cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone gotten 64gb of ram to work?

paladin20
Level 7
2700x on a Crosshair VII.

So I recently tried two totally separate setups of corsair ram. The first was two boxes of 2x16gb, the second was an actual 4x16gb bundle.

Both had the exact same problem. They just wouldn't post. Not at all. They'd just throw up a 0d error code.

Any combination of 2 sticks would work fine, in any combination of slots. But 4 sticks wouldn't post at all, the only way to get to the bios was to remove sticks first. (This is on bios defaults obviously, no overclock or anything set up).

I tried upping the dram voltage to 1.4v (and 1.45v and 1.5v just to see if it would work).

I also tried setting XMP.

I also tried setting XMP but dropping the mhz to the bios default of 2133mhz to see if the timings helped.

I then tried setting bios to default, but then upping the voltage and then loosening the timings to 22-22-22-44 and various loose timings.

None of this made any difference.

Is it just that Ryzen/Crosshair struggles to get to 64gb of ram? Or is it Corsair that's the problem?

I unfortunately can't run any more tests, as I had to return the ram and it took ages (over a week) for this forum to actually let me sign up and post. But I'm still curious if its possible to upgrade this in the future. Otherwise I may have to go intel for my next build.
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
What frequencies and size of RAM you use is dependent on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip and not the MB (if the board officially supports it). High frequency RAM say at 4000MHz and 64GB is IMO too much to ask of the 2700X CPU atm.
Both Intel and AMD are the same and it depends on the sample you have (Silicon Lottery).

The Crosshair VII Hero and 2700X combo are about as good as you can get and stability very much depends on your choice of RAM.

For RAM it is best to consult with the MB QVL as to what combos have been tested and therefore known to work.

Best IMO are DIMMs with Samsung b-die chips @3200MHz (2x8) for 16GB or (2x16) if 32GB is required.
If you choose OC RAM beyond JDEC standards then pre developed profiles don't work. (XMP and D.O.C.P)
With OC RAM you have to tweak Bios carefully with respect to Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage. There are apps to assist in obtaining SPD stability such as Thaiphoon burner and DRAM calculator.
Another suggestion is to first test with just a single DIMM to test for stability then add the other modules. You may have to up your DRAM Voltage, modify SOC and LLC depending on your PSU efficiency. Always best to get the CPU stable prior to OCing your RAM.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
What frequencies and size of RAM you use is dependent on the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) on the chip and not the MB (if the board officially supports it). High frequency RAM say at 4000MHz and 64GB is IMO too much to ask of the 2700X CPU atm.
Both Intel and AMD are the same and it depends on the sample you have (Silicon Lottery).

The Crosshair VII Hero and 2700X combo are about as good as you can get and stability very much depends on your choice of RAM.

For RAM it is best to consult with the MB QVL as to what combos have been tested and therefore known to work.

Best IMO are DIMMs with Samsung b-die chips @3200MHz (2x8) for 16GB or (2x16) if 32GB is required.
If you choose OC RAM beyond JDEC standards then pre developed profiles don't work. (XMP and D.O.C.P)
With OC RAM you have to tweak Bios carefully with respect to Primary Timings and DRAM Voltage. There are apps to assist in obtaining SPD stability such as Thaiphoon burner and DRAM calculator.
Another suggestion is to first test with just a single DIMM to test for stability then add the other modules. You may have to up your DRAM Voltage, modify SOC and LLC depending on your PSU efficiency. Always best to get the CPU stable prior to OCing your RAM.

IT was Corsair LPX Vengeance 3200mhz CL16, which is unlikely to be Samsung, pretty sure it's Hynix.

Unfortunately the QVL list for this board only really lists one ram option for 64gb, and that's by a maker called TEAM that I haven't heard of and which doesn't seem to actually exist for sale (in this country at least).

I would, ideally, want to try samsung b-die ram (which is what I have at the moment, 4x8gb sticks of RipjawV, which works fine), but the cheapest Samsung option at the moment is something like £800-£900 for a set (which is more than twice the price of the Corsair ram). Though I guess the price makes sense if the b-die sticks actually work!

davemon50
Level 11
I have a similar kit to you but it's 3333C16 LPX Vengeance. It worked from the get-go for me, but on RVE10 and i7-6950X. I only clock it to 3000.

Edited to add: I had to reseat the memory 4 or 5 times before I got it all recognized. But after that, smooth sailing.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I have a similar kit to you but it's 3333C16 LPX Vengeance. It worked from the get-go for me, but on RVE10 and i7-6950X. I only clock it to 3000.

Edited to add: I had to reseat the memory 4 or 5 times before I got it all recognized. But after that, smooth sailing.

I re-seated every stick, along with straight up removing the whole set and putting in my old ram, and then removing -that- to put back in the corsairs. I really don't see how the seating would have been an issue (in this case).

Yeh, not surprised it works for the i7, I suspect the intel chips/chipsets are a lot more robust, if only because they have had more years for companies to refine the boards etc.

Hi i have 2 "VENGEANCE® RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 CMW32GX4M2C3200C16 " memory. İn their sites it is not compatible with x470 yet im using with corshair vıı. There are 2 problems first icue nor aura cant detect it, also without overclocking it works only 2133mhz. I'm also using with 2700x.

Sedare
Level 8
I have 4 16GB Sticks of G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM in my C7H working. It's rated for 3200MHz at CL14, but I cannot get it to go above 3000MHZ and be stable. However, I can get the cl to be like 14-13-13-13 instead. It's two 32GB kits as well but they are sequential in terms of Serial numbers as I bought them at the same time.

I've read on these forums that Ryzen+ just doesn't like 4 sticks populated at high capacities and high speeds. I've gotten 2 sticks to their rated speeds, but cannot get 4.

I have my setup running with 64GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz C15

Using the CH7 WiFi (bios 1201) with the 2700x...

It's running with 16-17-17-35 timings @ 3000Mhz & 1.35V, so at it's rated speed.

This has been working with all previous bios revisions, so no problem there...

I did do a full CMOS reset, loaded all defaults and then started to adapt step-by-step to all my desired parameters.

This has now resulted in a fully stable setup.
(hours of prime95, OCCT, Realbench,... not a single error seen...)

Or I'm very lucky with my 2700x sample!