cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL703GS 1070GTX Repaste Cooling Performance

spiritdreams
Level 7
Hi Guys

I recently purchased a GL703GS mostly for VR, like many of you, I've found the laptop to be running a bit more hotter than I'd like under load so I have decided to repaste it. Here are my experience for those of you who are interested, as well as the results. I hope someone find it useful.

My room is currently at a constant 18 degrees C under controlled heating as it is winter here in the UK. I have not undervolted anything.

I have purchased
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut 1g tube
Artic thermal pad 1mm thickness

Disassembly:
- There are no warranty stickers in the back cover, however there is a warranty sticker on one of the screws on the CPU heatsink, so Asus will know if you have repasted your laptop.
- There are 4 screws holding the HDD which also holds the back cover, so you need to remove the HDD before you can attempt to remove the back cover.
- There are no hidden screws under the rubber feet etc, just unscrew the ones you see and use guitar pick to go around to wedge the case open.
- There are lots of small thin clips all around the case holding the back cover, they seem to snap very easily during opening, however screws alone seems to hold the case well enough.
- You do not need to unscrew the fan to remove the heatsink, just 8 screws on GPU and CPU, the heatsink is then only held down by the thermal paste.

Interesting observations:
- ASUS existing thermal paste on CPU and GPU appears to be of a low quality and is chalky and dry, even though my Laptop is brand new, these clean off very easily.
- Instead of thermal pads, ASUS uses a kind of sticky residue for VRM and memory. I have replaced these with thermal pads (1mm).
- 1G thermal compound is barely enough for both CPU and GPU, you do not have much room for error.
- Immediately after repaste, the cooling performance was terrible, hitting high 80-90'C on idle any load for 5-10 minutes, I was considering opening up the case to find out what is wrong, but decided to keep testing.

Result:
On overdrive fan profile, stock thermal paste was hitting 96C peak 45-47C Idle, and maintain 87C both CPU and GPU during intensive gaming and benchmarks (Heaven) minor throttling is observed. Sitting on secondary cooling surface (17' Laptop cooler), with extra cooling fans on, I was able to maintain around 76-78C without throttling.

After repaste, I was getting at 39-43 idle, and can maintain around 71-72C both CPU and GPU during intensive gaming and benchmarks. Secondary cooling (Laptop cooler) would drop this to an impressive 58-66C during heavy loads, no throttling what so ever was observed.

In both cases (before and after re paste) the CPU could hit 90-92C before the fan kicks in.

I will probably do an update in couple of months time to see if the performance drops, but so far I am very impressed with the effects. I think ASUS should really consider using better cooling paste as it made such a big difference.
50 REPLIES 50

Sayid_Jarah
Level 7
Hi, can u post screenshots of how you laid out the thermal pads, i decided to cut squares and my temps are horrific. did u use stips and if u can show me a screenshot it would help muchly, appreciate your post.
CURRENT ASUS ITEMS I OWN:
-ASUS ROG SWIFT GSYNC MONITOR
-ASUS GL703GS gtx 1070 laptop
-ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO III ROG MOBO

PREVIOUSLY OWNED ITEMS:
G750JX ROG LAPTOP
p8z68v-pro
-ASUS STRIKER EXTREME II
-G751JT ROG LAPTOP
-ASUS MAXIMUS HERO II ROG
-ASUS STRIX GTX 970

Sorry, I am not really planning on open it again to take a picture.

But I cut the thermal pads in to strips for memory and VRM, slightly wider than the memory and vrm to ensure full coverage.

I do remember the VRM is done by 2 strips due to the length not being long enough.

The reason I cut them in to strips is because I was worried if the pad is not thick enough to touch the heatsink, so with a strip there are more chances of that happening.

I don't understand why you are getting bad temps on application of cooling pad? If VRM is not cooled properly, you would get throttle down, not high temperatures in CPU or GFX, because there are less sources of heat for the heat sink?

My GL703GS runs a lot cooler, given ambient temp is rarely below 24C/26C, numbers in the thread below. Currently running at 42C, with web & productivity apps open. -140mV undervolt, stock paste. I'll consider replacing the TIM when the fans need cleaning, equally it's not running hot so no real need.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?109315-ASUS-ROG-Strix-II-Scar-Laptop-Normal-Gaming-Tempera...

Not been busy with it, equally it's been in use all day - ambient temp 25C

Q-6

Matze2k0
Level 7
I've tried thermal pads too but my temps went up instead of going down. I've done another repaste with K5-PRO Paste for memory and VRM. Temps are "ok" now.

I think the only possibility is that the thermal pads you used are too thick and they are lifting the copper heatsink away from the CPU/GPU, so they are not in proper contact.

I did exactly the same tingh as you with thermal grizzly kryonaut and arctic 1mm thermal pads cut in strips and it seemes that the temps are higher and i do get some thermal throttling when i stress with AIDA64(including GPU) but it looks like all my benchmarks score higher and the cpu seems to run at 3.4 while is stressed compared to 3.0 before repasting

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
K5-PRO (the stuff they use instead of the pads) is a lot better than thermal pads.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
K5-PRO (the stuff they use instead of the pads) is a lot better than thermal pads.

K5 pro conductivity is 5.3 while arctic 1mm thermal pad is 6 and when replacing the paste the pads are much easier to replace than that jelly paste. At least this is my opinion. While gaming my laptop cpu now is between 77 and 83 and gpu about 75 compared with 90 on cpu and 80+ on gpu. When stressing with AIDA64 i suspect that i get thermal throttling because i am stressing the chips around the cpu and gpu that with thermal pads now they put a lot of heat on the heatsink as well. What led me to believe this is that the gpu temp goes around 80c when doing system stability test with AIDA64 compared to gaming where it settels under 75

VladRadu wrote:
K5 pro conductivity is 5.3 while arctic 1mm thermal pad is 6 and when replacing the paste the pads are much easier to replace than that jelly paste. At least this is my opinion. While gaming my laptop cpu now is between 77 and 83 and gpu about 75 compared with 90 on cpu and 80+ on gpu. When stressing with AIDA64 i suspect that i get thermal throttling because i am stressing the chips around the cpu and gpu that with thermal pads now they put a lot of heat on the heatsink as well. What led me to believe this is that the gpu temp goes around 80c when doing system stability test with AIDA64 compared to gaming where it settels under 75

Makes no sense to keep the thermal pads if the system is now thermal throttling now and it wasn't before. If you're not running into power limiting issues due to VRM overheating, keep the stock K5 compound and replace the stock paste on the dies. It will run cooler all around. If it's thermal throttling you got something wrong going on. It shouldn't throttle under any circumstances.
Also, the heatsink will seat a lot better on the cpu/gpu die using the K5 stuff.