cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclocking for the first time in 5 years

Groda
Level 7
Greetings everyone,

I recently joined because I ran into some issues trying to overclock my i9-9900k and I thought the ROG forums would probably be able to help me out since I'm using a ROG motherboard.

These are the settings I have changed so far in the BIOS:
AI Overclock Tuner: XMP1
ASUS MCE: Disabled
Long Duration Package Power Limit: Maxed out (downclocked during stress testing otherwise)
Short Duration Package Power Limit: Maxed out (downclocked during stress testing otherwise)
CPU Core Ratio: Sync all cores to 50
CPU Core/Cache voltage: Manual, Core Voltage Override: 1.3

(Last time I attempted overclocking that is, currently it's sitting at MCE disabled and XMP1 enabled everything else at default)

So I have a few questions:

Q1: I keep running into that it pulls down the clock frequency with hwinfo showing:
RING: Max VR voltage, ICCmax, PL4
IA: Electrical Design Point/Other (ICCmax, PL4,...)

Set to "YES". I'm guessing I have missed some power limit settings in the BIOS that causes this to happen? When I have MCE enabled it doesn't throttle down like this, but I heard it can introduce more instability and higher temps so I'd rather avoid it?

Q2: I've read that the ASUS motherboards tend to overshoot with VCCIO and SA voltages if left on auto, with XMP turned on my motherboard sets VCCIO to 1.328v and SA voltage to 1.216v. Should I try to decrease them since from what I read that VCCIO is quite high? And will decreasing them reduce temps in any meaningful way?

Q3: When I run stress test with a voltage set to 1.3v I seem to get up to 1.32v vcore reads from HWinfo. I haven't adjusted the LLC and it defaults to Level 6 I think? Should I lower the LLC level to try and get rid of that overshoot?

Q4: What stress test is it generally recommended to run these days? I did prime95 last time I did my overclocking but now I keep reading how it's unneccessarily punishing and hot? At anything over like 1.27v I reach like 90-95 degrees in prime95. (thought it was a cooler mount issue, but I tried to remount it today with non stock thermal paste and it even runs a tad hotter than it did previously...)

Q5: I have my radiator mounted in the front of my case with 3 fans pulling air in. I have two of the original case fans at the top of my case pushing air out and the last case fan mounted in the back pushing air out. I was told on another forum when I was looking for help that turning the top fans to pull air in instead over the CPU might help with temperatures? Could that be a possibility?

I've been struggling with this PC for over a month now and I'd quite like to get this sorted so any help you can provide is appreciated. Quite honestly I'm glad if I can just manage to get it stable at the max turbo frequency without it throttling down at this point. Searching through threads on various forums have been very confusing since literally every other post seems to imply different things. Last time I overclocked I had an overclock down in the span of a few days, though obviously I was unemployed back then and now I work so I don't have that much time to stress test and test different voltages now.
0 REPLIES 0