New Build ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTRME OMEGA BSOD issues while system Idle

TheBobFather
Level 7
System Specs:
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300
MB: ROG RAMPAGE VI EXTRME OMEGA
CPU: Intel i9-9980XE Skylake X 18-Core
COOLER: ROG Ryujin 240 RGB AIO
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 128GB (8 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2800 (QVL Verified)
VIDEO: Dual GIGABYTE Radeon RX 580 8GB (not in Crossfire as my work uses 7 monitors, I don't get to game much ;-( )
HD: 1tb WD Black SATAIII HD (to be replaced with nVME Samsung 970 as soon as system is stable)
Note: PSU, MB, CPU, COOLER, RAM, VIDEO all within 14 days purchase from NewEgg.

Installed:
Win 10 Pro 64bit (Fresh from Scratch)
Latest BIOS Flashed
Latest Video BIOS
All Drivers Downloaded from ASUS website to confirm they are latest.
Using Radeon Crimson ReLive drivers from Gigabyte as the 2019 Adrenalin WattMan was unstable in Non Corssfire Mode with multiple monitors.
Not Using RGB Fusion as it was showing Errors
Running Core Temp 0.99.7

System Status:
Prime95 47 minutes no errors
ASUS Stress Test No errors
Memtest86 No errors
Windows 10 No Issues under Load during normal hours.

Issue:
Every night, at least 1 BSOD between 2am and 7am with no activity on pc.
Windows Power setting is High Performance
Displays are set to never sleep.
Screen Saver set to Blank Screen.
Coban Backup Runs 3 jobs starting at 2am. (all ran fine last night as BSOD didn't happen until around 6:14am.)

Actions:
Re-installed Windows a 2nd time.
Test all RAM on another ASUS board system, No errors their either and it does not BSOD.
Evaluated MemoryDump from BSOD and can provide that if it will help.

I'm Desperate, have been working on this for over a week now.
My last build back in 2011 (ROG Rampage III Extreme Black Edition with i7 Extreme) ran without issues.

Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
When you say the memory was tested, are you using memtest? Sometimes you might not get immediate blue screens even if the memory configuration is unstable so just putting the modules in another system doesn't 100% confirm. It also doesn't test the memory controller on the system with the stability issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Yes, I tested the memory in both systems using memtest86. Took hours to run the test.
The other board was the ASUS ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING, (which I almost like better).

xeromist
I'm afraid I'm not so good at reading the error dumps either. I usually look through the Event Viewer at the time of the incident and try to google anything that looks pertinent.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I'v been through the Events that happened just prior to the BSOD Restarts and have been working through any idea I can come up with on the web.
Yesterday I disabled the Power "control" on the Network Cards and WiFi so they can't be put to sleep or woken up to conserve power.

I was anticipating another dump file this morning to go over and hopefully find something new, but to my happy surprise there was no new dump file because no BSOD happened last night. This is only the 2nd night since completing the new system build to NOT have a BSOD over night.

I'm hoping this last change resolved the issue. I will not be making any further changes until the current configuration has been given time to prove/disprove its stability.

I'm still open to any feedback or advice I can get.

xeromist
I know this isn't helpful since you already tested but I would suggest trying HCI Memtest in the future. It runs in Windows and you can open multiple instances to spread the load across threads. Easier and faster to test memory. You can even keep using the machine while you test.

Thank you for that info. I did not know about HCI Memtest. It looks like it will be much better to tests from Windows while using the system.
I'm going to run some additional tests using this, for that added peace of mind.

The reason I'v built a new system is because I had a Lightning Strike that took out a Wireless Router and proceeded in across my entire hardwired network and
got my Rampage III Extreme Black mb.
I couldn't justify the expense of trying to replace the R3Extreme board, and since I want to run nVME rather than the SATA SSD I have been running, used this as a good reason to build a new system.

I have picked up a used ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 board to run my i7-990x. I just couldn't abandon it...

Thanks for the heads up about HCI Memtest.

xeromist
Oh, well I hope the budget included a UPS! Better it fries than the whole PC.

Actually run 2 APC 1500's. I had 1 running the Box and the other running the Monitors. Where we live a get a lot of power outages and can't afford to shut down all my work, so splitting the load and running 2 APC's lets me keep things running for about 45 minutes or so.

The hard part about this strike was that it came in over hardwired Ethernet, and not over the power system. I lost all Switches, Router, Blue-ray player, TV hooked up via HDMI to the Blue-ray... basically everything physically connected to my network. Several USB items, including my old Logitech webcam, and old Logitech wireless KB/MS transceiver were fried, as well as both of the APC 1500's hooked up to my main system. Can't say why for sure, except they were hooked up to USB to control system shutdown with PowerChute software. I lost 1 of my ASUS 27" monitors, was burn marks on the base of it where the surge was looking for another ground and the Video card that monitor was hooked up to was fried as well. It was crazy bad. I now have the replaced Wireless AP running through the Network Protection port on the back of the APC and also have broken up the network with protection between segments. Hopefully that was the only "weak" point in the system and any future occurrence will be stopped at that point. I don't know if I can deal with another event like that. That moment where I'm standing in the middle of my office and everything is SILENT.... where to start first was the only thing I could think. Even got my tablet which I had hooked up with a USB Ethernet adapter to achieve faster file transfer.

Here is pic of the Linksys Access Point WAP54G were it appears the source was. Found pieces of it all over the carport.

xeromist
Holy crap! That's incredibly bad. Sorry for your loss. It makes me a little nervous about the outside connection from my ISP. I never really bother to protect data lines like I do power.