Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETALJACKET7 View Post
    Makes no sense to keep the thermal pads if the system is now thermal throttling now and it wasn't before. If you're not running into power limiting issues due to VRM overheating, keep the stock K5 compound and replace the stock paste on the dies. It will run cooler all around. If it's thermal throttling you got something wrong going on. It shouldn't throttle under any circumstances.
    Also, the heatsink will seat a lot better on the cpu/gpu die using the K5 stuff.
    It used to power throrttling before and now is not doing it at all but it does thermal throttling on heavy loads like aida64 system stability test and i had a few thermal throttling spikes while playing assassins creed origines all set to ultra.
    I thought about replacing the 1mm pads with 0.5 next time when i repaste to see how it goes.
    Last edited by VladRadu; 03-10-2019 at 10:13 PM.

ROG Member Array

I am using 1mm pads, however I made sure to push down pretty firmly after installing heatsink, the arctic thermal pads are pretty putty like, and can be flattened easily.

I've found my Heaven benchmark far better after the thermal paste, I usually avoid under volting as personal preference as I do not like to have something running permanently in the background in order for it to work.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by spiritdreams View Post
    I am using 1mm pads, however I made sure to push down pretty firmly after installing heatsink, the arctic thermal pads are pretty putty like, and can be flattened easily.

I've found my Heaven benchmark far better after the thermal paste, I usually avoid under volting as personal preference as I do not like to have something running permanently in the background in order for it to work.
    i haven't pushed at all so this means that the heatskink may be lifted a little on the cpu and gpu because of the pads so i will try 0.5mm pads instead of 1 and see how it works. Temps are better than stock but the cpu throttle a little when all system is on heavy loads. GPU seems to clock constantly around 1.8ghz when playing. Before repasting cpu was clocking around 3ghz while playing and now most of the times is 3.8 only when testing with aida64 is 3.4. GPU temp rarely goes to 80 most of the times settels around 75 and before repasting was constantly around 83

You don't need to with ThrottleStop, once the undervolt is set you can exit the program, it's even possible to auto exit although for the very little CPU cycles the application consumes not really necessary.

Q-6

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse Microsoft PN7-00004 Bluetooth Mobile Mouse 3600
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One S Bluetooth Gamepad
    Accessory #2 Competition Pro USB arcade joystick SpeedLink SL-6603-SPORTS-EU

1mm thermal pads are too much IMHO: since there was just a white sticky paste on VRM and chips I'd go for 0.5mm pads.
    Yes, AIDA stress test ALWAYS report some kind of initial thermal throttling on GL703GS, no matter how well you paste it.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
    1mm thermal pads are too much IMHO: since there was just a white sticky paste on VRM and chips I'd go for 0.5mm pads.
    Yes, AIDA stress test ALWAYS report some kind of initial thermal throttling on GL703GS, no matter how well you paste it.
    It does initially throttle untill the fans are catching up and then after about 5 mins i get some thermal throttling shown on intel xtu graph. and the cpu frequency goes to 3.4 AIDA64 dosent show any throttling apart from the initial one just the cpu frequency to 3.4

I will repaste and try the 0.5 tomorrow just for science and report the difference. Maybe it will help other people when they decide to do the same thing.
    Last edited by VladRadu; 03-12-2019 at 11:43 AM.

ROG Member Array

I am guessing with 0.5mm then you are at risk of the pads not contacting heatsink, granted the risk is minimal.

My main problem with it is usually memory and vrm don't have good temperature reports, so you don't know whether they are over heating or not, so I err on the side of caution and go with thicker pads, at least if it is not making good contact with the CPU or GPU I'd know immediately.

Doesn't throttle stop needs to be scheduled to start on boot? or otherwise the down volt won't be applied?

ROG Member Array

I am guessing with 0.5mm then you are at risk of the pads not contacting heatsink, granted the risk is minimal.

My main problem with it is usually memory and vrm don't have good temperature reports, so you don't know whether they are over heating or not, so I err on the side of caution and go with thicker pads, at least if it is not making good contact with the CPU or GPU I'd know immediately.

Doesn't throttle stop needs to be scheduled to start on boot? or otherwise the down volt won't be applied?
    Dose it power throttle when you stress the system ?

ROG Member Array

No, I've tried stress test using PI, 3D Mark, PC Mark, and Heaven, all hit around 85s before fan kicks in and drops it to 70s.

No throttling at all, even after 3-4 hours of load. (just to make sure VRM is not overheating)

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array hexaae PC Specs
    hexaae PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS Gaming Laptop GL703GS
    MotherboardIntel HM370 Cannon Lake-H
    Processori7-8750H
    Memory (part number)32GB DDR4 @2666MHz (dual-channel)
    Graphics Card #1NVidia GTX 1070 8GB
    Monitor1080p 144Hz 17" G-Sync AUO B173HAN03.2
    Storage #11TB SSD Crucial MX300
    Storage #2NVMe Samsung PM916
    Mouse Microsoft PN7-00004 Bluetooth Mobile Mouse 3600
    Mouse Pad MouseRug collection
    Headset/Speakers Realtek HD (ALC295)
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 XBox One S Bluetooth Gamepad
    Accessory #2 Competition Pro USB arcade joystick SpeedLink SL-6603-SPORTS-EU

This is the kind of white paste applied by ASUS (see from 3:00) :

As you can see, 0.5mm should be perfectly fine.
    1mm instead might be too thick (compared to the original paste) not allowing good contact between heatsink and CPU, GPU.
    Last edited by hexaae; 03-12-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast