My rig:
I7 4790k cpu 4.0 Ghz
ASUS Maximus VII Formula
16 Gb Kingston HyperX 2133 Mhz Ram
Dark Power 10 Pro power supply
EVGA Dual Classified 780 Ti
H100i cooler
QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll SE monitor

My ASUS Maximus VII Formula has stopped displaying video from PCIe slots. This started with system freezes while gaming, system would boot up after using reset button then would continue to work until another freeze (always during gaming). After two days it stopped booting up (I later learnt it is booting up but no display through GFX).
Diagnostics I've done (and usually combination of them):
- connected older monitor - no display through GFX card, but display through motherboard HDMI output (cant connect my Qnix to it as it only works with DVI-D or active adapaters)
- connected older GFX card - no display on 1st PCIe (counting from top, fastest), but initially display on 2nd PCIe with another freeze after some time, would boot up again and work for awhile but finally after a couple of freezes no display anymore on any the slots
- main GFX wouldn't display on any slot
- tried swapping RAM, booting with one (before I've learned it displays from motherboard HDMI)
- tried two other DVI cables - no display
- cleared CMOS
- I have flashed the latest BIOS (Version 3503 Beta Version 2018/04/26)
- with no display I get A0 code on MB (which means pc is in OS)

From what I have read on this forum from threads with similar problem it looks like it's either MB PCIe slots failure or (more likely) CPU failure (part that's contrilling PCIe lanes). The CPU and MB are around 4-5 years old (bought second hand 3.5 years ago).
Any thoughts on what could be the cause?
Any other way I could test what has failed?
6 REPLIES 6

dekoder
Level 7
Any clues would be very appreaciated

davemon50
Level 11
Just some thoughts and followup questions:

• What's your PSU rating 650 or 850? Tried swapping for a test PSU of equal or higher rating? 650W is pushing it if you are overclocking your rig, and/or running games at high video rqmts, but perhaps you are running 850, you didn't say. PSU could be going flaky on you.
  • Are you overclocking anything, or running everything stock?
  • Confirmed proper seating I presume multiple times?
  • You said you cleared CMOS and retried after that, were the symptoms different after that?
  • Clearly from your post you have onboard graphics enabled (maybe just to get around this issue?). But have you had success by going into BIOS and setting your primary display to PCIE ? Also by disabling CPU Graphics Multi-monitor ?

Another thought is the output ports on the card, I've had some of them go bad before. You might simply be experiencing such a failure. If you have other output port types you can use adapters to try them and keep the same input to your monitor.
Davemon50

Thanks for answering and sorry for late reply.
1. My psu is 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM. I don't have another psu to swap unfortunately. I've tried other power cables and slots
2. I wasn't overclocking anything (initially I thought I was but edited, I mixed it up with my previous cpu, and checked that I'm running at 4GHz.)
3. I haven't checked actually... I've borrowed another chip and will be trying over the weekend.
4. Same symptoms, no display on both gfx
5. I haven't tried, thanks, will check that.

Tried hdmi on my 780ti and both DVI ports. And tried both dvi ports on my old card. Ive bought now a displayport to dvi active adapter and I'm able to use the Qnix connected to MB.

I'll get back after trying the other cpu on Saturday or if your tips help.

davemon50
Level 11
What did you mean by your response in #3? Reseat was referring to the GPU (PCIe graphics card) not the CPU. You indicated about another chip.
Davemon50

My bad, I thought you talk about cpu.
I have reseated the gpu, tried in secong pcie slot as well.

davemon50
Level 11
Any success with those BIOS changes?
Davemon50