cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect USB 2.0 front on Maximus X Code together with RL Corsair hydro H150i PRO

albertowrath80
Level 7
Hi all!!

I will tell you a little about my problem to see if from another perspective you can give me some idea:

I have the following configuration:
- MB: Asus ROG Maximus X Code
- CASE: Thermaltake Suppressor F31
- RL: Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro

The box has on the upper front 2x USB 3.0 and other 2x USB 2.0. As the board internally only has 1 USB port, and it remains to connect 2 cables (the RL and two Usb 2.0 ports), I have released a row of pins of the USB 2.0 connector with a precision screwdriver and I put them in the connector of the RL to puncture it to the usb of the plate. I show you:

Remaining as follows:

The problem is that the USB 3.0 works fine, the functions of changing colors and polling temps of the RL also work, but USB 2.0 I cant make them work. Is there any explanation? What do I do wrong or have I overlooked? Does the board disable usb 2.0 when operating through 3.0? What do you have to connect to USB port 1314?

Thank you very much for the answers and the help, greetings to all!
11 REPLIES 11

davemon50
Level 11
You can use the following devices to help you with the configuration (without mutilating equipment or connectors):

USB 2 Hub

USB 3 Splitter
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
You can use the following devices to help you with the configuration (without mutilating equipment or connectors):

USB 2 Hub

USB 3 Splitter

Hi davemon50 and thanks a lot for your help!

I already known those gadgets, however I will keep it in mind for a future.

For now, what I intend to clarify the mystery, why dont usb 2.0 work together with the RL and what should i connect in the "USB 1314" port.

Thanks again, regards mate.

davemon50
Level 11
USB 1314 is your USB 2.0 header. If you connect your pump unit to that with the packaged USB 2.0 cable then you can control the pump through the Corsair Link software. You can leave it off if you don't wish to do so, because the pump still connects to SATA for power and to the CPU_FAN for motherboard. Be sure to connect to CPU_FAN so you don't have the system think there's no CPU cooling and give you an error or shutdown.

I'm still struggling to understand why you would rip apart the USB 2.0 cable and simply not use the devices I linked above if you are short on USB headers.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
USB 1314 is your USB 2.0 header. If you connect your pump unit to that with the packaged USB 2.0 cable then you can control the pump through the Corsair Link software. You can leave it off if you don't wish to do so, because the pump still connects to SATA for power and to the CPU_FAN for motherboard. Be sure to connect to CPU_FAN so you don't have the system think there's no CPU cooling and give you an error or shutdown.

I'm still struggling to understand why you would rip apart the USB 2.0 cable and simply not use the devices I linked above if you are short on USB headers.

I put together the connectors of the RL and a USB 2.0 because I thought that the board would not support so many devices and would have to do without one.

Currently I have connected the RL and 1 USB 2.0, the latter without working, but I would like it to be the two USB 2.0

Is it possible to have everything connected on the board without the need for external devices? If yes, how should I connect them?

Thank you so much for everything.

albertowrath80 wrote:
...Is it possible to have everything connected on the board without the need for external devices? If yes, how should I connect them?

When you say "everything" not sure what you mean. As I explained in the previous post you connect your pump to the CPU_FAN through the enclosed cable. You connect all your fans to the pump housing through the enclosed cable(s). The pump also has a SATA power connector (molex); connect it to your PSU. The USB 2.0 cable (there is only one for that model so far as I know) connects to the USB header (which is 1314 on your motherboard) - and that one is optional, if you don't want to control the pump through the Corsair Link software then just leave it off and don't connect it. What else is there? If there's something else then please give a list of each wire you have for clarity.

The following statement of yours I do not understand:
"Currently I have connected the RL and 1 USB 2.0, the latter without working, but I would like it to be the two USB 2.0"

As I said above, connect the USB 2.0 from the pump housing to the 1314 header on your board if you want to use Corsair Link, if not then you don't have to. What is this second USB you are talking about?
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
When you say "everything" not sure what you mean. As I explained in the previous post you connect your pump to the CPU_FAN through the enclosed cable. You connect all your fans to the pump housing through the enclosed cable(s). The pump also has a SATA power connector (molex); connect it to your PSU. The USB 2.0 cable (there is only one for that model so far as I know) connects to the USB header (which is 1314 on your motherboard) - and that one is optional, if you don't want to control the pump through the Corsair Link software then just leave it off and don't connect it. What else is there? If there's something else then please give a list of each wire you have for clarity.

The following statement of yours I do not understand:
"Currently I have connected the RL and 1 USB 2.0, the latter without working, but I would like it to be the two USB 2.0"

As I said above, connect the USB 2.0 from the pump housing to the 1314 header on your board if you want to use Corsair Link, if not then you don't have to. What is this second USB you are talking about?

There is some detail that escapes my knowledge. The computer has been given to me mounted and I'm trying to clarify things and correctly identify all the cables and devices but clearly I miss details ...

I will try to be clear. On the front of my tower I have two USB 2.0 ports and two other 3.0. The USB 3.0 works without problems, perfectly. The USB 2.0 ports do not.

Fixing us in the third image of the main post, the two cables on the left that are together are those that correspond to the USB 2.0 ports, and the one on the right comes from the RL Corsair, is exactly this one

I understand that to be 2 USB 2.0 ports in the same connector, each row of pins corresponds to a port, so I have released a row and I have connected to the connector of the RL, to at least have one enabled.

I currently use the Corsair Link program and it works correctly for me. Right now if it were possible I would like to enable USB 2.0 ports.

Forgive my doubts and my English, I speak Spanish and this, along with the knowledge I have, can make you confused.
Thanks again for everything.

davemon50
Level 11
So again, I will tell you:

Use THIS in the 1314 port. Connect your liquid cooler USB 2.0 and your front panel USB 2.0 to the port expansion device. Not sure what else you want to say, that's the way to do it.

The one all the way on the left bottom side of your motherboard is the audio connector from the case to the board, for the audio connections on the case.
Davemon50

Ok, I'll keep it in mind, thanks again for all the help given and your time, and apologize for the inconvenience.
Regards!

davemon50
Level 11
No problem, best wishes to get it all connected and working.
Davemon50