cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC Adaptive Mode vCore Doesnt Drop....

rjbarker
Level 11
So I'm using Adaptive Mode (1.285v LLC 6) .....ran a ton of stress tests yesterday with a final 12 Hr P95 Blend run.
All Cores 5 Ghz / Cache Ratio 4.7 Ghz

Under load my vCore is between 1.270v - 1.296v - setting LLC lower to say "5" will result in vDroop and 1.225v - results in a failed P95 Blend test after about an hour.

I have IST ..Speed Shift...C States ..everything power saving enabled, yet my vCore is always at 1.314v ...even when the CPU downclocks....what am I missing here...on my old RIVE I used to use Offset Mode for Voltage and my CPU would downclock as would my vCore.

What am I missing here guys.
15 REPLIES 15

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Have you checked Windows Power Plan? If you’re in Balanced, check the profile hasn’t switched the minimum to 100%, too.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Have you checked Windows Power Plan? If you’re in Balanced, check the profile hasn’t switched the minimum to 100%, too.

Yes I have CPU set in Windows to Balanced Mode with Minimum CPU state at 5% (default I believe).

All the Power Saving stuff is enabled in BIOS.....I also went in and tried Offset Voltage mode vs Adaptive but vcore never downclocks....
with Adaptive Mode 1.285v LLC 6 Im idling at 1.314v - 1.323v ....CPU vcore stays here regardless of CPU Frequency bouncing between 800 Mhz and 5 Ghz......

Even the Frequency rarely sits at 800 Mhz for any length of time....bouncing around quite a bit.....

Any other ideas?
Ive also checked and nothing of great concern running in the background.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Using 125 strap used to do that...not sure if it does on that platform.

Any optimising software running...like ssd optimising...or...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Using 125 strap used to do that...not sure if it does on that platform.

Any optimising software running...like ssd optimising...or...

I've got Samsung Magician installed but they're stand along App ......"Rapid Mode" is disabled on all SSD's in Magician....although I did try one of my 860 Pros with it enabled....but since put it back to disabled....

....no other SSD related software or settings Im aware of.........really no idea...was thinking of loading optimized (default) ,settings in BIOS and try it..see if it works at default...... ?

Thanks!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like something is loading the CPU enough to shift power states so the system isn't truly idle. I take it you've checked task manager, too?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I've seen Samsung Magician as a culprit for this before...

rjbarker
Level 11
What I can try is uninstalling Samsung Magician......
...the only other things running (always running) is MSI Afterburner...my GPU's are downclocking (both frequency and Clocks) normally...

If I try setting the BIOS to stock....and it still conitnues not to downclock....would it be possible an issue with the Chip?

Maybe try the latest BIOS update ? Not a fan of updating BIOS unless absolutely necessary....

EDIT: Ok think I solved it....removing Samsung Magician made no difference to CPU idle state (sill idling at 1.31v).

In Bios:
- Go to CPU Power Management Control - Package C State Limit - Change from Auto to Enabled and now my vCore downclocks to something like 0.112v

On another note:
- If I have SVID set to "Best Case Scenario" , is it ok to have the other SVID setting at Auto vs enabled?
- Multi Core Enhancement - best to set this to disabled? (thats how I presently have it set).

Thanks guys

Aurosonic
Level 7
Try to set Min. CPU Cache Ratio to auto instead of fixed.
9900k@5200@1.35v LLC5/Apex XI@0231/G-Skill F4-4600C18D-16GTZR/Aorus 2080ti xTream Wateblock@2100/8100

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I guess just try closing stuff down or uninstalling...some streaming/game capture software can do this too...

Maybe re-flash current BIOS? before you try a new one..