cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding RAM to a Strix Scar II GL704GW, Considerations?

BigOhrstrom
Level 7
Hey!

I have recently purchased a Strix Scar II Gl704GW, 17" with RTX2070. Unfortunately, this ships in sweden with 1x16GB, causing game performance to lower fairly much. What was fortunate for me, was that I believed it had 2x8GB, because that was the information from the reseller, and this mistake and the consequences led to them compensating me a bit for the problems, so I can cheaply get an additional RAM stick.

This new ram stick does not have the exact same CAS but apparently via a setting in BIOS you can make sure the faster RAM slows down its CAS to make them work together perfectly.

My question is, how do I do this in BIOS. I checked in there and couldnt really find any such settings, I was told one should make sure VMP or similar is off. Maybe it was not visible since I still have only 1 memorystick installed for now, either way I thought Id check with you guys to see if theres anything specific I need to consider or do to get sorted.

Regards,
BigOhrstrom
1 REPLY 1

BigOhrstrom
Level 7
I have now added more memory but they appear to be running on different CAS - atleast in CPU-Z. I checked again after installing and the BIOS appears very limited no real options for the memory at all, am I missing something or are Asus plain mad installing 1 single SLOW memory stick that there no reseller for in the nordic area, with no options to match different memory?

According to CPU-Z it has clocked down my memory to 2400, so it works in dual but appears to have clocked them down from 2666 for some reason. Any suggestions on what to do here? Feels ridiculous to be locked to finding an obscure samsung memory stick to get optimal performance.