cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Overclocking failed!" I didn't OC anything tho

Mefu720
Level 7
Hi. I'm dealing with this problem since July 2016, but I guess I'll finally bother and try to fix this already.

Current specs:

MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 ROG Strix
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB, 3000MHz, CL15)
PSU: Corsair RM650X (650W, Modular, 80+ Gold)
+ SSD and 2 HDDs

As of right now whenever I try to boot up my PC for the first time that day nothing happens (fans are working and the lights light up inside, but nothing shows up on screen and the lights in for example mice don't light up). Then after rebooting this shows up:
So I enter the BIOS, click the Advanced Mode, and let these things load:
(If I don't do that, and instead just exit BIOS and boot up the system, then Windows thinks something aint right and tries to repair itself)

Well, it wasn't always like this. When I first have build my PC, the system was booting up just fine the first time, BUT it would always get a bluescreen after like 10-30 mins with those error codes:
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION win32k.sys
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ndis.sys
KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED ntfs.sys

(After restarting everything was working just fine once again, no more BS and random crashes on games and programs like Chrome)

This (the boot up on the first try, and bluescreens afterwards) stopped once I have upgraded to my current build, before the upgrade the specs were:

MOBO: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x4GB, 3000MHz, CL15)
PSU: Cooler Master G550M (550W, Modular, 80+ Bronze)
+ SSD and 1 HDD

So, I have changd my PSU, GPU, one extra HDD and 8 more gigs of RAM.

I would also like to note:
1. Extremely rare, but my BIOS froze a few times after entering it. That didn't happen in like a year now though.
2. My MOBO was damaged at the beginning, and just didn't work for some reason. I got it back repaired (not replaced) thanks to RMA.
3. I didn't touch anything in BIOS expect the boot order, so no overclocking done by me.

I've done some research, and from what I have read the most likely cause of this problem is RAM. [Here are my BIOS settings along with CPU-Z screens]

As I have said, before changing the sticks from 2x4GB to 2x8GB (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15 to CMK16GX4M2B3000C15) my PC would boot up to Windows on the first try, but end up with a bluescreen not so long after. Then after upgrading I'm stuck with what I have described at the beginning of this post. Before the upgrade and after it my RAM speeds are always 2133MHz instead of 3000MHz, and my CPU seems to be somewhat overclocked a little anyway (based on the clock speeds showing up in Windows).

Sooo, how can I deal with this? Along with fixing this I would also like to finally (and hopefully) overclock my CPU to 4,5GHz and fix the RAM to run on 3000MHz instead of 2133MHz. Hope you guys can help, cheers
15 REPLIES 15

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Have you tried setting XMP profile for your RAM?

Extreme tweaker tab....AI overclock tuner....set XMP profile

Also, I would consider a fresh OS install if it has had a lot of BSODs over a long period of time.

Run "sfc /scannow" in administrator CMD prompt window to check system files

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Have you tried setting XMP profile for your RAM?

Extreme tweaker tab....AI overclock tuner....set XMP profile

Also, I would consider a fresh OS install if it has had a lot of BSODs over a long period of time.

Run "sfc /scannow" in administrator CMD prompt window to check system files

This is how it looks like in bios

So, I guess the Profile is already set by default?

And my OS seems to be fine, the bsods as I said have stopped after that upgrade

Mefu720
Level 7
Since I haven't really touched anything in bios expect the boot order, maybe those settings are leftovers after the repair dudes testing if my mobo is working correctly?

[Here's an album of all my RAM related settings in bios]

Maybe I should update the BIOS to the latest version?
Or change the voltages?
Or change the values somewhere so it will actually run on 3000MHz and match the XMP profile?

NemesisChild
Level 12
Your DRAM voltage looks low at 1.20v. Isn't that a 1.35v set?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If I were you, I'd go into BIOS and load F5 defaults....F10 save and exit

Set XMP ...F10 save and exit

Reboot...go into BIOS and see what frequency is set and what voltage...and go from there. If XMP doesn't appear to work then maybe BIOS Flashback to latest BIOS and try again.

Mefu720
Level 7
Alright. I will update you guys on saturday once I'll have time to deal with this

NemesisChild wrote:
Your DRAM voltage looks low at 1.20v. Isn't that a 1.35v set?

It's set up correctly it seems, dunno why the voltages are lower

Mefu720 wrote:
Alright. I will update you guys on saturday once I'll have time to deal with this

It's set up correctly it seems, dunno why the voltages are lower

Have you looked at any software like HWMonitor to see what is reports for DRAM voltage?

We have seen this happen on a few boards where no matter what DRAM voltage is set in the bios, the actual never changes and is usually fixed at a voltage lower than what is needed to provide system stability. The way it was resolved was to RMA the board for a replacement. Unfortunately in your case you are probably beyond the RMA period.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Mefu720
Level 7

Yeah it's too late for me to file a RMA claim

Mefu720
Level 7
So, yeah. Fixed.

I can't believe I was this lazy and didn't bother to fix something so simple. All I did is F5 F10 and set up XMP again, and bam it works on the correct speeds now (Everything shows up correctly in BIOS, CPU-Z and Windows as well)

I guess the reason this whole thing happened is either XMP or the people who repaired my MOBO left the DRAM Frequency on 3021MHz, hence the "overclocking failed!".

Now I would like to OC my CPU to like 4.5GHz, how do I get started? Just change the "1-Core Ratio Limit" to 45 and "Sync All Cores"? Or should I play with other settings as well?