cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GX501GI No storage device (nvme ssd) detected

CHUWANT
Level 7
I took the 512GB SM961 m.2 SSD out for use in another system. Now the system (BIOS...Windows 10 USB... Windows 10 USB Setup) don't detect the disk. I've tried a LITE-ON 128GB as well as the very 512GB SM961 that I took out from the Zephyrus, and neither disk appears.

I've tried pulling the CMOS battery as well as using the Default Settings reset from within the UEFI BIOS (version 304). I've also tried toggling AHCI setting in the BIIOS. built a bootable USB running Windows 10 hoping that fiddling with the drivers or reflashing the BIOS may help.

Any advice? The SM961 that it won't detect is formatted and broken into partitions as Windows 10 setup does the partitioning (GPT main partition). The LITE-ON 128GB is an unformatted volume, not sure exactly.
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
I find your post confusing, specifically the first paragraph. Are you saying you took out the drive from the Zephyrus, then placed it in another notebook, then used that notebook successfully with that drive, then took it back out of that notebook, then put it back into the Zephyrus, and then the problem occurred? Did the Lite-On drive work in that second notebook?

Assuming that, make sure you have it in the first SSD slot, and also unplug any hard drive you have in it, then try starting it up. Also turn off CSM if you have that option in BIOS. See if any of that works.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
I find your post confusing, specifically the first paragraph. Are you saying you took out the drive from the Zephyrus, then placed it in another notebook, then used that notebook successfully with that drive, then took it back out of that notebook, then put it back into the Zephyrus, and then the problem occurred?

Thanks for replying. Yes, except the problem occurred immediately after removing the SM961 from the Zephyrus. I only popped it out of the Razer and placed it back into the Asus machine to test if it would be detected.

Did the Lite-On drive work in that second notebook?

Let's call second notebook Razer Blade. The Lite-On drive shipped with the Razer Blade, while the SM961 drive shipped with the Asus.

Assuming that, make sure you have it in the first SSD slot, and also unplug any hard drive you have in it, then try starting it up. Also turn off CSM if you have that option in BIOS. See if any of that works.

My Zephyrus GX501GI has only the one m.2 nvme pcie slot and no CSM option or UEFI/Legacy toggle option in BIOS, which a friend had suggested I look at.

FixGX501G
Level 7
@OP

You did not re-partition or created new virtual drives on SM961 when you placed into Razer Blade right? Especially you hopefully did not remove the OEM recovery or EFI partition.

Afaik the GX501GI is a TCG machine and the BIOS will not accept anything besides the original SM961 with original recovery and EFI partitions.

[EDIT]
When you put the SM961 to the Razor Blade, does it get detected? If so, can you check in windows partitioning tool what is displayed specifically?

In the past I have owned a GX501GI and I can confirm that my unit did not read normal sata m2 drives. It was only capable of reading pcie/nvme drives which is very strange because the model I got after returning my GX501GI at almost half the price - the GX501VSK - would read either with no problem.

Also I can confirm that the GX501GI was able to read other nvme ssd's other than SM961.