Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 76
  1. #21
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    44

    Hey Guys,

    I have a GL504GM Hero 2 and i was tweeking around a bit and figured out that my temps of the CPU stayed quite decent with the Core Clock locked to 3,7GHz and undervolted to -0,085. My question is, how much is the full potential of the i7 8750H really needed these days (3,9Ghz)? Because i am thinking i have paid for the full i7 (3,9Ghz) and now i have to stick to 3,7GHz (200MHz less) less because of bad thermal management. Will the 200MHz make much of a difference in the future?

    Thanks guys

  2. #22
    ROG Enthusiast Array Queen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    55

    Quote Originally Posted by KhuloodF View Post
    Alright so updates again, I think I'm happy with where I'm at for now.

    BIOS 303
    I used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache by just under -100 mV.
    I undervolted the intel GPU by -49 mV
    Did not enable speed shift, left it at 128
    Used GPU Tweak II to set GPU temp limit to 78.

    Also am using a cooling pad propped at an angle under my laptop.

    On High settings with Overwatch I can consistently run 120-ish FPS with mid-to-high 70s for hours.
    If I cap the frame rate in Overwatch to 70-60ish, I can run temps in the low 70s and high 60s.
    With more casual games, temps stay in mid-to-high 60s.
    While browsing youtube, temps are in low 50's high 40s. Idling it sits in low 40's high 30's.

    No stutter, no lag, and the computer is super zippy.

    For me, a casual gamer, this is more than enough performance. I think I've found my happy spot. So long as I can stay away from being in the mid 80's for hours, I'm content

    Will try testing with BF5 today and see what happens.
    Good to see that you've got it where you want and can get on with just using it Each system is unique so it takes a little to find the balance.

    Q-6

  3. #23
    ROG Enthusiast Array Queen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    55

    Quote Originally Posted by mp271901 View Post
    Hey Guys,

    I have a GL504GM Hero 2 and i was tweeking around a bit and figured out that my temps of the CPU stayed quite decent with the Core Clock locked to 3,7GHz and undervolted to -0,085. My question is, how much is the full potential of the i7 8750H really needed these days (3,9Ghz)? Because i am thinking i have paid for the full i7 (3,9Ghz) and now i have to stick to 3,7GHz (200MHz less) less because of bad thermal management. Will the 200MHz make much of a difference in the future?

    Thanks guys
    What's guaranteed by intel is the base CPU frequency, Turbo is something else. If your getting 3.7GHz it's decent performance, another 200MHz will not add up to much. You may be able to push to 3.9GHz, equally it may mot be worth the trade off. More likely the CPU is being limited by the enforced PL-1 limit than the thermals.

    Q-6

  4. #24
    ROG Enthusiast Array Queen6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    55

    Quote Originally Posted by odavl123 View Post
    Howdy!

    So yesterday i found my uV limit and its -72 to still pass the TS bench without any errors.
    Btw this is my third laptop in 4 months, 1st one being Xiaomi somethingsomething and i returned it becaus of overheating (im not over exaggerating, becous people at service were stunned by the temp.), then i took Alienware 17 r4 (badas.s. yeah!) well on this laptop, after just 4 days got his motherboard fried (ohh happy days)...now i have Scar II rtx, and to be honest i think this one is also going back. Reason is, really bad bad SSHD speed, below 100MB/s read, if i remember correctly it was around 60MB/s, next thing Wi-fi...omg wifi!!! the old laptop, that is still functional and i still have WoW installed works good no latecy, youtube runs super, utorrent crazy fast, on the new one blah so much latecy you wont belive also download speed is all over the place, from 50kb/s to 3MB/s if there is sun outside xD, and i did everything possible, from rolling back windows to uninstalling/reinstalling drivers, praying to the god damn gods of computing !!!
    And the next thing, that bums me the most of all is the temperatures, yes i understand that this is gaming laptop and it runs hot and spikes can go to 100°c, but this is too much even after uV the average temp. is 86°c+ and also that would be great if the cpu clock wouldnt go to 2.9GHz.
    So laptop for 2,1k and no way that it works out of the box as intended, so its going back and demand a new one.
    What you guys/gals think?

    ps.: this laptop dosent feel like 2100€ machine!
    (No idea if this is for this tread, if you feel its not i will remove)

    Best regards!
    I've observed odd SSHD speeds during some bench testing, however in real life the performance is where I expect it to be. If CPU is around 85C it should be capable of a lot more frequency than 2.9GHz. So something else is holding it back. WiFI don't know might be as simple as a conflict with the router.

    Although the intermediate model Strix 17" performance is not an issue
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1279CB.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	287.8 KB 
ID:	79363
    SSD
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3K MBs.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	79364
    SSHD
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	141MBs.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	79365
    You either chose to work with it, or return it for a replacement or get another notebook.

    Q-6

  5. #25
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    44

    Quote Originally Posted by KhuloodF View Post
    Alright so updates again, I think I'm happy with where I'm at for now.

    BIOS 303
    I used throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache by just under -100 mV.
    I undervolted the intel GPU by -49 mV
    Did not enable speed shift, left it at 128
    Used GPU Tweak II to set GPU temp limit to 78.

    Also am using a cooling pad propped at an angle under my laptop.

    On High settings with Overwatch I can consistently run 120-ish FPS with mid-to-high 70s for hours.
    If I cap the frame rate in Overwatch to 70-60ish, I can run temps in the low 70s and high 60s.
    With more casual games, temps stay in mid-to-high 60s.
    While browsing youtube, temps are in low 50's high 40s. Idling it sits in low 40's high 30's.

    No stutter, no lag, and the computer is super zippy.

    For me, a casual gamer, this is more than enough performance. I think I've found my happy spot. So long as I can stay away from being in the mid 80's for hours, I'm content

    Will try testing with BF5 today and see what happens.
    Looking forward to see your BF V results. I left Speedshift at 128 unchecked as well. The Temps were quite decent in BF V around 77 degrees. But the fluctuation of the CPU Frequency from 3,9GHz to sometimes 3GHz causes Framedrops as well. So i decided to lock the Core frequency to 3,7Ghz and the temps staying now in the low 80´s. But i guess that will only be the case with BF V as it is such a CPU intensive game.

  6. #26
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    28
    Posts
    26

    So Update with BFV:

    Game is on highest settings at 1080 P x 144 HZ resolution, I capped FPS at 120 because after that is just superfluous for me.

    Game ran like butter during actual game play- temps stayed well into high 60s and mid 70s. FPS Average hovered around 90.

    The only time I noticed a slight stutter is when the pre-made game sequences would load. I would have a moment where it would stop, and then go on as if nothing happened. It only happened once.

    This is a huge, huge, huge improvement. When I first launched BFV without any tweaking I was in high 80s-low 90s.

    Just for kicks and giggles I decided to lift the frame cap off Overwatch and play on Ultra settings, temps never went past 75 with 120 FPS average.

    I would imagine I won't play anything more intensive than BFV on my laptop anytime soon, so I'm super happy, performance wise and temp wise.

    Like I said, I may not be getting "max" overclocking or blah blah blah, but for the casual gamer like me: A steady FPS of around 80-120 for games with temps in the 70s in the most intensive game is a win in my book.


    Again, keep in mind I do have an under laptop cooler as well as three side fans to help with air circulation. I'm sure that also is making some semblance of a difference. But I really only saw this major, consistent, drop after all these internal tweaks.

    Thank you guys so freaking much for all your help!

  7. #27
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    So.. a little update of mine,

    As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

    And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

    Teach me pls

  8. #28
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    44

    Quote Originally Posted by KhuloodF View Post
    So Update with BFV:

    Game is on highest settings at 1080 P x 144 HZ resolution, I capped FPS at 120 because after that is just superfluous for me.

    Game ran like butter during actual game play- temps stayed well into high 60s and mid 70s. FPS Average hovered around 90.

    The only time I noticed a slight stutter is when the pre-made game sequences would load. I would have a moment where it would stop, and then go on as if nothing happened. It only happened once.

    This is a huge, huge, huge improvement. When I first launched BFV without any tweaking I was in high 80s-low 90s.

    Just for kicks and giggles I decided to lift the frame cap off Overwatch and play on Ultra settings, temps never went past 75 with 120 FPS average.

    I would imagine I won't play anything more intensive than BFV on my laptop anytime soon, so I'm super happy, performance wise and temp wise.

    Like I said, I may not be getting "max" overclocking or blah blah blah, but for the casual gamer like me: A steady FPS of around 80-120 for games with temps in the 70s in the most intensive game is a win in my book.


    Again, keep in mind I do have an under laptop cooler as well as three side fans to help with air circulation. I'm sure that also is making some semblance of a difference. But I really only saw this major, consistent, drop after all these internal tweaks.

    Thank you guys so freaking much for all your help!
    Wow you are lucky guy. Tbh i dont have the exact same rig like you . I have a GL504GM Hero 2. i7 8750 H, 8gb RAM (single Channel), GTX 1060, WIN 10.
    I undervolted CPU to -0,085, intel GPU to -0,075, GPU to -0,088 and capped the CPU Core Frequency to 3,7Ghz and i still get temps in the low 80´s on basically low settings and with the FPS limited to 60 in the BF V settings (this kept the temps "low" as well).
    I know that when i buy another 8gb of RAM for dual channel i will get a nice FPS boost in games with high CPU usage (like BFV). But with higher FPS the temps will rise as well espacially in CPU intensive games and dont forget that with the Laptop gets older the temps tend to get worse.
    On top of that ASUS Laptops are not undervolting friendly, that would have been a at least a nice move of ASUS as the Cooling solutions is so bad. So i am very tempted to sell it on ebay as the ASUS support wont do s.hit. With the money i will my an MSI i think . They have the best cooling solution on the market and they are undervolting friendly. Actually i dont want to do repasting, i read to much storys of newbies (like i am one) doing it and the temps went through the roof after that.

    So glad you got one of those few ASUS laptops which arent a complete mess.

  9. #29
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    28
    Posts
    26

    I really do hope that it's not a fluke and will disappear or cause crashes later on.

    Just got off a 3 hour gaming session...what's interesting to note is that I had my laptop on battery saver mode (just letting the battery drain a bit since it's been a few days since I allowed it to), and forgot and started gaming. Throttlestop was disabled and overwatch temps automatically went into the 80s and refused to come down.

    Stopped the game and relaunched throttlestop....immediately temps went back to low 70s-high 60s and didn't go higher for the rest of the 3 hours.

    I genuinely think it's the tweaking that's making the difference...keep pushing around. It took me about 4 days to find a happy spot for the computer.

    And do download GPU TWEAK II. It has the option to set the max GPU Temp limit. I keep mine at 77 and see no performance issues on my end.

  10. #30
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    28
    Posts
    26

    Quote Originally Posted by moses0101 View Post
    So.. a little update of mine,

    As you told me u left speed shift uncheck and put it 0, but idk how to change the number of the speed shift. So i just uncheck all the stuff in the first page and only left BD PROCHOT and C1E stay check. (I'm not sure also what they do but i just left they check)

    And I also let my "intel GPU" and "iGPU UNslice" to become non undervolt , BUT I still get a -90mV BSOD .... what should I do for getting more performance and temperature control ?

    Teach me pls

    Leave it checked, the value should default to 128.

    I didn't touch the main page, basically.

    I did not touch the iGPU UNslice, I only touched the Intel GPU and undervolted -49 mV.

    Every GPU/CPU is different so I would work in increments of 5mv. It's painful but it's what I did to get to where I am. I am pretty sure if I increase my mV by even 1 it will crash the computer.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •