cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ch7 wifi wake on lan issue

elbubi141180
Level 7
Hi @Raja

I'm facing an issue since day 1 with this mobo, and hasn't been adressed in the latest BIOS (v1201):

The Intel Ethernet port stops responding to WOL magic packets after aprox. 24hs of computer being shutdown in power-off state (S5). In S3 it works just fine no matter how long it has been sleeping, but in S5 it works for some period (sometimes a day, sometimes less/more), but then it stops responding and only physical power-on is possible.

I have another machine on my LAN with asus board and intel nic (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3), with exactly same os and settings, and it doesn't behave this way.

Having use Wake on Lan/Wan for more than 10 years, I'm aware of all the "tricks" to make it work under power-off state (green lan, power saving options, windows fast boot, arp/mac fix binding entry on router's side, open ports, ddns, etc.), so I'm 99.9% confident is not an end user issue.

I've tried more than 10 different driver versions so I kind of ruled that out too, only remaining thing to think of is a BIOS issue.

Could anybody on BIOS team please, please, PLEASE, take a deeper look at it?

Kindest regards and thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

elbubi141180
Level 7
¿@Raja? ¿@Anyone from Asus?

It may seem like a little issue to many people, but for those whom uses their pcs remotely every day of their life, its a actually a very big one.

Regards once again and thanks in advance.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi,

Does this issue occur at optimised defaults? (No overclocking and no XMP enabled).
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Hi,

Does this issue occur at optimised defaults? (No overclocking and no XMP enabled).

Hi Silent Scone.

First of all, THANKS for paying attention to this issue.

I have NO cpu overclocking, but I'm using Stilt's RAM profile (3200 CL14 Safe).

Nevertheless, at least under bios 0601 the issue occured also with no OC at all (nor cpu nor ram). Haven't tested that condition under 1201.

Do you think the ¿bug? might have any connection to that?

Let my clarify again that WOL works perfectly fine when system is under sleep (S3 mode), the issue only comes up when system is powered off (S5 mode)

I'm willing to help and to try anything in order to contribute to solve this unwanted behaviour.

Kindest regards and thanks once again for your will to help.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Please note that 3200MHz is an overclock. Failures to resume from S3/S5 usually point to memory instability so need to clarify if the issue happens at complete optimised defaults.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Please note that 3200MHz is an overclock. Failures to resume from S3/S5 usually point to memory instability so need to clarify if the issue happens at complete optimised defaults.

Thanks once again for your reply.

I am running FULL STOCK now. Will test overnight and wait +12 hours to wol it tomorrow morning.

Will let you know tomorrow.

Regards!

Bad news. This is what I got running full stock:

8pm => ShutDown (S5)
10pm => WOL responsive => SUCCESS
11pm => ShutDown (S5)
10am => WOL unresponsive => FAILURE (succesful button power on, like 100% of the time)
18pm => ShutDown (S5)
20pm => WOL unresponsive => FAILURE

I guess that, sadly, it seem that mem oc has nothing to do with unresponsive WOL.

Willing to try anything you say to help troubleshoot this issue.

Regards!

Any news or hints?

Cheers!

elbubi141180
Level 7
Updating this thread with last findings:

Been able to narrow this issue down further with +100 tests (You don't imagine how much this issue complicates my daily life)

Resume from S5 after +1 day does NOT work ONLY when S3 state has been inmediatly active prior to S5 and no restart has been performed in between.

EXAMPLE 1 - WOL NOT WORKING (AFTER +1 days of beint spent off):

1) POWER ON
2) SLEEP (S3)
3) RESUME FROM SLEEP
4) POWER OFF (S5)
5) WOL NOT WORKING

EXAMPLE 2 - WOL WORKING

1) POWER ON
2) POWER OFF
3) WOL WORKING 100%

EXAMPLE 3 - WOL WORKING

1) POWER ON
2) SLEEP (S3)
3) RESUME FROM S3
4) RESTART
4) POWER OFF (S5)
5) WOL WORKING 100%

Hope this helps to fin the bug in bios or in drivers or wherever it is to solve this issue!