Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by moses0101 View Post
    So.. a little update of mine,

As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

Teach me pls
    This what I think; fully exit ThrottleStop (TS), delete the ThrottleStop.ini file (in the TS folder), fully shutdown the computer (hold left shift key down as you select shutdown). This will reset all TS settings, it's important to get back to the default settings.

1 - If you have used Intel XTU to undervolt you need to be 100% certain that all CPU registers (that's what TS & XTU change) are back to default. The system also needs to be 100% before effecting changes.

2 - Set Windows Power Slider to Better Performance, Set ROG software to the same balanced mode, fair chance my settings/software are different:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-08 122628.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	79373
    GL703GS has 3 profiles which effects CPU & GPU performance and fan speed, want the notebook to be on a balanced setting. You can worry about OverBoost, Turbo, Silent modes etc.later once the undervolt is established.

3 - Open TS, in TS main window set up exactly like this;

Name:	TS-1.jpg 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	79369

4- In TS Options set up exactly like this:

Name:	TS-2.jpg 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	79370

5 -In the FIVR window, set up the same, however set both CPU Core & Cache Offset Voltage to -50mV. For the Battery profile do the same.

Name:	TS-3.jpg 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	79371

6 - Test the stability with TS Bench, with the 1024m option. If it's stable, decrease the CPU Core & Cache Offset Voltage to -60mV repeat until you see errors in TS Bench then increase +10mV. Then test again a minimum of 3 times to ensure zero errors. I would also elevate the rear for the notebook a sit's going to get hot.

It's important to establish a solid & stable undervolt before progressing with any other more advanced features of TS. The more that's changed the harder to diagnose the issue. I think ASUS ROG may have reduced the voltage to the CPU for the 2nd generation hex core notebooks, if that's the case your not going to be able to set the voltage offset anywhere as deeply as my GL703GS.

BD PROCHOT allows other "devices" to call the CPU to slow down to assist with cooling; dGPU, VRM's etc. Not a problem unless it's being triggered at an artificially low temp. C1E is related to CPU power saving and the vast majority of users need not uncheck it

As you can see from others it's possible to reduce temp and increase frame rates with a little care.

Q-6

Quote Originally Posted by mp271901 View Post
    Wow you are lucky guy. Tbh i dont have the exact same rig like you . I have a GL504GM Hero 2. i7 8750 H, 8gb RAM (single Channel), GTX 1060, WIN 10.
    I undervolted CPU to -0,085, intel GPU to -0,075, GPU to -0,088 and capped the CPU Core Frequency to 3,7Ghz and i still get temps in the low 80´s on basically low settings and with the FPS limited to 60 in the BF V settings (this kept the temps "low" as well).
    I know that when i buy another 8gb of RAM for dual channel i will get a nice FPS boost in games with high CPU usage (like BFV). But with higher FPS the temps will rise as well espacially in CPU intensive games and dont forget that with the Laptop gets older the temps tend to get worse.
    On top of that ASUS Laptops are not undervolting friendly, that would have been a at least a nice move of ASUS as the Cooling solutions is so bad. So i am very tempted to sell it on ebay as the ASUS support wont do s.hit. With the money i will my an MSI i think . They have the best cooling solution on the market and they are undervolting friendly. Actually i dont want to do repasting, i read to much storys of newbies (like i am one) doing it and the temps went through the roof after that.

So glad you got one of those few ASUS laptops which arent a complete mess.
    Works both ways my GL703GS has been a solid performer from day one. My MSI Raider, not even close and a PIA to get it run cool, even then. Next MSI I'd buy would be a GS 75, pity upgrades are such headache as the board is inverted.

Your certainly going to see temps rise with dual channel RAM. Undervolting the Intel GPU wont do anything for gaming and similar to the CPU you need to match values or it's ignored (System Agent I think).

In your situation I'd ensure the rear of the notebook is elevated of the desk or on a cooling pad. Undervolt and test with TS for a stable undervolt, then reduce the Turbo Limits in FIVR by a factor of 3, so max for all cores being 3.6GHz. It's all about the balance, 8750H can pull 60W 3.9GHZ or it can pull 90W at 3.9GHz depending what's being thrown at it, as it's all very far from being linear.

Problem is BF V is pushing both CPU & GPU, have you looked at MSI Afterburner many have had a lot of success in getting more FPS and cooler temps, by creating custom profile power curves, it may even be possible DL one. As I often say the system needs to be 100% first and foremost to get the best out such notebooks, if not it just adds endless complications. TBH low 80C is to be expected, small box, big power and all. I'd be inclined to reset the computer and start form scratch, at idle mine is down to 1% CPU load as I don't want apps running in the background, unless needed.

GL703GS, 8750H, GTX 1070, 32Gb CL19 @ 2666, NVMe & SSHD (out soon for 2TB Evo 860). Windows 10 Pro 1809, -140mV Undervolt (ThrottleStop), stock thermal paste, GPU stock settings (don't fix what isn't broken)

Q-6

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Queen6 View Post
    Works both ways my GL703GS has been a solid performer from day one. My MSI Raider, not even close and a PIA to get it run cool, even then. Next MSI I'd buy would be a GS 75, pity upgrades are such headache as the board is inverted.

Your certainly going to see temps rise with dual channel RAM. Undervolting the Intel GPU wont do anything for gaming and similar to the CPU you need to match values or it's ignored (System Agent I think).

In your situation I'd ensure the rear of the notebook is elevated of the desk or on a cooling pad. Undervolt and test with TS for a stable undervolt, then reduce the Turbo Limits in FIVR by a factor of 3, so max for all cores being 3.6GHz. It's all about the balance, 8750H can pull 60W 3.9GHZ or it can pull 90W at 3.9GHz depending what's being thrown at it, as it's all very far from being linear.

Problem is BF V is pushing both CPU & GPU, have you looked at MSI Afterburner many have had a lot of success in getting more FPS and cooler temps, by creating custom profile power curves, it may even be possible DL one. As I often say the system needs to be 100% first and foremost to get the best out such notebooks, if not it just adds endless complications. TBH low 80C is to be expected, small box, big power and all. I'd be inclined to reset the computer and start form scratch, at idle mine is down to 1% CPU load as I don't want apps running in the background, unless needed.

GL703GS, 8750H, GTX 1070, 32Gb CL19 @ 2666, NVMe & SSHD (out soon for 2TB Evo 860). Windows 10 Pro 1809, -140mV Undervolt (ThrottleStop), stock thermal paste, GPU stock settings (don't fix what isn't broken)

Q-6
    Thanks man. Idk when i decided to buy a gaming laptop, i knew there had to be done some adjustments (undervolting etc.) but i never expected such a forth and back especially for the price and the kind of decent reviews which i found on the internet.

According to your throttlestop settings:

you left Speedshift unchecked at 128 (the temps staying decent with that). When i am doing this the CPU´s core frequency is flactuating a lot betwen 3,9GHz and 3GHz, which causes FPS drops because sometimes when its on e.g. 3.3Ghz actually 3.9Ghz s needed.

You said you put the Core clock to 3,6Ghz. I know the temps will stay pretty low, wont that cause FPS drops because the game e.g. BFV needs the full core frequency?

Which Win 10 energy options do you use alsways? I assume balanced mode and you put the slider on better performance?

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by KhuloodF View Post
    Leave it checked, the value should default to 128.

I didn't touch the main page, basically.

I did not touch the iGPU UNslice, I only touched the Intel GPU and undervolted -49 mV.

Every GPU/CPU is different so I would work in increments of 5mv. It's painful but it's what I did to get to where I am. I am pretty sure if I increase my mV by even 1 it will crash the computer.
    Checking Speed Shift EPP in ThrottleStop (TS) will at do best nothing, at worst force a clash with Windows 10. 128 is a TS default, not the OEM value (mine being 84 or 0). To use Speed Shift effectively in TS you need to also set values in the TPL Window, again TS and W10 fighting to control the CPU is a very bad idea. Disabling W10 Speed Shift control is possible, equally far more complex.

Those unsure if Speed Shift is active (BIOS related) it will be Green in TS main window and you can check with HWinfo64 or CPU Z, SST should be available if Speed Shift is running, if not it can be manually started with TS. Speed Shift primary purpose is to improve CPU efficiency in changing frequency and associated power savings. it's not going to enhance performance of locked H series CPU's so don't sweat it.

Undervolt needs to be established for both CPU on and off load, across all power settings to ensure guaranteed stability, this is where the TS profiles come into play. On battery for instance VID will be reduced by default, too low a global undervolt and the system will crash, same applies for the likes of ROG's Silent mode (TDP down) as CPU PL-1 TDP is reduced to approx. 32W, versus the typical 45W.

Q-6

ROG Enthusiast Array

Checking Speed Shift EPP in ThrottleStop (TS) will at do best nothing, at worst force a clash with Windows 10. 128 is a TS default, not the OEM value (mine being 84 or 0). To use Speed Shift effectively in TS you need to also set values in the TPL Window, again TS and W10 fighting to control the CPU is a very bad idea. Disabling W10 Speed Shift control is possible, equally far more complex.

Those unsure if Speed Shift is active (BIOS related) it will be Green in TS main window and you can check with HWinfo64 or CPU Z, SST should be available if Speed Shift is running, if not it can be manually started with TS. Speed Shift primary purpose is to improve CPU efficiency in changing frequency and associated power savings. it's not going to enhance performance of locked H series CPU's so don't sweat it.

Undervolt needs to be established for both CPU on and off load, across all power settings to ensure guaranteed stability, this is where the TS profiles come into play. On battery for instance VID will be reduced by default, too low a global undervolt and the system will crash, same applies for the likes of ROG's Silent mode (TDP down) as CPU PL-1 TDP is reduced to approx. 32W, versus the typical 45W.

Q-6
    Hey Q-6,

you talked about limiting the TDP. How can i do it with Win10? In the ROG Gaming Center if i want to change the Fan modes it always stays at Overboost. Even when i make profiles with diferent modes it satys at overboost. Which values in the TPL screen should i change to get the best out of Speedshift.

I checked the box "lock" at the bottom of the picture below but now i cant uncheck it anymore .

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	79385

Regards
    Last edited by mp271901; 03-08-2019 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks man. Idk when i decided to buy a gaming laptop, i knew there had to be done some adjustments (undervolting etc.) but i never expected such a forth and back especially for the price and the kind of decent reviews which i found on the internet.

According to your throttlestop settings:

you left Speedshift unchecked at 128 (the temps staying decent with that). When i am doing this the CPU´s core frequency is flactuating a lot betwen 3,9GHz and 3GHz, which causes FPS drops because sometimes when its on e.g. 3.3Ghz actually 3.9Ghz s needed.

You said you put the Core clock to 3,6Ghz. I know the temps will stay pretty low, wont that cause FPS drops because the game e.g. BFV needs the full core frequency?

Which Win 10 energy options do you use alsways? I assume balanced mode and you put the slider on better performance?

Regards
    3.6GHZ will reduce the temp, cant have it both ways A small reduction in CPU frequency shouldn't effect the game too much, yet will reduce the temp by affair margin. Have you tried setting W10 to Best Performance, should bring up the CPU frequency, as it sets Speed Shift EPP to 0

Yep balanced with the slider on Better Performance, if I need more set ROG to Overboost and the slider to Best Performance.

Q-6

Hey Q-6,

you talked about limiting the TDP. How can i do it with Win10? In the ROG Gaming Center if i want to change the Fan modes it always stays at Overboost. Even when i make profiles with diferent modes it satys at overboost. Which values in the TPL screen should i change to get the best out of Speedshift.

I checked the box "lock" at the bottom of the picture below but now i cant uncheck it anymore .

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	79385

Regards
    With my GL703GS it has three modes that effect CPU/GPU TDP and fan RPM. You can see the change in TDP in the TS main window under full load or with HWinfo64. Speed Shift is already enabled by W10, setting the Windows power slider to Best Performance should set Speed Shift EPP to 0 (fastest). Turning the Speed Shift option on in TS will just result in TS & W10 fighting for control. No point really, just let W10 do it's thing, if you want max performance set to Best Performance on the W10 Power Slider, however that may push the temps.

To reduce TDP in W10 try the opposite, setting the Power Slider to Best Battery Life, should make a difference. You can really get into it with the advanced power settings, although I just like the easier option of using the slider, between that and ROG's profiles it's granular enough for my needs.

Can you do a screencap of your Gaming Center like as not it's different to my notebook, I can flip profiles with FN & F5 keys or in the Gaming Center, and can see the TDP change in TS when running TS Bench.

Well "Lock" does exactly that it locks the values. Answer is to exit TS, delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and set it up again, uncheck "Clamp" as that's a limiter.

Q-6

ROG Enthusiast Array

With my GL703GS it has three modes that effect CPU/GPU TDP and fan RPM. You can see the change in TDP in the TS main window under full load or with HWinfo64. Speed Shift is already enabled by W10, setting the Windows power slider to Best Performance should set Speed Shift EPP to 0 (fastest). Turning the Speed Shift option on in TS will just result in TS & W10 fighting for control. No point really, just let W10 do it's thing, if you want max performance set to Best Performance on the W10 Power Slider, however that may push the temps.

To reduce TDP in W10 try the opposite, setting the Power Slider to Best Battery Life, should make a difference. You can really get into it with the advanced power settings, although I just like the easier option of using the slider, between that and ROG's profiles it's granular enough for my needs.

Can you do a screencap of your Gaming Center like as not it's different to my notebook, I can flip profiles with FN & F5 keys or in the Gaming Center, and can see the TDP change in TS when running TS Bench.

Well "Lock" does exactly that it locks the values. Answer is to exit TS, delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and set it up again, uncheck "Clamp" as that's a limiter.

Q-6
    ok in which window i can see the TDP value in TS?.

I checked the energy options and i couldnt find the settings for TDP (first picture). i didnt unfold MAX processor state because it wouldnt fit in one picture then. But it shows the same stuff like MIN processor state.

I was able to change the fan modes with FN+F5 but just in case there is the picture as well.

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	79386

Name:	Capture1.JPG 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	79387

Regards

Here - Package Power 60W

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-09 025529.jpg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	79388

After 28 seconds it will drop to the PL-1 enforced limit of 45W, if TDP is reduced it will drop to 35W, on battery something like 28W etc. If TDP down is not working check that in TS FIVR Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits isn't checked as this breaks the TDP down feature.

Mine is a Strix (GL703GS, to be exact it's a S7BS8750)

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-09 030941.jpg 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	79389

Power limits in HWinfo64 90/45

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-09 031527.jpg 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	79390

TDP Down in effect 90/35

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-09 031714.jpg 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	79391

Note W10 power plan also has control via Speed Shift EPP, so want absolute max need to switch ROG to Overboost and W10 to Best Performance

Q-6
    Last edited by Queen6; 03-08-2019 at 07:24 PM. Reason: More Info

ROG Enthusiast Array

Here - Package Power 60W

Name:	Annotation 2019-03-09 025529.jpg 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	79388

After 28 seconds it will drop to the PL-1 limit of 45W, if TDP is reduced it will drop to 32W, on battery something like 28W etc. If TDP down is not working check that in TS FIVR Disable and lock Turbo Power Limits isn't checked as this breaks the TDP down feature.

Q-6
    Thanks i will give it test .

I deleted the TS.ini file but the box with "lock" in the TPL window is still grey and i cant uncheck it. I deinstalled TS completely but it is still checked. Any suggestions here?

Or on the other hand, what effect will that have, when i leave it like that?

Regards

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast