cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Load VGA BIOS (SLI 2080TI)

Sib3riX
Level 10
This board need BIOS UPDATE (my system boot without any problems on single 2080ti but with nvlink sometimes my pc wont boot)

I dont want to buy new motherboard because asus refuse to fix this crap. Nobody from ASUS ever replay on forums or even look at them. This is disgusting. I did RMA on every single product i have in my pc RAM, PSU, both GPUS. I have tried a Clear CMOS, a BIOS flashback, 3 fresh windows installs. Still the same thing, and it is completely random which makes it a huge pain in the butt to do anything with.

Motherboard: ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME (also RMA-board and received same model with same problem)

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?105105-Code-0E-Load-VGA-Bios/page2&highlight=bios

LATEST NEWS

I called Asus support the night before last and the agent told me they were receiving many escalations regarding this 2080 issue and their engineering team is currently working on resolution. The only information they could provide me was it is indeed related to nvlink interface incompatibility with current BIOS/board, and users of the 20xx series GPU's, whether multipgpu or single gpu may face issues and instability until BIOS update is released.

They also stated there is other issues related to the 20xx series GPU's and screens going black prior to login screen in windows/drive instability with boards at the moment, and this is affecting other boards as well (not just the ZE) and they are working on BIOS updates for these issues too.

They said to expect BIOS updates "soon" and their L2 teams will keep in touch.

Seems the NVlink interface, regardless of multigpu or single, is causing issues with ASUS mobos in general for many. I suspect they never really added support for it since it was technically outside the scope of the market these boards were intended for (well, until now).
10 REPLIES 10

Hopper64
Level 15
I have seen this too with a single card, but I think that was due to my OC. SLI is a bigger problem from what I'm reading. Here's a link to others reporting the same thing:

https://forums.evga.com/Load-VGA-bios-error-m2922911.aspx
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
I have seen this too with a single card, but I think that was due to my OC. SLI is a bigger problem from what I'm reading. Here's a link to others reporting the same thing:

https://forums.evga.com/Load-VGA-bios-error-m2922911.aspx

Asus support ignored my email i sent in november 2018 about this problem. Problem is still there and they refuse to help.
RMA every single component in my pc and even same motherboard (replaced for new) to find out today im not only one affected by this problem. I also refuse to buy x299 new motherboard. Im thinking to switch for new amd threadripper.

Hey,

So guys in caseking.de tested my EVGA 2080TI FTW3 (i bought cards from them) in sli on ASUS Rampage VI EXTREME they came to conclusion that evga FTW3 (sli) cards are not supported on asus rampage vi extreme motherboard that i need to wait for future bios updates. They also tried other cards from msi and aorus (there is no LOAD VGA BIOS). I bought new motherboard and fixed my problems with this. I will probably ask for refund on ASUS Rampage VI EXTREME. Only affected models are FTW3 because other model like EVGA BLACK work without problems . Single ftw3 is working fine but when you add 2 ftw3 cards with nvlink problems start to happen. They tested this for almost 1 month. This is so retarded but my problem is fixed (buying new motherboard).

Sib3riX wrote:
Hey,

So guys in caseking.de tested my EVGA 2080TI FTW3 (i bought cards from them) in sli on ASUS Rampage VI EXTREME they came to conclusion that evga FTW3 (sli) cards are not supported on asus rampage vi extreme motherboard that i need to wait for future bios updates. They also tried other cards from msi and aorus (there is no LOAD VGA BIOS). I bought new motherboard and fixed my problems with this. I will probably ask for refund on ASUS Rampage VI EXTREME. Only affected models are FTW3 because other model like EVGA BLACK work without problems . Single ftw3 is working fine but when you add 2 ftw3 cards with nvlink problems start to happen. They tested this for almost 1 month. This is so retarded but my problem is fixed (buying new motherboard).

Hi Sib3riX,

I'm really sorry to hear that you had to resort to a new motherboard to resolve this. Was it an EVGA board? If so would you mind sharing which model worked for you?

I'm asking since I own the Rampage VI Apex with BIOS 1401 and will be purchasing two Titan RTXs in about 2 weeks time. I intend to enable NVLink. I raised a ticket with Asus and they stated the current BIOS could handle the 48 GB of VRAM these cards have.

Was the BIOS update you refer to in your first post, the recently published BIOS 1704 for the VI Extreme and 1705 for the Apex? Thanks very much in advance for any information. This issue has me really concerned now.

FWIW
No issues here with 2X Strix 2080Ti O11G cards on BIOS 1604 modded with microcode 49.

BigJohnny wrote:
FWIW
No issues here with 2X Strix 2080Ti O11G cards on BIOS 1604 modded with microcode 49.

OFC only ftw3 (2080 and 2080ti) model from evga is affected.

BigJohnny wrote:
FWIW

Thanks BigJohnny. This sounds much more promising.

Your 1604 BIOS; is that for the Rampage VI Extreme? From what I can tell the Extreme and the Apex are the same basic motherboard just with different features/design priorities.

Out of interest; how much system RAM do you have? Not sure if it has a bearing but I’m just trying to find out if the BIOS has an upper limit on the amount of memory it can map? I’m using 64 GB system RAM with a further 64 GB Intel Optane memory accelerator.

Thanks again.

JTZ1032 wrote:
Hi Sib3riX,

I'm really sorry to hear that you had to resort to a new motherboard to resolve this. Was it an EVGA board? If so would you mind sharing which model worked for you?

I'm asking since I own the Rampage VI Apex with BIOS 1401 and will be purchasing two Titan RTXs in about 2 weeks time. I intend to enable NVLink. I raised a ticket with Asus and they stated the current BIOS could handle the 48 GB of VRAM these cards have.

Was the BIOS update you refer to in your first post, the recently published BIOS 1704 for the VI Extreme and 1705 for the Apex? Thanks very much in advance for any information. This issue has me really concerned now.

Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE VI Extreme wont work wtih 2080 or 2080TI FTW3 models in SLI. Also they tested 1301, 1401, 1503 and 1704. Every other card is working ASUS STRIX, GIGABYTE, MSI etc... Only affected product is 2080 and 2080ti FTW3 models in SLI with NVLink. I think you are good to go. You dont need to worry with your SLI setup.

Sib3riX wrote:
Motherboard ASUS RAMPAGE VI Extreme wont work wtih 2080 or 2080TI FTW3 models in SLI. Also they tested 1301, 1401, 1503 and 1704. Every other card is working ASUS STRIX, GIGABYTE, MSI etc... Only affected product is 2080 and 2080ti FTW3 models in SLI with NVLink. I think you are good to go. You dont need to worry with your SLI setup.

Ah, OK. Now I understand. Thanks for the clarification; it's been reassuring. I'll let you know how it goes since the Titan RTXs don't have a 3rd party manufacturer; I believe Nvidia manufacturers them directly (open to correction on that).