cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbo Boost 3.0 Causing Stuttering, freezing, and crashes

Robear992
Level 7
Every 6 hours or so, YouTube videos and VLC audio stutters. I get like 50ms of play, and then like 900ms of silence, so it sounds like "DIT DIT DIT DIT DIT DIT". Sometimes I can close out of a bunch of programs and it goes away, sometimes I need to restart my computer.

I've swapped out my video card as that was my first suspect, to no avail. I've also updated my BIOS to the latest version. I also suspected something with interrupts, but those checked out in resource monitor. Voltages in HWMonitor were stable.

It's hard to reproduce, but I was able to get it to go away by disabling turbo boost in the BIOS. Of course, this crippled my 7960X since I'm not overclocked (I need to repaste my CPU/Cooler).

A couple of occasions my computer has simply frozen, or I get other random behavior, like office applications failing to start (and hanging at the splash screen). These are less frequent, but I suspect they're related.

Any thoughts? Do I have a bad MB/CPU, or am I missing something? I just uninstalled the Turbo Boost 3.0 drivers, but it'll be a few days before I know if that changed anything... are those drivers even needed?

Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Enter the UEFI and go to MFC Mode override, select Native OS Support. You may want to manually disable the ITB service, too.

13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ASUS wrote:
Enter the UEFI and go to MFC Mode override, select Native OS Support. You may want to manually disable the ITB service, too.

This appears to have worked. Time to brush up on my BIOS settings, I guess. Thanks!

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Any explanation as to what causes this from ASUS? I turn off Turbo Boost Max 3.0 on my RVIE because it actually makes games perform worse on my 7900X.

Robear992
Level 7
Rockford wrote:

SS, You live in a igloo?

LOL 14c. Good catch.

I updated the BIOS, but I won't know if it worked for a couple of days, as this only happens every 6 hours or so.

My guess is that turbo can be controlled by the OS (e.g. ITBM drivers) or the motherboard. When ITBM is running, it probably competes with the motherboard for control of turbo-boost. Is this correct?

BlackhatEspeed
Level 7
You should just disable all that CPU throttling stuff from the BIOS, although I've never had a problem on my Apex.
MB: ASUS Rampage VI Apex
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900X 10 Core OCed 4.5GHZ
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR4-3600
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 T2 80+ TITANIUM, 1600W Power Supply
GFX: Zotac 1080 Ti 11GB Mini
VROC: 2 x Intel 7600Ps 512GB
PCH: 2 x Intel 7600Ps 512GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
MON: Acer Predator X34P 34" Curved Gaming Monitor 120HZ
CASE: Cooler Master Storm Trooper (Window)
LCS: Corsair H115I RGB Platinum 280MM

Megalamaniac
Level 9
I've got the exact same issue, except it may take up to a week to occur. I've tried the Bios setting recommended above, but it still ended up happening the other day.

Because it happens so infrequently I really don't have any idea what is causing this, and can't reproduce it. I originally suspected memory, but it has occured with XMP and stock settings.

Any ideas on what is causing this, or how to narrow down the issue?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
interesting..... You know on z390 did detected these when i start having issues with 1809 and audio. after many bios reflash, i was stock 48ghz and that was it. I find out that there was something different. AI SUITE. I install that and turbo boost was back. I am running xmp1 and asus presents. maybe that is why the turboboost was not working. I can test these later if that is present on z390
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
i try all.

2 strix 2080ti crash
i test a 2080 and 2080 from another manufactures and no issues.

I will call the store so we can make a special request to asus so we can try to find out what the heck is going on.

is imposible that 4 cards have the same issues.

i add my 1080 ti and the 2 more cards and no issues what so ever.

if someone see these during the next 2 days please send me ideas. I try these same card using another computer and same issues. and with the other cards no issues at all.

Une card was send all ready to check. but these one in particular we need to send it for close inspection.
Learn, Play Enjoy!