cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem: where do I connect the two ssd m2 970pro on maximus xi extreme?

theotorm
Level 9
Hello everyone, I have a maximus xi extreme with 8700K and 2 M2 Samsung 970Pro 512gb. From what I've read here, if I insert two ssd m2 into the DIMM2 adapter, my speed of the pci express slot will go from 16x to 8x, in the case of sli at 4x + 4x, is this true? because I read a lot of different opinions !!! If instead I insert the two M2 on the motherboard slots, what speed limitations could I have in general, would I still slow down the PCI-express slot? I also intend to do an SLI of 2080ti (for now I have only one) thank you very much to those who will answer me. Francis
1 REPLY 1

davemon50
Level 11
I don't have your board but the way I read your manual your DIMM.2 shares lanes with your first pcie x16 slot off your CPU. You have a 16 lane CPU, so the math would suggest yes you are x8 on your GPU in that slot if you use both DIMM.2 drives, in fact probably the same result if you only use one of them since you still won't have 16 remaining. You have 24 total lanes off the PCH (some of which are used by default for other resources) so you might want to use the midboard M.2 sockets instead, which share those particular lanes. There may be other limitations in that configuration but I don't find the users manual specific enough to determine it.
Davemon50