cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which BIOS settings must be applied to update the G752VS NVMe drivers

Smart_at_99
Level 7
Hi fellows,

from time to time it happends that my ROG (G752VS - details at the end) performs automatic reboot, esp. when i play World of Warships - it also happened during other games, but during WoW it happens for sure.
In the event logs i have seen an error as mentioned below and therfore i started to search within the internet.

-

0x80000000000000

System
SMART-PC-ASUS

-
\Device\HarddiskVolume5
000000000100000000000000A10004C081000200010000C000000000000000000000000000000000

In a thread i found a hint to use the latest samsung drivers (Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.1 - both of my disks are supported by the tool) for the NVMe devices instead of the MS standard drivers (date: 21.06.06 - version 10.0.17763.1). But the installation routine of the tool tells me "Samsung NMV Express device is not connected. Connect the device and try again".

For this kind of error a found a other hint, saying that no RAID config should be set in the BIOS.
In the "Advanced" options i haven seen the "SATA Mode Selection" parameter is set to "RAID"
At this point the HD and the BlueRay Player were displayed ...
Serial ATA Port 0: Hard Disk
Serial ATA Port 1: ATAPI CDROM

So i thought that changing the entry from "RAID" to "AHCI" might solve the problem, since we got 2 different devices (HD and CDROM - so how should RAID work in this case). Save and Exit

--> Windows didn't boot anymore, that means the ROG Logo was shown and it seems that the OS tried to be started in the background, but after ~5 sec. it performed a reboot.
After 3 failed attempts, the Repair Option of MS started.
I restarted the system again and within the BIOS I changed the "SATA Mode Selection" from "AHCI" back to "RAID".
After that the system start was working fine.

Does anyone know how to update those NVMe drivers?
Can someone help me?

System Setup:
ASUS ROG G752VS (GTX1070 + 16GB RAM)
Disk - 1x HD - NVMe Samsung SSD 960 (boot - Windows10 Home incl. latest Patches)
1x HD - NVMe Samsung SSD 970 (gaming disk)
1x HD - Travelstart 1TB (defaul delivery - data disk)
1x BD - BlueRay Player (default delivery)

Thx,
Martin

PS: i searched wihtin the forum for a smiliar case but couldn't anything - please forgive me if i missed a post
11 REPLIES 11

jdfrench3
Level 12
What model G752 do you have?

Run dxdiag.exe and confirm your model.

Do you have two Nvme drives or just one?

In RAID mode you are using a Windows/Intel driver to build the storage function. RAID 0 generally has more than one drive.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Hi,

Yes i got 2 SSD NVMe up and running as well as one SATA HD and the BlueRay device.
here a min. of the required output - hopefully not all information might be nec.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
System Model: G752VS
BIOS: G752VS.306 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16320MB RAM
Page File: 5421MB used, 13330MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

In the installation instr. for the NVMe drivers it is written (see all requirements and BIOS settings below) - "Windows Operating System shall successfully load the driver only when ..." --> does it mean that no SATA HD should exist in environement - i will disconnect the SATA HD and try to install the drivers again.

#######################################################
System Requirements: The driver supports Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Recommended system configuration (minimum): Intel Haswell Refresh Processor - 2GB RAM - 50MB free disk space - UEFI Bios v2.3

System Configuration:
Windows Operating System shall successfully load the driver only when Samsung NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO or950 PRO is installed to PCIe slot directly connected to CPU or M.2 or PCIe slot connected to PCH. However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System cannot load the driver under following BIOS configurations where PCH Storage Configuration isset to “Raid Mode, or NAND/Storage Remapping option*”is enabled.

* The option name can be different according to M/B manufacturers. Please refer to your M/B manual.
#######################################################

OK, with your system running in a RAID format, the Samsung drivers cannot be used. As I stated earlier, the RAID 0 configuration is using a Windows/Intel (RST) driver to build the RAID storage space across both your drives.

Now you could reconfigure your laptop using the ACHI BIOS option (this would separate the drives) and reinstall windows on one of the NVMe drives and use the other drive for storage. Before doing this make a complete copy of all your data and the eSupport Folder. With separated NVMe drives, the Samsung driver could be used.
Homebuilt Windows Server

I'm confused, why is Windows thinking that i got a RAID 0 (stripping - 1 SSD for windows / 1 SSD for gaming / 1 SATA for data).
The system was installed in January (from scratch) since i replaced the original SDD with the Samsung SSD.
During the time of the Windows installation all other devices where disconnected - they were added after the successful installation.

Thx for the hint of the "eSupport Folder".
I guess i want perform a scratch installation within the next days even if it is quite simple and fast, but the ASUS is also used by other users 😉

I found a similar case and posted a question there as well, but this thread is almost 1,5 year old
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?92814-Problem-installing-Samsung-NVME-drivers&p=762288#pos...

What i did so far related to the above thread
I disabled the "Secure Boot" Control" and enabled the CSM, but the driver tool is still not recognizing the disks.

You stated that you have two NVMe drives and that your BIOS is set to RAID. What part of this is confusing? The RAID setup is for your BOOT Drive (having your OS on it). ASUS has taken the RAID 0 storage (composed of both your two NVMe drives) and made two partitions (what you think are SSD for Windows and SSD for gaming are in fact two partitions on the RAID 0).

The fact that you also have a SATA drive has nothing to do with the RAID O setup. The same can be said of the ATAPI drive.

If I were you, (what I did) is install two new NVMe drives. Keep your original NVMe drives to be used if you return your laptop for repairs. For starters using Macrium Reflect make a copy of your RAID O and use this copy to reinstall Windows. This is a rather complicated process but can be done. If you are a novice I would suggest you seek help.

Read the Sticky Guide on installing Windows the proper way (UEFI).
Homebuilt Windows Server

I guess it got it, but i mentioned that the SATA is setup as RAID in the Advanced Options of the BIOS.
"In the "Advanced" options i haven seen the "SATA Mode Selection" parameter is set to "RAID"
I have never created a RAID

Smart_at_99 wrote:
I guess it got it, but i mentioned that the SATA is setup as RAID in the Advanced Options of the BIOS.
"In the "Advanced" options i haven seen the "SATA Mode Selection" parameter is set to "RAID"
I have never created a RAID

I have the ASUS G752VSK model with two 512GB NVMe Samsung 960 Pro SSD in RAID 0. I also have a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. My BIOS is different than yours but should be similar.

In my BIOS, on the Advanced\SATA Selection Page, SATA Mode Selection is set to: Intel RST Premium

In my BIOS, on the Advanced Page, Intel Rapid Storage Technology is listed. On the Advanced\Intel Rapid Storage Technology page the Intel RST RAID driver being used is listed and below list the RAID volumes themselves. This page also lists the Non-RAID Physical Disks. On the Advanced\Intel RST\RAID Volume Info page the RAID Member Disks on PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0 are listed.

In my BIOS, on the Boot page, Fast Boot is enabled, CSM Support is disabled, Boot Option #1 is Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume 1)

Your SATA Mode Selection should be set to ACHI if you have no further mention of a RAID. Compare my configuration above with yours. If you're not running a RAID then change the SATA Mode Selection to ACHI and reload Windows. Remember to save your data and a copy of the eSupport Folder before you begin.

Once you have your SATA Mode Selection set to ACHI then your Samsung SSDs will be properly identified within Windows and the Samsung drivers applied.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

thx for your settings
in may case it looks like - American Megatrends with version 306.

Advanced - Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology - Non-RAID Physical Disks
SATA 0.0, ...
PCIe 1.0, Samsung SSD 960 Evo 500GB
PCIe 2.0, Samsung SSD 970 Evo 1TB

Boot - Fast Boot --> enabled
Boot - Launch CSM --> disabled
Boot - Boot Option #1 (Windows Boot Manager (Sasmsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB)

I also tried with the enabled CSM, but the situation didn't change.

Security - Secure Boot menu - Secure Boot control --> disabled
This one was enabled before, but in the above mentioned thread it had been set to "disabled" - state before was "enabled"

Advanced - SATA Configuration - SATA Mode Selection --> RAID
I have left the BIOS by setting the mode to AHCI --> reboot, reboot, reboot, repair mode was started.

jdfrench3 wrote:
I have the ASUS G752VSK model with two 512GB NVMe Samsung 960 Pro SSD in RAID 0. I also have a 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD. My BIOS is different than yours but should be similar.

In my BIOS, on the Advanced\SATA Selection Page, SATA Mode Selection is set to: Intel RST Premium

In my BIOS, on the Advanced Page, Intel Rapid Storage Technology is listed. On the Advanced\Intel Rapid Storage Technology page the Intel RST RAID driver being used is listed and below list the RAID volumes themselves. This page also lists the Non-RAID Physical Disks. On the Advanced\Intel RST\RAID Volume Info page the RAID Member Disks on PCIe 1.0 and PCIe 2.0 are listed.

In my BIOS, on the Boot page, Fast Boot is enabled, CSM Support is disabled, Boot Option #1 is Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume 1)

Your SATA Mode Selection should be set to ACHI if you have no further mention of a RAID. Compare my configuration above with yours. If you're not running a RAID then change the SATA Mode Selection to ACHI and reload Windows. Remember to save your data and a copy of the eSupport Folder before you begin.

Once you have your SATA Mode Selection set to ACHI then your Samsung SSDs will be properly identified within Windows and the Samsung drivers applied.

Good Luck

After creating a full image of your C:\ SSD or SSD's
you can change your SATA from RAID to AHCI without data loss

https://www.tenforums.com/customization/104898-switch-raid-ahci.html

If it turns out that you were running a RAID 0 on your two SSD no worries just restore your Disk/SSD/volume Image to whichever SSD you want to have your OS on. the other SSD will be a Storage drive or whatever you want to do with it.

Macirum Reflect free is very good at making and restoring disk images and back up as well. Here is a tutorial on how to use MR

There are no performance improvements using the Samsung NVME driver or are there any improvements using any NVME driver over the Intel RST driver your running on right now. In fact, if you are running RAID 0 you will lose some performance since you will be writing and reading to a single SSD rather than stripping the data up between two SSD.

I have run 850 Pro's 960 Pro m.2 NVME and 970 EVO m.2 NVME all on both RAID and NVME drivers, there are no detectable differences in performance between IRST and NVME drivers on these SSD
Personally, I don't trust RAID 0 for OS as it is just too easy to bonk the Volume and restoring takes time
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro