cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9900K 5G OC mode question

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hi. My question is. I have 9900K and mb: Asus Prime Z390-A.

To oc to 5ghz i used 5G OC MODE in UEFI ,turned on and restarted.

All rest stock settings: Intel Turbo: Enabled, MCE: Auto ( disabled ).

Then i use XMP apply.

And thats all? I passed 3dmarks and cinebench and try to games.

Also my clock is stable on 3dmark 5ghz in cpu test. When i tried use MCE:ON ( remove all limits ), my clock in 3dmark time spy cpu test was fluctuating sometimes to 4800ghz from 5000mhz. I dont know why. Can somebody explain me this behaviour? Using 5G OC MODE is not going down to 4800mhz.

Cpu cooler is Noctua NH-D15 ,temps are normal.

So keep that 5g oc mode or back to MCE ON?

Today i updated bios to newest 0805.
25 REPLIES 25

Telstar
Level 9
You can tweak further by following one of the many guides online (including asus one on newegg channel). It is already a good thing that temperatures are in check with the auto-overclock mode.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
When i tried use MCE:ON ( remove all limits ), my clock in 3dmark time spy cpu test was fluctuating sometimes to 4800ghz from 5000mhz. I dont know why. Can somebody explain me this behaviour? Using 5G OC MODE is not going down to 4800mhz.

Also get t his on new bios and older. Sometimes WHEA LOGGER 19 INternal parity will pop up. Like 2 warnings of each day. Should i worry?
I played new Metro 10 hours and after i check events and got this:

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
The event logs indicate errors.

Test stability with a combination of Intel XTU stress test and Real Bench. Testing a CPU OC with a graphics benchmark suite isn't going to tell you anything worth knowing about CPU stability.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
The event logs indicate errors.

that's the stupid dcom error - usually innocuous.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
yeah but it pop up out of the blue i dont know why, cause all is stable. Ok i run real bench no warnings , but i will be sure after 15 min stress test.

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Ok i am getting some WHEAS during RealBench. Yeah so what to do now? What change in UEFI

I am getting WHEA logger 19 , when running RealBench and sometimes on idle.
Cpu is 9900K oced to 5ghz in uefi . I used 5G Oc profile.
2x16 GB DDR4 3000MHZ GSKILL.

Cpu Core/ Cache Voltage in Uefi is 0.932v ( auto )
CPU VCCIO Voltage is 1.312 ( auto )

Ok i entered 1.290 v in cpu core/ cache voltage and and whea 1 appear. SO trying now 1.31v

92C max temp peak after 20 minutes 😮 its ok?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Have you considered trying the AVX Offset function? Real Bench utilises these instruction sets. If struggling to keep thermals in check, you may want to back off to 4.9 or revaluate your cooling solution.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

lpiotrowski211
Level 7
Hey. Have question. So actually cpu is overclocked by 5G OC PROFILE. I only change voltage manually and its fine,no wheas. But can i overclock to 5.1ghz and just manually enter 51?:) Or i must reset uefi and that 5g profile ?

Jane_Doe
Level 7
Whea-logger internal parity error cause voltage-vcore. So you are close to get stable OC I think. I m in similar situation like you, but I have 9600k. My cpu can work with 1.29v and 5.0Ghz but sometimes I got whea-logger event 19, same error like yours. I spent time and time and now it seams stable with 1.340v, for normal gaming temp will be about 69-70C, and stress above 80C, maybe 90C... In my case with voltage 1.29v I got one whea after 17 days... so that is not stable system and random whea error can crash system if not corrected. I talk with Intel about that whea and they tell me to try to fix whea with voltage ,if not, then maybe will ask Asus to check bios microcode for bugs, after that if not help RMA for new cpu. I need to said that whea is something bad, and I had in my life many cpu and havent any whea when OC, in that cases I had only watchdog errors and BSOD. So if you ask me, you need to be concerned with whea logger warnings. For your cpu I will try to use negative avx and use lower multi about x48.
Sry for my bad english 🙂