cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I make a mistake? 1st time build No boot screen everything seems perfect

nvrgvnup
Level 7
I'm working with my son to build his first gaming PC.

Here's our parts list...

MoBo - Asus Prime 450 M-A/CSM
*CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - PowerColor Radeon RX580 8GBD5-3DH/OC
PSU - EVGA 550 B3
HD - Samsung 860 EVO 500 gb Sata M.2
Ram - T-Force 16Gb (2x8) DDR4 3200 Mhz - TF1D418G3200HC16CDC01 -
Case - Phanteks - P350X PH-EC350PTG_DBK Case.
3 Fans - Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm

When I boot up the newly built PC I get slow flashing amber for about 2 minutes which converts to a solid amber light near CPU Plug in and at corner of the board.

Originally it appeared to be an incomparable RAM issue, but the one listed above is on the Compatibility page for this exact ASUS's motherboard list.

I get RGB strips working, All Fans working (Including GPU,Case and CPU), but no screen (using hdmi). *

I've checked 2 monitors to ensure its not that, 2 hdmi cables, removed and replaced all internal power and sata cables...*
I've tried putting a single RAM in each slot (as well as the suggested in A2, B2 slots per manual), removed and reinstalled ssd, removed and reinstalled the GPU, replaced CMO battery to be sure it wasn't bad, removed and confirmed directional install of power to CPU, MOBO and GPU. Removed the CPU Fan and ensured the CPU was installed correctly.

I ensured I didn't have the HDMI plugged into the GPU and that it is plugged into the motherboard.
All parts were brand new, there are no extra plugs that aren't plugged in, everything from countless reviews seems perfect, What would you do next, I don't have an extra set of parts laying around. *I just ordered an internal speaker (I think they call them buzzers) hoping I can troubleshoot a GPU error as explained here. https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1029959.

Has anyone worked with this MOBO, had similar issues? *Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

match69
Level 7
Hi there, I don't have those particular components but you said that you plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard? As far as I am aware, correct me if wrong but the Amd 5 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics; you should be plugging into the graphics card. Just one other thought, did you check to see if you need an extra 4 pin or 6 pin connector from the psu for the cpu? Sorry I couldn't give more help.
Mark.

match69 wrote:
Hi there, I don't have those particular components but you said that you plugged the HDMI cable into the motherboard? As far as I am aware, correct me if wrong but the Amd 5 2600 doesn't have integrated graphics; you should be plugging into the graphics card. Just one other thought, did you check to see if you need an extra 4 pin or 6 pin connector from the psu for the cpu? Sorry I couldn't give more help.
Mark.

Ok, so I "should" plug into the graphics card? Ok, great I was originally using the HDMI on the mother board. But I just got a new monitor with a DP cable and used that unfortunately to the same result even after trying the RAM in each slot.

The Graphics card turns on the fan fine. Man I've got to be missing something.

The fact that the keyboard and mouse don't work either is odd to me, even lighting up. I checked that cable and am sure it is in the right place and secure.

Thanks for trying.

nvrgvnup wrote:
Man I've got to be missing something.

So checking on Tom's Hardware list before posting a no boot screen question it suggested I tried something I hadn't done since the new RAM which was touch the 2 pin reset the CMOS, and then plugged in the DP into a different the first slot next to the HDMI and the Bios screen finally came up, but it is all covered with Green Lines, I tested my macbook on it and its not the monitor.

So for some reason the screen has a sort of green and purple fuzz all over the American Megatrends screen. Any thoughts on this?

nvrgvnup wrote:
So checking on Tom's Hardware list before posting a no boot screen question it suggested I tried something I hadn't done since the new RAM which was touch the 2 pin reset the CMOS, and then plugged in the DP into a different the first slot next to the HDMI and the Bios screen finally came up, but it is all covered with Green Lines, I tested my macbook on it and its not the monitor.

So for some reason the screen has a sort of green and purple fuzz all over the American Megatrends screen. Any thoughts on this?

You may have a short somewhere but I'm leaning towards a GPU failure since you are getting graphical corruption.

Here's what I would do, disconnect everything including all drives and USB devices with only the CPU, RAM, and graphic card installed. If it still doesn't post, remove the mobo from the case and connect as described above. If still no post, test the graphic card in another PC.

Good luck!
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601