Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer freeze and other issues

bruceanast
Level 7
Just recently built the following:

ASUS Maximus XI Hero BIOS: 0805 set to all defaults

INTEL I9-9900K No overclock

G. Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZR (4 8GB modules)

NZXT Kraken X62

EVGA GTX 1080

Computer freezes for a few seconds, then recovers after a few seconds. Sometimes the freeze will require a hard boot. System usually freezes when computer is idle. Computer wont freeze if playing a game, usually acts up when its not doing anything.

One other strange issue is that Origin will not fully load and NVIDIA Geforce experience will not load completely. Some programs say I am not connected to the internet, but the computer is online and other programs are fine and interacting with the internet. Something is buggy about the LAN port.

Things I have tried:

Reloaded Windows 10 64Bit

Reseated the CPU and NZXT AIO, ensured the AIO was not to tight (heard that overtight may cause weird CPU behavior)

Installed Chipset v. 1828.12.0.1152

Ive built numerous ASUS/INTEL boxes, but this problem is driving me batty... Ive read there may be an issue with running all 4 modules of G.Skill Tridentz RGB ram.

Where to Start?

Thanks....
14 REPLIES 14

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
bruceanast@att.net wrote:
Ive read there may be an issue with running all 4 modules of G.Skill Tridentz RGB ram.

If that's not a single kit of RAM, then that mey well be the source of the problems

If you have two kits...separate them by serial number and try one of them only...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If that's not a single kit of RAM, then that mey well be the source of the problems

If you have two kits...separate them by serial number and try one of them only...

It was bought as one kit (4 modules)… I am going to uninstall 2 modules in DIMM A1 and B1 and see if there is a change.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
If it's one kit...then I'd test one stick at a time in the recommended slot...if they pass try a pair...then all four reseated...

If that doesn't solve anything I'd do a clean install of Windows...minimal with no Geforce experience or AI suite or anything like that...

Then look at the MB

bruceanast
Level 7
bruceanast@att.net wrote:
Just recently built the following:

ASUS Maximus XI Hero BIOS: 0805 set to all defaults

INTEL I9-9900K No overclock

G. Skill F4-3200C16-8GTZR (4 8GB modules)

NZXT Kraken X62

EVGA GTX 1080

Computer freezes for a few seconds, then recovers after a few seconds. Sometimes the freeze will require a hard boot. System usually freezes when computer is idle. Computer wont freeze if playing a game, usually acts up when its not doing anything.

One other strange issue is that Origin will not fully load and NVIDIA Geforce experience will not load completely. Some programs say I am not connected to the internet, but the computer is online and other programs are fine and interacting with the internet. Something is buggy about the LAN port.

Things I have tried:

Reloaded Windows 10 64Bit

Reseated the CPU and NZXT AIO, ensured the AIO was not to tight (heard that overtight may cause weird CPU behavior)

Installed Chipset v. 1828.12.0.1152

Ive built numerous ASUS/INTEL boxes, but this problem is driving me batty... Ive read there may be an issue with running all 4 modules of G.Skill Tridentz RGB ram.

Where to Start?

Thanks....

Uninstalled ram modules in DIMM A1 and B1, no improvement. The program Origin loads, but the images/icons are missing and says Origin login is unavailable and says I am offline (which I am online and I can play games online). Computer still has intermittent hangs. DISCORD also will not start, it says its "starting" but never fully loads.

I somehow think there is an issue with the lan port.

I deleted the LAN driver, had the computer rediscover it and reinstalled v. V12.17.10.7

I went into device manager and manually asked to update driver, it found and installed v. 12.18.8.4.

After updating network driver, still having issues with freezing. Applications still have issues fully loading or recognizing that they are connected to internet.

bruceanast
Level 7
Ran Memtest86 thru 4 passes and no errors. I had two modules populated. I will try a fresh install of windows...

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
1. Verify this happens at stock (UEFI defaults without XMP enabled)

2. Test memory stabilty with https://www.karhusoftware.com/ramtest/
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

My computer is now stable. The 64bit LAN driver posted on ASUS website is not the correct LAN driver for the Maximus XI Hero motherboard. I believe it is a 32 bit driver. Once downloaded, it wont execute or install. I went to the INTEL website and downloaded from their website. I had windows do an automated search, built that driver didn't work either.

The way I diagnosed that it was a lan issue is I deleted the LAN from device manager and the system had absolutely no freezes. I left it on and tried several applications and it behaved normal. I was trying to install the drivers that came on the disk, but I have no disc drive, si I went to intels website and all seems to be good!

Thanks for those that replied and lent their advice.

I'm not sure, but i believe, youre right.... i have (had maybe) the same issue. Since 2 days (suspiciously long) i had no freeze. Could be so cool, if that was the issue. That problem killed me 3 weeks. I don't really think, that is a 32bit driver, but something must be wrong.

Btw: Could be nice, if a asus employees read this..to check that lan driver file.

old thread but we are seeing the same thing

We have 2 of these boards and on one we are having frequent lockups mostly when idle

we just applied the intel driver to see if it helps