cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix II Scar Laptop Normal Gaming Temperatures?

KhuloodF
Level 9
Hello everybody,

I am new to the world of gaming laptops and was wondering if you could help me out.

I bought the ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) about two weeks ago.

My current specs are:

i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz (12 CPUs)

16 GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

NVIDIA GTX 2070

I have noticed when gaming (Overwatch on Ultra settings- which it defaults to in the NVIDA GeForce Center), CPU and GPU can easily hover to 85-90C (with the fans on Turbo).

When playing BF5, it can go to 94C (CPU, GPU Hovers around 85)

I have it on a cooling pad as well as a side vent fan, and it still hits those temps easily.

Less intensive games it holds around low 80's, high 70's which isn't bad at all.

Is this a common issue- and more importantly, are there fixes?

I heard underclocking the CPU can help. I tried using Intel XTU last night to underclock -.100 V but that caused the computer to crash mid-game in Overwatch.

Any help would be appreciated. I am also VERY noviced with computers so please don't be afraid to over explain.

Thanks!!!
78 REPLIES 78

moses0101
Level 7
You are using a gaming laptop... ofc you're gonna get high temperature ..

you can do some protection tho.. like cooling pad (it may be help for 1 - 5 Celsius decrease )

if underclock is not helping and will shut down your pc, don't do it.

if you're still hate that high temperature then... go for re-paste your thermal paste with a high-end one. (I'm gonna do it next month cuz im actually getting the same heat as yours

XTU may be interfering with the Gaming Center resulting in the crashes, as it too uses the XTU service. Better to use ThrottleStop with a delayed start up (2 min) IMO. Undervolting the CPU you have very little to lose, possibly a lot to gain. You can also reduce the Turbo Ratio Limits in ThrottleStop as unless the game is CPU bound, few need such performance as the 8750H offers. Better to establish a stable undervolt first.

I've an ROG GL703GS and it hardly reaches 85C when fully loaded, with a -140mV undervolt (CPU in isolation 75C). Your going to need to spend some time on the ThrottleStop forums, although the basics are easy to pick up. As long as you set a stable undervolt the system will not crash, BSOD etc.

Match Core & Cache offset values, say starting at -80mV and drop until you reach the point of stability. ThrottleStop has a built in test (TS bench) if your seeing any errors in TS bench (1024M) the undervolt is too deep, the Core & Cache voltage needs to be increased. I use my systems for work purpose I generally find lowest value then come back up 10mV to ensure stability.

Each CPU is unique, so there's no way to present an optimal value. My GL703GS can go as deep as -153mV, although to ensure stability I run it with an offset of -140mV it has yet to crash or BSOD etc. in over six months of heavy use, on all performance profiles or battery.

Doubts? -140mV undervolt,Turbo limits unlocked, CPU PL-1 reset to 65W, default being 45W. Under Prime95 Small FFT stress test CPU remains to be in limits with no thermal throttling...
This is a highly unrealistic scenario, with a massive synthetic load applied to the CPU. You will never push the CPU to such extremes while gaming, at default the 45W PL-1 limit will cut in at the 28 second point.

CPU on my GL703GS levels out at mid 70C as can be seen below with default Turbo limits, with -140mV undervolt.
Cinebench R15 & Prime95 running

CineBench R15 Undervolt with the default 45W PL-1 limit in place, you can expect results similar to this, which is strong for the 8750H, newer chipsets can push as high as 1300CB

FWIW there's nothing wrong with the notebook, equally some can be done to reduce the temperature, which is always desirable. ThrottleStop is a powerful tool and you should take it step at a time with understanding of the application. XTU also has interaction with BIOS which I don't care for, while ThrottleStop is simply an application that can be easily reset/removed.

GL703GS, 32GB, GTX1070, NVMe & SSHD, W10 Pro 1809 - ambient temp approx. 25C, stock paste

Q-6

Hello!

Inputting info about my ROG Strix II Scar Laptop (GL704GW) if i may?

So the temperatures are quite the same as yours, around 95°c peek spike and average 80-85 while gaming. No idea if this is good or bad. The thing is i did some undervolting and it was/is a weird experience.
While i can only undervolt to about -88mV to -90mV (cpu and chace-(probably writen incorrectly)) and still be stable, yesterday i said fxxx it and i went to -110mV while gaming, and what do you know, i had no crash no glitch no nothing. So i said to my self ˇok, maybe i can go moreˇ and i did, -115 all ok, and so on to -125mV where i got crashed.
So after laptop did a BSOD and a reset i putted my undervolt back to -110mV where it was still stable, but this time around i was not stable anymore. Just browsing the windows screen it crashed. Also while undervolted to -110mV the temperatures didnt exceed 90°c on cpu or it was just a spike temp to that temp, so it was really nice to see that, plus the cpu was all the time at 3.9 GHz on all cores
The question is, how come it worked good at -110mV while gaming before, and later after reset/BSOD i cant get even close to those values and im still locked at -90mV max?
Im using throttlestop and im also quite new to this undervolting mania :).

Thanks for any kind of info and sorry if i stole the tread a bit O:)!

The undervolt needs to be stable under load and idle, likely as simple as that, there's also a lot of power settings in W10. Best to screen capture the ThrottleStop settings and see how you have it set up. CPU Core & Cache should be the same Offset Voltage in FIVR, rest leave at default. If too much is scrambled up, delete the ThrottleStop.ini file and fully shutdown windows (hold left Shift key). ThrottleStop will create the .ini file again with default values when next run.

In my experience best to only focus on setting a stable undervolt, then moving forward with other features such as Turbo limits

Temperatures your interested in the average not the spikes, HWinfo64 can display this, just reset prior to a gaming or testing session.

Q-6

Hello again 🙂

So yesterday i tried again to undervolt to -110 (cpu+cache) in game AC Odyssey and left the game running for 1 hour. No crashes and steady performance. Plus i ran benchmarks a few times in ac odyssey and all good, but soon as i quit the game i get crash and BOSD.
Is it possible that cpu or cache should not be undervolted to the same degree, for instance i put Cpu undervolt to -110 and cache to -80, is that maybe the solution with i7 8750h? It bothers me really alot that it works half way!

Unrelated just for kicks:
- result for AC odyssey benchmark is 72 fps/average on ultra, 1080p, is that good for my laptop (i7 8750h, rtx 2070) ?

Thank you for your answer!

Is all trial and error as each CPU is unique. There no harm in changing the values as BOSD is certainly undesirable, it may also be related to the game and the RTX GPU is still very new in notebooks. Cant tell you if the numbers are good as I have a Strix GL903GL with GTX 1070, nor do I have that game.

Have you tried running the TS Bench (1024m) in ThrottleStop? if no errors the BOSD is likely not related to the undervolt.

Q-6

So it is not necessary to put both the CPU and cache on the same uV value?
Im asking this because i read on some forum that it is necessary and again on one forum that is not necessary to match these two values.

About the ts bench, if go to -90(on cpu+cache) it runs with a few errors and sometimes with none, but after that value its all just a big error fest.
As you said, test trial and errors, so i guess i didnt win the lottery 🙂
Maybe if i play with different values on cpu and cache it will be better.

Thanks again and hope i dont break any more baxxx 😛

TBH I've read the same. it's been generally an assumption that it's better to match Core & Cache voltages for stability and that how Intel's own XTU works. Personally I've not seen a difference although I've mostly left it at -140mV

You shouldn't see any errors in TS Bench as it just a basic calculation, if errors are returned then the voltage needs to be increased. Problem being is we have different models and ASUS may have changed CPU voltage or something else may be going on. You wont break anything, however there's a risk that it will BSOD and corrupt a system file, so it's always wise to back up. You can verify core integrity with DISM ;

Try these command in admin Command Prompt or PowerShell (need to be online as uses aspects of Windows Update)

To check - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

To effect repair - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Then restart and run SFC in admin Command Prompt or PowerShell

sfc /scannow

This will fix any inconsistencies as ever your best to be backed up. I just use the old W7 backup that is still build into W10 and create a system mage , as it's yet to fail me. - Settings - Update & Security - Backup

Also ensure XTU is not running, as it will clash with ThrottleStop to control the CPU. The basic XTU service is OK as I believe all that's doing is reading the CPU register to give the CPU frequency in the ROG Gaming Centre, certainly that way on my GL703GS.

Q-6

So I wanted to give an update-

Running intel XTU with a -.095 undervolt and using GPU Tweak II from ASUS with a GPU Temp limit set at 77- I've seen my performance stay in the mid-to-high 70's consistently when gaming on Overwatch on High Settings and capped frame rate at 65-70 FPS. No stutters or any other issues.
If I leave frame rates uncapped, I can hit 120+ FPS easily (phew, good ol' 2070), but temp soars back into the high 80's (but still no stutters)

If I try to push to -0.1 V I get the BSOD, so I'm pretty sure that's the limit my computer can be undervolted (sucks).

While internet browsing/youtube I sit at low 50's and high 40's.

Between Intel XTU and Throttlestop, which is better (or more stable)?

I've noticed whenever I restart my computer, XTU resets and doesn't save my profile. Neither does the GPU Tweak II from Asus. I have to re-set both on launch. Also I've noticed that XTU bugs out when I try to launch the Armoury Crate.

If throttlestop is more stable I'd much prefer to use it to undervolt the CPU, CPU Cache, and GPU.