cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter to ASUS for addressing GL504 series problems [PLEASE SIGN]

McCoy
Level 8
PLEASE SIGN PETITION ON CHANGE.ORG- we hit 30! We need MORE!

Our threads on:
Linus Tech Tips
4PDA (RUS)

Dear ASUS employees,
I will provide detailed explanation of possible solutions that users of GL504 encountered.

On behalf of GL*04** owners community i kindly ask to take a very close look on information below, and provide support for ASUS consumers with your products.

Firstly, please understand that we are LOYAL CONSUMERS of ASUS RoG brand.
We're not offensive, but we act with integrity and ask to eventually solve problems with cooling system of GL series book under which they struggle from GL*02 generation. We did a lot of test, executed thousands of experiments and successfully obtained and diagnosed the issues with your products.

I ask you to provide following fixes in further BIOS update:

• FIX fan curve to eliminate any possible stuttering lags and freezes, fans are not correctly synchronized with temps - so they "delay" while adjusting to current temps. Due limited possibilities of adjustments that can be made in BIOS - we are not able solve this problem by ourselfs.
  • Adjust temperature thresholds: GPU and CPU to eliminate possible BiDirectional throttling triggering (BDPROCHOT).
  • Solve problem with Nahimic service, loss of sound. It's creepy, sick problem!
  • Come to your official RoG Forum, and join dialogue: we are eager to help you make your products better.

Above are ESSENTIAL issues to be fixed.

Following non-critical updates:

(!) Picture distorted picture while external monitor connected in "Monitor Only Mode"

Followed below by OPTIONAL items that can be implemented:

• Unlock manual fan control in RoG game center, which is used on baseline of "Overboost" mode to eliminate any possible risk of overheating. IMHO THERMALS MUST BE over noise.
  • Unlock XMP profiles options to make users able to use different RAM modules.
  • Hardcode undervolts for CPU and Cache voltages and GPU; - they GREATLY increase thermals and performance, but not solving fan issue, stuttering and lags - because fan curve is badly adjusted for all possible performance mods of GL-series.

IMHO, ASUS you're making brilliant products! But user, client, consumer values are ruined by this problems. Lack of communication and deaf ear to your community making situation even worse. I kindly ask to help us, people who spend their hard-earned money to enjoy your great products.

Thank you, we wish you very best.

I kindly ask EVERY OWNER of GL*04 series owners to sign this letter, and draw ASUS officials attention to this situation.

Please reply, share, promote by any possible meant this message. This is only way to receive solution for problems and make ASUS products better.
35 REPLIES 35

McPcholkin
Level 7
I fully support, I will also note an insufficient number of ventilation holes in the bottom cover, I have to drill them myself to reduce the temperature by 10 (!!!) degrees.

I also note the low quality of the choke-coils in the CPU power supply system, which causes COIL WHINE and you have to disable the processor's C1E instructions.

I fully support!!!
My GL504GM have sound serious problem.
When I bought this laptop, I immediately faced serios problem about audio disappearing randomly.
Asus,please help me thanks.

hexaae
Level 12
I support that, even though for me the only BIG issue is with inverse ghosting for AUO B173HAN03.2 displays (GL703GS series) as explained here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?107902-GL-Series-(-more)-display-panels-affected-by-invers...
which is an authentic manufacturing defect in many ASUS ROG laptop models, not a fine-tuning request like the above...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

Signed and supported! (Didnt find any external link to a petition, the subject is in itself?)
As an owner of a GL504GS that encounters the exact below two points

1.FIX fan curve to eliminate any possible stuttering lags and freezes, fans are not correctly synchronized with temps - so they "delay" while adjusting to current temps. Due limited possibilities of adjustments that can be made in BIOS - we are not able solve this problem by ourselfs.
2.Adjust temperature thresholds: GPU and CPU to eliminate possible BiDirectional throttling triggering (BDPROCHOT).

ps : McCoy, you're a gem.
ps2 : I finally found someone of experience providing thermal repast, i should have it done by next week (will use noctua nth1) can't wait to post my results and i'm wondering if i will be able to then unlock turbo boost and enjoy the 3.9ghz i goddamn payed for ;D

Unfortunatly the BIOS 307 did not bring the desired improvement. I like your laptops and the current Cooling design (GL504GM) is technically totally capeable of dealing with the temperatures. There must be something on the software side. It would be a shame if a have to sell my Laptop and buy from another manufacturer.

Please help us.

Regards

mp271901 wrote:
Unfortunatly the BIOS 307 did not bring the desired improvement. I like your laptops and the current Cooling design (GL504GM) is technically totally capeable of dealing with the temperatures. There must be something on the software side. It would be a shame if a have to sell my Laptop and buy from another manufacturer.

Please help us.

Regards

The cooling is 110% capable to handle even hotter hardware -> i greatly increased performance of m machine by applying cooling metal. At first it seemed things got better - but then, AGAIN stutters + lags + freezes.

Something is deffinetly wrong with fan curve and cooling alghorithms. It will super great if they will provide some tool which automatically identifies capabilities and adjust fan curve (like MSI Overclock Scanner, but for fans).

I've yet to receive my own 704 laptop but if this is an issue(s) I'll be dealing with, hell yeah I'll sign!

Nicnac712
Level 7
i agree with this and fully support. ASUS needs to start manning up

I fully support. ASUS should fix their top model. For what we pay money? For trash?