cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Laing DDC at 20,000 rpm

match69
Level 7
Hi All,
I am using an Asus C6H and two Laing DDC pumps in series in an aquacomputer dual top. The pumps are connected to 12v and the sense wires are connected to Cpu and Cpu opt. Using AISuite III and in BIOS it reports ©21,000-23,000 rpm on both pumps (well AISuite reports 9999rpm for Cpu fan). I accept that they can't or shouldn't be running at that speed but is there any way to get the correct speed displayed? Temps are good. Any help would be gratefully received.
Mark.
5 REPLIES 5

UltraNEO_
Level 11
match69 wrote:
Hi All,
I am using an Asus C6H and two Laing DDC pumps in series in an aquacomputer dual top. The pumps are connected to 12v and the sense wires are connected to Cpu and Cpu opt. Using AISuite III and in BIOS it reports ©21,000-23,000 rpm on both pumps (well AISuite reports 9999rpm for Cpu fan). I accept that they can't or shouldn't be running at that speed but is there any way to get the correct speed displayed? Temps are good. Any help would be gratefully received.
Mark.

Curious. WHY are you connecting them to the CPU and CPU_OPT?
What motherboard you using? and does it not water pump headers somewhere?

Hmm.. Normally DDC Pumps should be running around 4400 ~ 4700 RPM.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

UltraNEO* wrote:
Curious. WHY are you connecting them to the CPU and CPU_OPT?
What motherboard you using? and does it not water pump headers somewhere?

Hmm.. Normally DDC Pumps should be running around 4400 ~ 4700 RPM.

Hi UltraNEO, thanks for responding. My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VI Hero (C6H). Yes, it has got a water pump header but it is a single 4 pin connexion. I thought for quite a while how to power both pumps and arrived at my current solution. I did think of putting one pump in the AOI connector and the other in the water pump mb connector, either wired straight in with the mb 4 pin connectors or just sense wires to the mb and psu 12 v but I didn't like that idea aesthetically [sic]. I had a two way splitter to connect both pumps to the water pump header but I thought that there may be a conflict with both sense wires connected to one header. Also the pumps were supplied with a psu 4 pin molex connector for power and a smaller 4 pin pwm connector for speed and tacho signals. I thought of connecting both pumps into the single 4 pin water pump connector too and just using one of the pump sense wires in the 4 pin connector. There was also the fact that I was using 2 Laing DDC 1T PMW Special pumps (not plus). I accept that at 2x10 watts could have been handled by the water pump connector, rated at 30 watts I believe but I thought it safer to go with the 12v molex connector for power. This seemed about the easiest arrangement. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Primo case and I use the aio connector for the case fan pwm hub. Thanks again for responding.
Mark.

match69 wrote:
Hi UltraNEO, thanks for responding. My motherboard is an Asus Crosshair VI Hero (C6H). Yes, it has got a water pump header but it is a single 4 pin connexion. I thought for quite a while how to power both pumps and arrived at my current solution. I did think of putting one pump in the AOI connector and the other in the water pump mb connector, either wired straight in with the mb 4 pin connectors or just sense wires to the mb and psu 12 v but I didn't like that idea aesthetically [sic]. I had a two way splitter to connect both pumps to the water pump header but I thought that there may be a conflict with both sense wires connected to one header. Also the pumps were supplied with a psu 4 pin molex connector for power and a smaller 4 pin pwm connector for speed and tacho signals. I thought of connecting both pumps into the single 4 pin water pump connector too and just using one of the pump sense wires in the 4 pin connector. There was also the fact that I was using 2 Laing DDC 1T PMW Special pumps (not plus). I accept that at 2x10 watts could have been handled by the water pump connector, rated at 30 watts I believe but I thought it safer to go with the 12v molex connector for power. This seemed about the easiest arrangement. I have a Phanteks Enthoo Primo case and I use the aio connector for the case fan pwm hub. Thanks again for responding.
Mark.

Since you're using two DDC's. From my experience, pretty much every AIO's on the market with the exceptions of a few, use DDC pumps in it's block. So knowing this, it would be more logical to use one in the AIO_PUMP header for the CPU and the W_PUMP+ header for the other loop. This would allow you to power both pumps from the motherboard and monitor their performance.

The main difference between DDC's and D5 pumps is head pressure, the DDC pumps are meant to have way more but they do it with more noise usually..

Myself, I use two D5 Vario pumps in my setup. However, I choose not to power them from the motherboard, instead they're powered directly from the PSU via molex and each of the sensors goes into dedicated channels on my fan-controller (one for each loop). This way I get manual control over their monitor them through software that can crash or become inaccessible during gaming.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

match69
Level 7
Hi UltraNEO, thanks for your help. I only have one loop and both pumps are in the same pump top in series. I agree that if I had two loops it would make perfect sense to run them independently on the Aio and Water pump headers.
Mark.

match69 wrote:
Hi UltraNEO, thanks for your help. I only have one loop and both pumps are in the same pump top in series. I agree that if I had two loops it would make perfect sense to run them independently on the Aio and Water pump headers.
Mark.

The previous solution is still viable, since it'll allow you to monitor the pumps performance. As an alternative, if you prefer, you could use a simple PWM splitter of one header.

OR, If your worried about pulling too much power from your motherboard, there's a PWM splitter with SATA molex power.