cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severe problem with 1704 bios

Rob_W_
Level 12
I updated bios to 1704 and the microcode updater, used the app to change bios to R6E.cap and updated via usb/flash port.
Bios installed ok and I confirmed it was 1704 and microcode 4D installed.
I then applied mild Oc to cpu, that installed ok. I then set low Oc on memory and rig would not boot, eventually got back to bios and F5
From there tried increasing ram one click at a time but no go, it wouldn’t have it. Went back to bios ( took 10 attempts) and ram was down to 32 mb, reset rig and it then showed 16mb ?
Reset all and reflashed 1704 and again takes about 10 attempts to boot into bios.
Ran memtest pass ok and shows 64mb. Bios now showing 32mb.
Finally booted to windows and set bios 1603 on Usb, closed down and flashed with 1603 result = it won’t flash it back, I downloaded 1603 direct to usb so it would be uncorrupted but still won’t flash.
So it *appears I have 1704 bios installed that won’t allow memory Oc at all and believe me I have spent two days trying so far *every frequency and safe timings, from 1.35v to 1.4v, it’s a total no no,*
Does anyone have any suggestion how to rectify this?
An afterthought ! I could swap to second bios and ignore the one with 1704 until it gets a hotfix:rolleyes:*
12 REPLIES 12

RichKnecht
Level 7
Why not just flash it back to the older bios via the bios flashback button? When I had my Strix board, I updated the bios to the new version and all it did was raise temps. I flashed it back to an older version and all was well.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Sounds like you're dropping channels due to memory instability. Did you take note of your memory timings/system voltages on the previous build?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Jobs a good un ! Haha
Yep! Reseated all ram *re entered bios and set timings and it boots at 3600mhz *16-16-16-36 and shows 64gb .
Ran benchmark and all’s good, wierd that I had to reseat memory after flashing, oh well live and learn!*:o;)

Rob W. wrote:
Jobs a good un ! Haha
Yep! Reseated all ram *re entered bios and set timings and it boots at 3600mhz *16-16-16-36 and shows 64gb .
Ran benchmark and all’s good, wierd that I had to reseat memory after flashing, oh well live and learn!*:o;)

Glad it's sorted.

BIOS 1704 and new clean windows and drivers, I have not tried removing ram. when I get home after work I will try.

I run everything at default and run prime95 and I get freezes/lock ups. it will not run XMP and manual timing's aslo. Something is going on, driving me crazy.

system spec's

Processor: Intel Core i9-7920X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTREME
System Memory: DOMINATOR® PLATINUM 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Power Supply: 1600W Corsair AX1600i
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 PRO)
Graphics Card(s): NvLink 4Sot NVidia’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (Founders Edition)
Custom Cooling System (2x Graphics Cards + CPU)
Reservoir Pump Combo: EK-XRES Reservoir Pump Combo D5
Radiator: XSPC EX Radiators EX560mm Quad Fan Radiator, EX420mm Triple Fan Radiator, and EX280mm Dual Fan Radiator
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (15 Fans Total)
Corsair Commander pro x 3
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

Rob_W_
Level 12
RichKnecht, it won’t flashback with button, tried 3 bios and none will flash other than 1704.

Silent Scone, yes it is classic of mem instability, before I flashed I saved bios settings to usb and reloading them causes non boot.
I seem (again ) to be the only person reporting problems with it, I’m finding it strange that in the ten minutes it took to flash 1704 that I now have unstable memory and half of it missing?
*Next step I shall remove and reseat all sticks *and try again to enter an Oc.*

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Ok. Dropping channels can often be VCCSA

Rob_W_
Level 12
@Epic-Shot*
After reseating ram I set memory speed in bios, also in dram settings I set the timings to what is on label, in the same section scroll down and apply memory training.
Same as you I was tearing my hair out and this sorted it, no problems since:D

Rob W. wrote:
@Epic-Shot*
After reseating ram I set memory speed in bios, also in dram settings I set the timings to what is on label, in the same section scroll down and apply memory training.
Same as you I was tearing my hair out and this sorted it, no problems since:D

Thank you and I will try once I get home today. Did you manually set volts?