Liquid Pro?) between Block and CPU
Storage: 2x Samsung MZ-V7P512BW 970 Pro, 2x Samsung MZ-76E1T0B/EU 860 EVO
Fans: Multiple Corsair ML120/ML140
10 REPLIES 10

mdzcpa
Level 12
What Q Codes are you getting after a warm boot or awake from sleep (AO on warm boot and 30 on wake?)

The LED on the I/O cover are faint on the XI series. Check when the room is dark to see if it is just very faint.

The on, off 3 times are cold power off boot is normal for the board.

Are you running any overclock? Is that memory on the QVL for the Code? I'd try dropping the memory to 2133MHZ default and see if the system still exhibits the problem.

Sebastian198910
Level 7
Cold Boot = A0
Reboot (Warm Boot) = A0
Wake = 30

Yes, the RAM was on the QVL it's the CMD32GX4M4C3200C16 with ROG Skin. The only OC is the "stock" OC on the GPU (because I bought the OC Version of it) and the ROG Certified profile of the RAM which is a bit higher than XMP 2. No custom OC currently active.

Edit: Even with memory set to 2133 MHz, the same error occurs.

Edit 2: Just updated the BIOS from 703 to 805 and except for PCIe 16_3 (which I had to switch to x4 due to an x4 extension card in this slot) everything is now on stock settings but still this error occurs.

Wonder if it has something to do with an Erp setting (bios) changed and the s state being out of wack? Also is fast startup on or off. I have been in the school of thought to disable that.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I would set UEFI to default settings and see if you can boot up the system outside the case to eliminate an shorting issue.

Sebastian198910
Level 7
After the BIOS update, the settings should be default. Except for the PCIe 16_3 to x4 I had changed nothing (before the Update I had changed this and the RAM to the ROG Certified profile and nothing else). So there is no BIOS change that should interfere with anything.

@mdzcpa What do you mean with shorting issue? Now that I've read that, I had quite a few ESD shocks on myself when touching any USB device with a metal chassis since I build this pc. But even if this is the issue, how should I find out where it happens? And why does it only affect the system after a reboot / wake? This makes no sense to me because an issue like this should be a problem all the time or never.

Sebastian1989101 wrote:

@mdzcpa What do you mean with shorting issue? Now that I've read that, I had quite a few ESD shocks on myself when touching any USB device with a metal chassis since I build this pc. But even if this is the issue, how should I find out where it happens? And why does it only affect the system after a reboot / wake? This makes no sense to me because an issue like this should be a problem all the time or never.

If your rear port cover is not lighting and you are getting electrical discharge from your USB plugs, I suspect a short circuit on the motherboard installation. Something may not be aligned properly with your case and standoffs. This is why I suggest removing the board from the case and booting the system on a on conductive surface.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
3 power cycles are normal for a default UEFI configuration. Certain controllers require a power cycle, and memory training needs to take place, too. You can limit this by enabling MRC Fast Boot to retain the last successful memory training.

I would first rule out memory instability by reverting the UEFI to default as suggested above, and testing the DX12 performance issue once again.

When renabling XMP, test memory stability with one of the following stress tests (recommend ramtest).

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

https://hcidesign.com/memtest/
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
3 power cycles are normal for a default UEFI configuration. Certain controllers require a power cycle, and memory training needs to take place, too. You can limit this by enabling MRC Fast Boot to retain the last successful memory training.

I would first rule out memory instability by reverting the UEFI to default as suggested above, and testing the DX12 performance issue once again.

When renabling XMP, test memory stability with one of the following stress tests (recommend ramtest).

https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/

https://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Once again, I resettet my BIOS to stock and once again the DX12 performance issue happend aftter a reboot. I did run ramtest for about an hour without OC and about two hours with ROG Certified OC profile in the mainboard. Both without any error - just as expected. And still DX12 applications are laggy as hell after a reboot or wake up and still they run fine after a cold boot.

I also did a "sfc /scannow" without any result so the DX12 files are fine. For me, it looks like the capacitors on the board or on the gpu are messing things up. The problem for me is, that I use this system also for a lot for work and therefore a 6+ weeks downtime due to RMA is kinda bad.

So any other, helpful, solutions to this? Oh and before you start with the PSU, I already tested another PSU which I know it is working for sure, so stop blaiming other brands if your products fail.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
It's not normal, period. Training by definition means you TRAIN something, and after a while, training STOPS. The way it is now training NEVER STOPS unless the user manually intervenes and enables that MRC setting. Something we shouldn't have to do.