cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL553VD Fan won't turn on auto - GPU Temp/Hertz display in ROG gaming center problem

Ectoz
Level 7
Hi,
I had a problem with the fan who didn't turn on in auto mod. I had to change it to max manually in order to spare my notebook from overheating... Fixed that problem a few months ago by updating the BIOS/Firmware but now it has reappeared 😞 and the display temperature/Hertz consumption of my GPU in the ROG gaming center has gone crazy! I've updated every component drivers manually, since windows update can't do it properly by itself... Went to see if there was any new BIOS update on ASUS download center, but it doesn't seems like there's any. Searched the internet a bit for any advises with this issue ... unfortunately hadn't found any yet. If anyone can help me I would appreciate! My BIOS version is the 307
Thank you in advance!
9 REPLIES 9

tap002
Level 9
I believe the NVIDIA driver 418 or latest windows updates or combination of both broke Gaming Center. Re installing the ATK package and the windows store app Asus Kebyoard Hotkeys can sometimes regain control of the fans using the fn key.

vjdato21
Level 7
The latest NVIDIA's drivers has added a capability to shut off the GPU (dedicated) when you are not using it for games or programs, so it's normal. I'm having the same thing too, but when I launch games/applications that uses my dedicated GPU, the -1 MHz thing is now gone, and is now running at like 1189MHz (using GTX 960m, so lower GPU frequency). You should not mind that, it's normal, and actually good because it saves power and keeps the laptop chill during idle or normal tasks.

vjdato21 wrote:
The latest NVIDIA's drivers has added a capability to shut off the GPU (dedicated) when you are not using it for games or programs, so it's normal. I'm having the same thing too, but when I launch games/applications that uses my dedicated GPU, the -1 MHz thing is now gone, and is now running at like 1189MHz (using GTX 960m, so lower GPU frequency). You should not mind that, it's normal, and actually good because it saves power and keeps the laptop chill during idle or normal tasks.

Thank you for answering my post! I tried running a game and looking at the ROG gaming center while it plays. The information of the GPU effectively turn correct while playing. Still, I find the heat quite high for the fan not to start...

Ectoz wrote:
Thank you for answering my post! I tried running a game and looking at the ROG gaming center while it plays. The information of the GPU effectively turn correct while playing. Still, I find the heat quite high for the fan not to start...

Did you try using Overboost in the fan/maxing it out? If you tried it and it still doesn't work, try cleaning your laptop chassis and fan, if not working then; try replacing your fan/ask for fan replacement. Oh, and by the way, your laptop is extremely thermal throttled, I advice to get it remedied as soon as possible.

vjdato21 wrote:
Did you try using Hyperboost in the fan/maxing it out? If you tried it and it still doesn't work, try cleaning your laptop chassis and fan, if not working then; try replacing your fan/ask for fan replacement. Oh, and by the way, your laptop is extremely thermal throttled, I advice to get it remedied as soon as possible.

I can max the fan, it works fine, but if I let it in auto mod, the fan just doesn't start by itself when the GPU or the CPU is becoming hot. This is the main problem I'm posting about. I had it before, and fixed it by updating the BIOS/Firmware. Worked great for about 1 month, but now has stopped working properly. When the fan is on, it throttle at a nice 45° or around, so it's really a fan issue.

Ectoz wrote:
I can max the fan, it works fine, but if I let it in auto mod, the fan just doesn't start by itself when the GPU or the CPU is becoming hot. This is the main problem I'm posting about. I had it before, and fixed it by updating the BIOS/Firmware. Worked great for about 1 month, but now has stopped working properly. When the fan is on, it throttle at a nice 45° or around, so it's really a fan issue.

Mine is working though, it is too silent though so I encounter same problem as you do with thermals when it's set to Auto. My remedy only was setting it to Max/OverBoost.

P.S.:
Try to lend your ears on the vents of the laptop, I'm sure you'll hear the fan, but it's kinda silent though since the fan rotates slowly.

I'm am still having the trouble if anyone has any hint on how to fix this...

Ectoz wrote:
I'm am still having the trouble if anyone has any hint on how to fix this...

Did you managed to fix the problem? I'm having the same issue rn. I solved it a few months ago with the bios update (like you did), but now it seems to be broken again.

budekman
Level 7
I had exact problem like this too, need to set it to max so the fan working.