cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

48GB RAM setup?

evilpaul13_
Level 7
Hey guys,

Is anyone using 48 GB of RAM (2x 16GB + 2x 8GB)?

I would kind of like a bump over 32GB without having to go all the way to 64GB. Will picking up a pair of 2x 16GB sticks with the same timings as the first work ok with 24GB in each channel?
10 REPLIES 10

Phillyflyer
Level 10
evilpaul13` wrote:
Hey guys,

Is anyone using 48 GB of RAM (2x 16GB + 2x 8GB)?

I would kind of like a bump over 32GB without having to go all the way to 64GB. Will picking up a pair of 2x 16GB sticks with the same timings as the first work ok with 24GB in each channel?

Mixing 2 kits of memory is not recommended....you will most likely encounter issues doing so.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Phillyflyer wrote:
Mixing 2 kits of memory is not recommended....you will most likely encounter issues doing so.

I currently have F4-3200C14D-16GTZR and want to get another same kit to upgrade to 32gb.
What kind of issues may i encounter? I have already asked about this to others on another forum and they had no issues doing so.
I wont be using XMP i will manually enter the Speed and timings, i will even drop the speed if i have to.

kens30
Level 11
Thanks for the link Arne Saknussemm.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nah, you're welcome...

Some people get lucky and combine kits and their IMC/setup can handle it...but it's advised against by all manufacturers and loads more people have trouble doing it than don't, from what I have seen.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Nah, you're welcome...

Some people get lucky and combine kits and their IMC/setup can handle it...but it's advised against by all manufacturers and loads more people have trouble doing it than don't, from what I have seen.

Bottom line, if you find yourself asking the question then it's probably best to avoid 😄
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Nah, you're welcome...

Just an update
I decided to just go for it and got another kit of F4-3200C14D-16GTZR and everything is working just fine at rated speeds and timings.
I ran HCI memtest 12 instances with 90% of 32gb and let it run to 800% coverage and not a single error.

What i always found weird is that originally with 16gb XMP gave me very high voltages of CPU VCCIO 1.15 and CPU System Agent Voltage of 1.35.
So i decided to not use XMP and manually enter frequency 3200mhz plus timings, default voltages for VCCIO 0.950 and System Agent to 1.050 ram 1.35v,
my RAM run just fine tested with HCI memtest.

Now with 32gb 4x8gb all slots populated ram still runs fine with VCCIO 0.950 and System Agent 1.050.
Does this mean i have great IMC?

kens30 wrote:
Does this mean i have great IMC?

Well maybe...certainly robust enough...it depends a bit....you might be lucky enough that the two kits are similar enough and the IMC is not taxed....or the IMC is built like a tank and loving the challenge...

Those voltages can give instability too high as well as too low so it's always good to tune...

And ASUS T topology boards favour 4 dimms

Just for the record:
Corsair
G.Skill

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Well maybe...certainly robust enough...it depends a bit....you might be lucky enough that the two kits are similar enough and the IMC is not taxed....or the IMC is built like a tank and loving the challenge...

Those voltages can give instability too high as well as too low so it's always good to tune...

And ASUS T topology boards favour 4 dimms

Just for the record:
Corsair
G.Skill

Thanks for all the info:)
Do i need to run other tests for stability or is HCI memtest ok as i tested up to 800%..
By the way i am only running stock clocks for CPU and no multi core enhancement at the moment.
I think my board is a T topology or is it not?