Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery - asus rog strix scar ii 2019

markec872
Level 7
Hello,

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought yesterday ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II (i7 8750H, RTX 2070 etc...) and this laptop is my first laptop i ever owned in my whole life... So the question is... If i plug in the charger while hardcore gaming on it for like 4-5 hours will it damage my battery over time because it will be always on 100% charged and still plugged in? Please help me i dont wanna destroy this baby... 😞
BTW, when i plug out charger from device, i lose option for display overdrive - it goes back to 60hz instead of staying to 144hz and brightness level goes down for like 10% and most important thing "TURBO" mode is disabled if notebook is not connected to charger... Thanks forward to your responses.
11 REPLIES 11

moses0101
Level 7
Of course the laptop is not gonna let you use the overdrive and turbo mood. Simply because it will draw much power from your battery which will cause the battery drop to 0% around 25-40 min depends what game u play on.

I'm using the same model as yours , just the graphics is running rtx2060. And tbh, the battery capacity is very low for this model. I used it to watch youtube and do nothing, even in power saving mode the battery went to 10% just in 80min. (reminder: the gpu will not run with the full potential when its in battery mode).

Idk how asus manage their battery after you charge to 100% but trust me your battery will not perform as good as first time after certain time (for all laptops).

If you still want to unlock the frame limit or fan limit , maybe there's a way to do that in Bios or change your "power option" to balance mode or high performance (I didn't try it bf but u can try it yourself).

Personally I would leave it plugged in while gaming if I can. The brightness and other settings while on battery you can change under advanced settings; of your power plan, in windows settings. Asus software that allows for turbo and other settings are not available while on battery. Asus has a windows 10 store app "Asus Battery Health Charging" that will limit how far you can charge your battery. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101811-Want-to-preserve-your-battery-s-lifespan-Use-ASUS-B... check your support page. I've seen some posts of earlier ASUS models that would use battery power even while plugged in (during demanding gaming); some said it was underpowered chargers.
Should you leave your laptop plugged in? https://www.wired.com/2013/09/laptop-battery/ …….. https://www.howtogeek.com/124715/should-i-leave-my-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time/

Thanks to both of u for your help guys!!
I am going to read all those articles and decide what to do on my own risk...
One more question...
I played PUBG for like 2-3 hours and my cpu went rly hot - almost 100 celsius... (it was around 88-93 most of the time) and gpu went max 78 celsius... Is it rly bad for laptop or?... I read on Intel's website that cpus can handle around 100-110 celsius before automatic turn off comes to prevent overheating and potentially damaging internal components...
Lets get back to my temps... is 95 for cpu and around 80 for gpu a huge risk to have it on for like 4-5 hours of intense gameplay or?Turbo boost fan mode was on all the time. My room temperature is around 24-26 and thats making it even worse i guess but i cant do anything against that... And for example if i play league of legends or rainbow six siege cpu never goes more then 75-80 celsius and for gpu to be honest i cant remember...

I NEED YOUR OPINIONS ON THAT WHOLE MESSEGE!

Thanks forward for all your responses, have a nice day!

markec872, These laptops run hot! Personally I believe to hot and that over time it will degrade the lifetime of the laptop. It is my first gaming laptop, but from what I've read they do run hot compared to others. Using a cooling pad or a vacuum cooler will help a little if portability is not crucial to you. How far you want to go down this cooling rabbit hole is up to you. here are 100 + pages of suggestions: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89061-GL702VM-amp-similar-Solution-to-Performance-issues-O...
Use the Asus battery health app and a cooler when at home or were is can be used. Your tempatures are normal compared to other users.

tap002, first of all i want to thank you for your free time and wish to help me... I rly respect that, thanks man! Yesterday i checked both links that u put in your comment up there. I understand that my battery will not last forever and that in the one point of it's life it will "die" ... So i have one question? Asus strix scar II is new laptop... 2019 model because of rtx gpus so my question here is is it possible to order an original battery from asus for example in 3 years from now... If my battery dies in 2-3 years (hope it will not) is it possible to order the same battery type for this model from ASUS. (dont want to put other batteries inside from other manofacturers even if they have same specs...) I cant find website that is selling asus's batteries for laptops... 😕

You can ask asus customer service for this question .. clarify with them is a better way to ask this.
Normally they won't sell it for you, instead they will change 1 for u.
But since your question is 3 years later after u bought this laptop.
IMO they will still have this model of the battery for several years , especially the model that you're currently using is new one. So u don't need to worry about the battery stock.
If you are planning to still bring out this laptop and play it without battery at outside, I think this is a bad idea if you using your laptop as a daily gaming station .
Why
- this model battery sucks
- your using as gaming station which means your battery won't be as healthy as a normal usage one.
- "normally" battery will be dead once your warranty is over.

Dude, GAME ON!!! Cross that battery path when the time comes. I'm sure by time it fails you will have a new pc or there will be after market batteries you can replace yourself.

I'm using this model also and I am not satisfied for the temperature rn.
I'm also using this as a daily gaming station
Going to re-paste a high end thermal paste later on for the sake of performance.

Also, for the sake of better heat control. im not gonna let the temperature over-heating to somehow damage my motherboard

Well... i am using this for gaming desktop replecment... i know its not a good desition but... I cant choose anything else due to i have a new room and space is ****ed up... like 30 cm above my desk is mounted stand for tv... and when i put tv in near future on it monitor will be in front of tv and it will not be so good... -.-
If temps will be more then 95-100 celsius i'll buy high quality thermal paste and open notebook by myself and replace the original one... and if that not helps i'll get colling pad...

ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS FOR HIGH TEMPS?

I'll also put here the pic of my setup so u'll see that its a bit ****ed up 😄

u can also see shadows on wall of this wall mount stand for tv...