cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI Extreme need help with bios

SK8
Level 10
Trying to understand this bios as it has been a war with it the last two weeks. First my system specs..

Case - Corsair Obsidian Series 1000D
CPU - Intel I9 - 9900K Processor
CPU Cooler - Hydro Series H150i Pro RGB 360mm Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard - ROG Maximus XI Extreme
RAM - DDR4 G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266Mhz 32GB
Tested Latency 17-18-18-38
Video Card - ROG Strix OC 1080Ti OC 1708MHz
SSD's - Samsung 850 Pro X-Three-1TB
Power Supply - Corsair HX 1200i
Fans - Corsair ML120 Pro 120mm Premium x 16 (6 for CPU Cooler push pull)
Command Pro x 2
RGB Fan LED Hub x 3
Corsair LED Lighting Pro Expansion Kits x 2
Monitor - Samsung 49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor 144Hrz 1ms
Win 10 Enterprise 64bit

Next my issues :
when we first built this PC we could not get into bios with a DP cable on my screen and had to use a HDMI cable this we have never seen whats the deal with this.
When I try to put it on XMP 2 and his yes I get a BSOD sorry forgot to write down the error code in windows will next time If someone needs it but it is a big pain as I lose the DP cable and have to set up HDMI again. As well as I lose my Corsair keyboard and need to hook up a old keyboard.
When I put it on XMP 2 and hit NO I make it to windows so far no BSOD but have not run stress tests yet.
This sec I have it on Bios 0805
If I get a BSOD in windows I seem to lose the DP cable on the screen and have to hook up HDMI again as well as lose my corsair keyboard
This second under boot Device Control I have everything set to UEFI only is this wrong.

I tried to set up bios as much as I could the same as I have it on my Rampage Extreme V MB as it gives me zero issues in XMP and DP cable and keyboard. And on my Rampage Extreme V MB its on a manual OC and stable but the first year I had it it was only on XMP. I have never had XMP give a BSOD until the Maximus XI Extreme. What am I not understanding on this MB with XMP lol.

This second I do feel like I have missed a bios setting or done a wrong bios setting and I am at a loss what to do as this bios is so very different then anything I have ever worked with in some respects. I tried to find basic bios settings for this MB and not finding anything so far so came for help on this site.

My husband looked up my ram and it is to run under xmp 2 but it all is making me a bit crazy and I have never had a build give me so much BS and for the first time ever really starting to hate this ROG MB. This is sad as I always loved the ROG MB until now and I hope this is just bios settings issue on my part.

Things I fully hate on this MB is going back to a HDMI cable for the screen and using old keyboard for every crash or bios update making me a bit nuts why this is and starting to think I should just junk this MB and go to a different MB to match my CPU and ram when I can afford it. But this is so not a cheep move and I do think its a setting I am doing wrong in my bios so I need some help please in making sure my Bios is set up correct as I feel like a FNG in this bios . Thank you for any help I can get.
Bios 602 and did a bios update doh
passed 8hr test on Karhu RamTest
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
CPU System Agent Voltage 1.29v
Dram timing control 17-18-18-38
Mode1
Dram command rate set to 2N set dram current capability to 130%
137 REPLIES 137

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Regarding the BSOD, system probably rebooted before you could write it down. Do this to prevent that

Rightclick the "This PC" icon on your desktop > properties > advanced systemsettings. Under "Startup- and recoverysettings" click that button > at the middel: UNTICK the box for "Automatically restart the PC"

That way when it BSOD's it'll stay on that screen until you manually reboot it.

As to HDMI, well they're pretty common lol. Got a flat screen TV? Got a blu-ray player? Then chances are about 99% you've got/seen an HDMI cable.

Can't say i can help you much further as i know little about XMP2. I've only ever used XMP1 or in my case (since i use an ROG motherboard and special ROG certified ram) the specially enabled "ROG Certified" XMP profile.

SK8
Level 10
Thanks for the post back, I already have it set not to reboot PC on BSOD I just got so mad to see a BSOD I rebooted it lol. Its been a 2 week war with this MB and starting to lose my cool with it but yes silly of me not to write it down.

I have a spare HDMI cable hooked up to the screen already just sick to death of always having to move cables and keyboard around when issues arise as this case empty is 65LB never mind when its full of PC parts, it makes my tall tower look like a runt lol. We put the case on a small desk with wheels so its more easy for me to get at the back of the case but still a pain.

This second I am more worried about a bad setting in bios from me as this bios has so much more to it with the Maximus XI Extreme MB and I don't want this MB be the one to make me go to another brand of MB and walk from this MB and all its headache. I just don't get why this MB cant use a DP cable without me changing a bios settings and why I lose it at times on a BSOD.

Maybe its the bios I am on and if so whats a stable Bios for this Maximus XI Extreme
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

SK8
Level 10
Oh my word looks like I have xmp 2 working thanks to a video by JJ. XMP is not what it was on my Rampage Extreme V MB this whole XMP2 is so confusing to start with lol. If anyone need help with this XMP 2 please see this video by JJ the man saved me wanting to toss this MB away and good thing as I will have to do the same thing to my husbands build once he has all his parts in and he builds his PC. Our deal in this house he builds I set things up lol. Thanks JJ your the man , was not going to go into a manual OC this soon but meh its done. Time to stress test it in BFV and I will cry if I crash lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOXH2YIMi2Y
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

SK8
Level 10
I just cant get this PC to run on XMP1 or XMP 2 correct always with the BSOD . Ram was tested in Mem test 86 about 7 hrs and passed no issues yesterday. Starting to think this ROG Maximus XI Extreme is just a big wast of money and needs to go away. Fully this is the MB to turn me off Asus nothing but issues with this board.

Can anyone with the Maximus XI Extreme MB help me or point me in the correct direction?

why I am fed up with this MB and will never buy another ROG board after this ...

1- First boot after build or any boot after bios update or any big crash you need to change the screen hook up from DP to HTMI cable . For a top of the line MB from ROG this is just sad. All other ROG MB's I have had have never done this and all work with no issues on DP cable. First boot up after build bios update none made me lose DP cable til this board .

2- Same deal with Keyboard have to dig out a old keyboard and use it for first boot up and if I clear bios and lose settings in bios, again never had this crap with any other ROG MB I have.

3- XMP 1 is not stable and xmp2 is even more unstable in more BSOD

4- I am sick to death smashing my head on the wall trying to get this so called top of the line ROG MB to work, I cant even find settings online for Bios in case I have done something wrong, NOR can I get a answer why this MB does not work out of the box on a DP cable my case is NOT easy to move to change cables so yes this is a huge pain for me. This MB has given me issues I have never seen in 20 years and so very sick of it.

5- I suspect its a bios issue SO whats a good stable bios for this MB ?

6- I have redone windows 4x clean install every time and it passes windows scans but as soon as I turn on XMP 1 in bios BSOD

7- I have gone into bios on my ROG Rampage Extreme V MB and tried to copy settings in bios as much as I can to my Maximus XI Extreme MB still no joy.

8- When I followed JJ video on this cpu and MB for xmp2 settings it passed all stress tests he said to do and I played 4 maps in BFV no issues. I went AFK and computer was sitting idle and came back to a BSOD .

9- In bios under boot if I set it to UEFI and Legacy its more unstable. If I set everything to UEFI at least I can use my screen on DP cable and keyboard until I have a crash.

10- On my Rampage Extreme V MB I have a manual OC and zero issues but on the Maximus XI Extreme pls I cant even get XMP 1 to be stable this is why I have redone windows a few times to be sure its not a windows issue as windows scans don't always catch everything but over the years they have saved me doing more then a few formats.

11-on XMP 1 the BSOD I get is KMode Exception Not Handled Error I have tried disable fast start up as well as made sure every driver is newest one, and ran it tho my main windows scans I have run ....

sfc /scannow

Only for windows 8 & windows 8.1 and Win 10
Reboot PC after you run each command line and close programs and web pages.

This command line will scan the health of your PC.
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth

This command line will restore the health of your PC and you dont lose anything .
dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
OR
If restore heath gave you errors then you can always try this command line.
dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

what bios settings are you using? Set it to optimized defaults (F5), then tell us what changes you make from there.

How many ram slots are you populating? You cant just change it to xmp 1 or 2 with that fast of ram and expect it to just work. I keep the meory slow because it makes little difference beyond 3000-3200 and it way cheaper to get 2666mhz and overclock it a bit. What voltage is the memory running at? what voltage is printed on the memory?

I doubt it the bios or the board as the asus bios is considered the best bios by most overclockers.

SK8
Level 10
First off thanks for the post to try and help me it is much appreciated
Ok I set it to optimized defaults (F5)
The changes I made are under Boot, compatibility support Module is Boot device control UEFI and Legancy OPROM all others are set to Legancy only trying this as its whats set on my Rampage Extreme V mb am I wrong? If so please tell me what to put it to as I have tried UEFI only on all and it seems to work this sec just trying whats on my other extreme MB.

Sadly last night I lost windows yet again after I had every driver updates and all updates done I set it to XMP 1 like a dodo and all heck broke lose and I could not fix windows so starting everything over today 😕

All ram slots are being used from the rams page .... https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-4266c17q-32gtzr

Memory Type DDR4
Capacity 32GB (8GBx4)
Multi-Channel Kit Dual/Quad Channel Kit
Tested Speed 4266MHz
Tested Latency 17-18-18-38
Tested Voltage 1.45v
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error Checking Non-ECC
SPD Speed 2133MHz
SPD Voltage 1.20v

This second the ram is at 2133MHz in bios

I know I normally love ROG MB's this is the first time I have run into problems with one. But to be fair this bios has me confused as my DP cable and keyboard just don't seem to work correct unless I set everything under boot to UEFI only but I will try again the setting used on my other Rampage Extreme V if I lose my screen and keyboard so be it I will try anything to fix this.

Edit ok saved settings rebooted and screen and keyboard still work to get into bios yaaa lol. As you are off line I will install windows for the 100x lol j/k but a few to many clean windows installs done the last week and making me nuts. I will keep my paws off all other settings in bios until you post back. The only changes in bios at this point is The changes I made are under Boot, compatibility support Module is Boot device control UEFI and Legancy OPROM all others are set to Legancy and disable Bluetooth as I don't use Bluetooth on my game rigs or PC's just my hearing aids lol.

Edit 2 ... I could not find in bios what voltage is the memory running at but I will read in my mb book or google it to find it in bios for you. Edit ok in bios its on Auto and showing 1.200V for the ram in extreme tweaker
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Memory kits beyond 3600MHz can often require manual tuning. 4266 requires a good IMC and there are no guarantees when this high up the spectrum. It might be an idea to create a system image before overclocking the memory again.

Test stability between tweaks with RAMTest or HCI Memtest

1. Set XMP II (DRAM Voltage should set to 1.45v)
2. Try Maximus Tweak Mode 1 & 2 (Under Dram Timing)
3. Tune VCCSA/VCCIO accordingly - start with 1.2v and work up if needed. Some samples may need 1.3v or more for these frequencies.

*XMP I is the validated board profile that you will have seen on past generations. Every time a board is validated, this profile is the one used by the memory vendor and ASUS. On Z390, there is now the option to use the DIMM profile which is XMP II. These settings are not validated, so mileage will vary depending on the kit and CPU.

*XMP I - Board optimised timings

*XMP II - Default XMP timings

Often, XMP II timings will be slightly looser depending on the memory kit. If you check within the UEFI or memtweakit, you'll see a difference in memory subsets.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

SK8
Level 10
Thank you much this second I cant go into bios as windows update is doing its thing. I will not try anything until I have all updates done and I am sure windows is stable. I don't fully understand #3 but I will look at it when in bios and look it up in in my MB book and google if I still don't get it. This new gen of CPU and MB and ram is making me miss the click and go XMP lol. I have to get this fixed on my rig as the husband is doing the same build as me and I will have to do his rigs bios when his rig is done.

Sadly in win 10 I have never been able to get a system image to work 100% Never had issues in win8.1 with it but win 10 it fails on me more then it works 😕 But this is something else to look into as I always do keep a system image on all my PC's

From both your posts it is helping me understand more what I have been doing wrong and I thank you both. Once I go into bios and try this again I will post back on how it goes or if I need more help fingers crossed as I want to love my MB again. Its just been very frustrating few weeks. As I am not even trying to OC the cpu just get my ram speeds or near them and I had no idea you cant do this even on XMP1 with this ram speed so it explains the BSOD issue on XMP1. I would rather be wrong on this MB issue and learn from it all then change MB. So it makes me happy the issue is on my part not the MB and I had a feeling it was.
Set to Manual OC
Dram Frequency 4266MHz
Dram voltage 1.45v
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.25v
Mode1

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Ok. If you are unable to stabilise that kit at the rated frequency you may need to reside to settling lower.

See this sticky: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98041-Understanding-and-using-XMP
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090