ROG Junior Member Array

ROG Mothership (GZ700): still usable on a lapdesk?

Hello! My name is Melissa. I've been using the ROG G series of gaming laptops for many years. I'm currently using the G751. I'm super excited by the GZ700 (ROG Mothership), except I'm worried it won't work on my lapdesk (https://iskelter.com/hover-x-gamers-lapdesk). The display with the kickstand seems like it will be unstable as I shift around, even if I keep the keyboard engaged (the connection seems to be through magnets, which doesn't suggest strength). The whole point of these laptops for me has been the ability to game on the sofa with my family - my husband uses the exact same setup as I do. Has anyone heard or seen anything that suggests that the Mothership will still be usable in this way? Or are they effectively forcing it back to a desk?

I'm also looking at the G703GX. Unfortunately, my understanding is that it requires two power connectors which is a bit of a blocker.

I want to stay in the ASUS family. Any thoughts on whether the Mothership will fit / be stable on a lapdesk?

ROG Junior Member Array

After some more research, it looks like the Mothership will also require two power bricks. Seems like that's the way things are going.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

It's really intended for college students with limited space or possibly mobile professionals who only need to setup and teardown infrequently. A standard form factor laptop would work much better in your use case.

Depending on what you play you could also have a more powerful system somewhere else in the house and use Steam to stream the game to your laptop.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!