cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overclock performs worse than stock except in benchmarks

nerwin802
Level 7
So I've been having this strange overclocking issue...if it even is an issue. I'm unsure but let me explain what's going on.

First the specs:

Windows 10 Pro (latest build)
Intel i5 9600K
Asus Z390-H ROG Strix
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 3200mhz (DC)
EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SCC
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb NVMe
Seasonic Focus Plus GOLD 650w PSU
Fractal Design Meshify C

I am using a Asus Z390-H motherboard with the latest BIOS version number 2012. I've did my own overclock based on recent overclock tutorials for Asus Z390 motherboards. I woulden't say I'm an expert at it but I like to get the most performance I possibly can..because why not? Haha. I'm not a gamer, but I'll play an occasional game. This is primarily a workstation system for my photography and video work.

Anyways, I set a 5ghz overclock on the 9600k (should be easy for this CPU) based off the tuts available. I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Black Edition which is not like the normal 212, it is bigger and has more heatpipes than the orginal. It can handle higher OC. It runs stable at 5ghz when doing benchmarks or playing games. I ran Prime95 for 8+ hours with no issues. The highest temps it hit were around 87c so I don't believe its thermal throttling. In Cinebench, I get a score of 1300 which I guess is REALLY good for this 9600K. So benchmarks, game fps, etc all show a difference with the overclock and that's all fine and dandy but in terms of general computing, everything feels slower with what seems to be like latency. Opening Chrome or any other general applications takes longer with the overclock (its still really fast, its nearly instant but the fans ramp up first then chrome opens...this all happens within a second. Without the OC applied, it's just boom instant. Right now I'm running at stock settings with only the XMP II profile set and its performing wonderfully. Everything is snappy as it should be. The fans no longer rev up when doing basic tasks like browsing the web.

Another symptom I've noticed is when using Lightroom with the overclock, exporting photos take longer, the fans will ramp up like crazy first and then it will export. Without the overclock, exporting is nearly instant and the fans hardly rev up.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Albeit, it's been a while since I've done a overclock. My last system I built in 2012 (3570k) and I ran that at 4.3ghz since up until Jan 2019 which is when I built this one. Never had a issue! But options in the UEFI were much more simplified than this new ASUS board which has 8 billion options to choose from and I have yet to find a tutorial available for this Z390-H motherboard.

I am using Intel Speedstep which I didn't use on my older Asus board, it just ran at 4.3ghz for 6 years straight. But I know the coffee lake cpus have a TDP of 95w so I figured letting it run at like 800mhz when nothing intensive is going on will save a bit of power and stress on the CPU. It seems to work fine when it needs the extra power, it's pretty much instant.

I know this was a long post but any help would kindly be appreacited. Hopefully I can get this bad boy to run more efficiently at 5ghz.

I will add some screenshots of my overclock settings later and hopefully I'm just being dumb and changing the wrong settings that's causing this weird issue. I mean the system is running really nice without the overclock applied and I'm okay with this but if I can squeeze out extra performance will be even better when doing video rendering and processing my photos in Lightroom.

Here are the BIOS screen shots. Instead of posting a bunch of shots for all the settings. I just took a couple of the actual settings that would change if I applied my 5ghz OC profile I created. But I have the other ones if you want to see them.

4 REPLIES 4

mdzcpa
Level 12
Why have you force enable Read Time and Voltage Centering memory training algorithms? Those might be best left on Auto

Try keeping MCE on Auto. Just as a test.

mdzcpa wrote:
Why have you force enable Read Time and Voltage Centering memory training algorithms? Those might be best left on Auto

Try keeping MCE on Auto. Just as a test.

That's a good question, I have no idea why those were forced on.

Does anyone have any idea what those two options even do? I tried researching it and came up with nothing.

mdzcpa
Level 12
Those settings are memory training algorithms. You can set which memory trainings you want to use at cold boot. I strongly suggest leaving those on Auto.