cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened? Please help! Max XI Hero+ i9 9900k

Sinistergrin138
Level 7
So I had recently completed a build in November 2018 with a i9 9900k, nzxt kraken x52, Maximus XI Hero(wifi), 2080 ti, 32 GB of trident z 3200, 1tb 870 evo nvme, seasonic prime 1000w platinum, all was good. I had a stable all core 5ghz oc and didn’t oc the memory. I purchased a second Maximus XI hero board second hand and tested it using my components. The board displayed a Q code of 00 so I figured either the pins were bent or something was seated wrong. After unplugging things multiple times and troubleshooting I figured the board was faulty. Upon rebuilding my original system I went to boot and received the same code 00. I’m in the process ofRMA for the i9 now as I assume it’s the COU but my question is how? I wore a ESD wrist band the whole time and I am very careful with handling components. This isnt my first build. I reset the OC to stock before tear down. I’m just not sure how either the CPU or board could have gotten damaged. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

UltraNEO_
Level 11
FIRST OF ALL...

You've not said where you built your system for testing. I assume it's in a case....

As part of hardware debugging. I would build my system OUTSIDE of the case, preferably on a wooden desk or the motherboard box (without anti-static bag) and ONLY install the the bare essentials. In the case of mainstream system, I'd drop the CPU into the board install a cooler and ONLY use ONE stick of memory in the appropriate slot. Before powering on, I'd HARD RESET the UEFI/BIOS by removing the battery completely (just to make sure), leave this out for about 30 seconds then reinsert it.

Please ensure you have the 4 or 8 pin CPU power inserted, otherwise your processor will not have sufficient power.

IF after all of this, there still an error. I would consider SWAPPING or USING another PSU. I would TRY everything BEFORE a CPU RMA.
I have been building computers all my life and I have never once had issues with Intel's Processors. MOST of the time it's user error or a power issue.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Thanks for the reply! I build all my systems on a small wooden table with an ESD modmat before putting into the system. After not being able to boot I have tried the cpu on a different power supply with different RAM all to the same effect. Also reset the BIOS. Just to make sure I wasn’t crazy I used an i5 9600K from a different system and it booted fine. Also yes I used the 8 pin. I’m pretty sure I’ve narrowed down the culprit to the CPU and already filed an RMA with intel (who oddly enough only wanted a picture of my CPU and copy of my receipt for purchase to issue a refund as they are “out of stock”) I’m more interested in what could have caused the death of the CPU since as I said I ran a very reasonable and stable OC, never had any excess thermal issues and take all precautions during assembly.* also as I am keeping the original i9 I would love to get it working again. In my experience CPUs are extremely hard to damage without either being reckless or succumbing to age, ESD etc.*

Sinistergrin138 wrote:
Thanks for the reply! I build all my systems on a small wooden table with an ESD modmat before putting into the system. After not being able to boot I have tried the cpu on a different power supply with different RAM all to the same effect. Also reset the BIOS. Just to make sure I wasn’t crazy I used an i5 9600K from a different system and it booted fine. Also yes I used the 8 pin. I’m pretty sure I’ve narrowed down the culprit to the CPU and already filed an RMA with intel (who oddly enough only wanted a picture of my CPU and copy of my receipt for purchase to issue a refund as they are “out of stock”) I’m more interested in what could have caused the death of the CPU since as I said I ran a very reasonable and stable OC, never had any excess thermal issues and take all precautions during assembly.* also as I am keeping the original i9 I would love to get it working again. In my experience CPUs are extremely hard to damage without either being reckless or succumbing to age, ESD etc.*

If you're absolutely sure it's the CPU, go ahead and RMA it or get it swapped from your reseller, it should be quicker.

However, what IF the issues aren't resolved once you've swapped the CPU?
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd be very wary of that second hand motherboard if it was me

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'd be very wary of that second hand motherboard if it was me

that was my first thought too

XYchromosone wrote:
that was my first thought too

Personally I prefer to avoid buying second hand hardware, unless they're from someone I trust.