cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling ripped off... Again!!!

__VeNoM__
Level 7
Ok, some of you may know that not so long ago I wasn't happy with the lack of the auto tuning option on the RIIIE compared to the newer boards. After not being able to get my overclock stable again after it mysteriously went from being rock solid to constant crashing. Well I felt robbed by Asus due to the price I paid for what was suppose to be the top board of its time.

Anyway, movIng on from that. I just got a nice little upgrade to a 256GB SSD Crucial M4. I connected it to the Marvell 6G port which I had heard some negative things about when people was using RAID. However, I'm using a single drive here so thought I shouldn't have a problem. I done a benchmark using ATTO and was extremely shocked to see the poor results. Seriously, how can you advertise SATA III 6GB on this board when you're extremely lucky to achieve half the rated speed!!!

Don't get me wrong, I like ASUS and will buy from them again but I think the RIIIE was a mistake, maybe they released it too soon to compete against EVGA?

Looks like I'll be trying the Intel SATA II port for comparison... Wish I didn't have to though.

Would like to thanks HiVizMan in advance though as he has been extremely helpful so far.
18 REPLIES 18

DangerClose
Level 7
Well first of all, "auto-tuning" for overclocking has always been problematic. There are MANY factors that play into overclocking. You NEED to do it yourself...manually...to get the best overclock. Also, your processor quality, PSU, etc. all play into this.

Secondly, the Marvell chipset is pretty flakey and the Crucial M4 SSDs are KNOWN to be problematic. Check Anandtech, HardOCP, etc. and you will see they have a history of being bad SSDs to work with. Make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on that SSD before doing anything.

Third, you do realize that overclocking is taking the hardware PAST it's initial design parameter. It is NEVER guaranteed and you should never ASSUME you will have a happy-go-lucky time with overclocking because you read things on the internet. Learn. Practice. Do it manually.
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 3930K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs - WD VelociRaptor 600GB Steam drive - 3x 7970 Tri-Fire !! - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - H100 Cooler - Win7 x64 Ultimate :cool::cool::cool:

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I have managed to manually get my o/c stable but it takes a lot more volts than what I used to use. I do understand about quality of components but I was simply expressing my dissatisfaction with the lack of the auto tuning feature which I believe appeared on other Rampage III boards.

Regarding the SSD. I currently have the latest firmware installed and from reading around on the net I was on the understanding that the Crucial M4 was one of the more stable/reliable drives available? Again, I am expressing my dissatisfaction regarding the advertised SATA III 6G ports. ASUS are not the only company that advertised 6GB speed.. What they should have put in the description is that the full 6G is not possible on the Marvell controller.

mdzcpa
Level 12
I'm not sure I can concur with the M4 being notoriously problematic as SSDs go. I tend to see far more issues with the Sandforce based SSDs. When I cruise the net I tend to see the M4 being noted as a tad slower than the new second gen Sandforce based SSDs, but not the most problematic. The most stable SSDs are Intel, but they were too slow on the draw ironing out their second gen SSD with Sandforce issues. I chose the M4 after having bad experiences with both the OCZ and Corsair Sandforce based units.

Anyway, not to sound overly simplistic, but the native Intel ports have always been better with SSDs and your best shot is to put your SSD there. The only thing on my Asmedia controller on my RIVE are mechanical or Optical drives. That's all I will put on an add-on controller. It's kind of par for the course....albeit it shouldn't be.

DangerClose
Level 7
Please see Anand's review about the Crucial M4 drives:

This is about the firmware update: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4712/the-crucial-m4-ssd-update-faster-with-fw0009

Also, you can see various threads about the Crucial drives and grab the latest firmware here: http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/bd-p/ssd

Good luck.
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme - 3930K - 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 - 2x Corsair Force GT 120GB SSDs - WD VelociRaptor 600GB Steam drive - 3x 7970 Tri-Fire !! - Corsair AX1200 PSU - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - H100 Cooler - Win7 x64 Ultimate :cool::cool::cool:

The EVGA x58 boards were good but there X79 boards are crap.

Crucial drives are rock solid. Saying anything else is just ignorance I'm afraid.

Seriously, putting up a link to a support site where people post problems for help is supposed to be indicative of flakey drives?
7980XE on Asus ApexVI
Zotac 2080Ti
Intel 900P
2 x Samsung 950 Pro
EVGA 1600W
Alienware 34"
Samsung 28" 4K

DooRules wrote:
Crucial drives are rock solid. Saying anything else is just ignorance I'm afraid.

Seriously, putting up a link to a support site where people post problems for help is supposed to be indicative of flakey drives?

An excellent point. Just have a look at how many people have issues with ASUS boards here. Does that mean there's an issue with their quality? Of course not.

To be honest, I am a little disappointed that the RIVE didn't come with better SATA3 support. I'm surprised that it still had the 4 X SATA2 ports, rather than having all 6+2 SATA ports being 6G SATA3 ports.
Motherboard: RIVE (3602 bios)
CPU: Intel 3930K @4646MHz
OS Drive: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO (Raid 0)
Storage Drive: 2 X 1.5TB WD Caviar Black RAID 0, 2 X 3TB WD Caviar Red, Kingston V100 256GB SSD
Memory: 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z (F3-12800CL10Q2-64GBZL)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX580 @795MHz - 1536MB GDDR5
PSU: OCZ ZX1250
Cooling: Phantek PH-TC14PE

Melting Point wrote:
To be honest, I am a little disappointed that the RIVE didn't come with better SATA3 support. I'm surprised that it still had the 4 X SATA2 ports, rather than having all 6+2 SATA ports being 6G SATA3 ports.

The layout of of the SATA ports on the RIVE is dependent on the X79 chipset. The X79 only offers 4 x SATA 2 and 2 x SATA 6. That's what the RIVE has. Asus then added the ASMedia chip to throw in 2 more SATA 6 ports.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hey Venom you all right mate?

I love the Crucial M4 drives, solid performance and they do not give the problems of the nature that Sandforce controllers are giving. In other words they last longer. And yeah that is based on my own experiences within the enterprise type storage solutions I work with. You would think that folks in that kind of industry (Financial houses and such) would learn but boys will be boys and they all believe the hype of having supposedly an extra 50MBz read and write speed. Not in the real world you don't and I want a SSD that is going to be working everyday and not mess with my data and go tits up on me. So I have walked away from Sandforce controllers for now. Samsung, Crucial and of course Intel get my business. Enough about where I spend my money.

There are a couple of factors that will influence what your benchmarked speed is, not least which port you use. I honestly have no idea why Marvell ports are even included, there has to be a very good reason because pretty much all manufactures still include one or two. The only things I will stick into a Marvel port are optical drives and bulk storage that gets accessed occasionally. Intel ports for the win.

How long are your SATA cables? What quality of cable are you using? How full is your SSD? I am guessing that it is empty. Any how if possible move the SSD to an Intel port, check the length of your cable, shorter is better and also the quality of your cable. The difference in cable performance will be slight between well shielded and so called SATA 6GBs cables and the SATA 2 versions. Jury is still out on this one, as I am still waiting for some special cables to be delivered. Doing a little experiment with cables and how they impact of write/read speeds.

That is about it I think. I know if I have missed a question you will remind me and speak soon yeah.

Cheers
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.