Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Prime Z390-A CPU Fan Error

Richdem68
Level 7
Hi All,

I just upgraded my PC with an Asus Prime Z390-A, i5 9600K & 16GB DDR4 - 3000

I used my existing antec kuhler 920, the build went without a hitch but when I booted for the 1st time I received a CPU Fan Error. When I went into the Bios it showed that the CPU fan was turning around 600 RPM. I had connected the 3 pin plug from the 920 to the CPU Fan Header on the motherboard and the USB plug to a USB 3 header. I tried adjusting the minimum fan level and the auto fan control optimization but I still get the error. The only way to clear it was to set the CPU Fan to ignore in the monitoring section of the Bios. Then I could boot OK.

I have been doing some basic overclocking and have got a stable 5GHz with 1.35v. Under full load I get around 80 degrees but while using my flight simulator (X-Plane 11) the temps sit around 50 degrees so I know the water cooler is working correctly.

I am just more concerned there maybe a fault with the motherboard and I should have it replaced within the first 30 days.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Richard
4 REPLIES 4

davemon50
Level 11
Consider the post at the bottom of this thread:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/antec-920-cpu-fan-error.339370/

Make sure you've run the fan optimization first so mobo can recognize it. Also that thread above suggests you also have a 4-pin connector. And keep the pump unit running at full speed from the motherboard (or cpu fan speed since it's actually connected there), then adjust the speeds via software. I use AI Suite, but you can use the mfg software.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:

Make sure you've run the fan optimization first so mobo can recognize it. Also that thread above suggests you also have a 4-pin connector. And keep the pump unit running at full speed from the motherboard (or cpu fan speed since it's actually connected there), then adjust the speeds via software. I use AI Suite, but you can use the mfg software.

Thanks for the reply,

The CPU fan header on the motherboard is 4 pin but the plug from the pump is a 3 pin. I will try the suggestions in the thread you linked.

As I said I was more worried there was problem with the motherboard more than anything else

davemon50 wrote:

I tried everything in the post you listed but it didn't work. The only way I can boot is disable the CPU monitoring in the bios.

Should I return and exchange this motherboard?

Richdem68 wrote:
I tried everything in the post you listed but it didn't work. The only way I can boot is disable the CPU monitoring in the bios.

Should I return and exchange this motherboard?

It's no the board. You problem is that the pump is running low rpm.

I suggest connecting the PUMP to the AIO Header. That's what its for. Then Disable CPU Fan monitoring.

I also suggest you increase your pump speed using Expert Fan.