cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Girlfriend opps - can I still make it work?

Axsom
Level 7
I have a GeForce 1070 and a couple of weeks ago was telling my FG how nice it would be to have a second one so I could SLI link them together. Today I received a package and when I opened it up there was a new video card. In my excitement of realizing she was actually listening to me and even got me one I almost looked over the fact of what she got. Now I'm not disappointed but she didn't get me a matching GeForce 1070 but got me an ASUS ROG GeForce RTX 2070 DirectX 12 ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card.

So, I'm only mildly tech savvy. Can these be SLI linked together? I don't want to do any damage to either one and be stuck without either...
6 REPLIES 6

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Unfortunately no. The GPUs have to be of the same generation with the same amount of memory to be SLId

Sooo, while it was a nice gesture...I'd RMA the girlfriend

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Unfortunately no. The GPUs have to be of the same generation with the same amount of memory to be SLId

That's what I thought, they had to match in mem and series number. Still it will be an upgrade...
Unfortunately, an RMA of the girlfriend isn't an option either as she does look much better that the new video card. And as much as I expect the graphic update to be in VR. She does have aspects not available yet in VR **wink wink*

Thank you for confirming what I had thought... Much appreciated...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

RMAing the girlfriend... i'm dead 藍
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

panzlock
Level 12
Axsom wrote:
... got me an ... ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-O8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card.

Now you don't need the girlfriend.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

kkn
Level 14
the 2070 it the equation of the 1080 from last gen.
look on youtube for comparison or google it.

mdzcpa
Level 12
The 2070 will give you a nice boost even without SLI. Hug your GF!