cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.1 Gen 2 Case Cable to ASUS X299 Mark 2 USB 3.0 Socket

CraigJConrad
Level 7
Hi, I have a nice Cooler Master case that has USB 3.0 (3.1?) connectors on the front panel. It has a short (meaning it won't reach much of the MB) cable hanging down which I've identified as a USB 3.1 Gen 2 connector (20 pin). The ASUS motherboard doesn't have a matching connector, but has a "USB 3.1 Gen 1" socket (20 pin).

The case has ZERO information about this cable, and I can't seem to find anything that will adapt from the case's cable to the ASUS connector.

Can anyone point me to a cable/adapter that would let me connect the front panel USB to the motherboard?

Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8

davemon50
Level 11
Wow I just typed up a 4-paragraph response to you, and then the forum just gave me a lousy access-denied and wiped it all out! Let me try again.

First, are you sure that the case has a Gen 2 port? Gen 2 runs at 10 Gbps in lieu of the 5 Gbps with Gen 1 ports. Typically the Gen 2 is labeled with a 10 for that reason, or as SS10 for superspeed 10. Sometimes the Gen 1 ports have an SS next to them. There really is no 3.0 USB technically, it's just 3.1 Gen 1 according to the USB spec, they are the same thing.

In either case your motherboard has 2 USB 3.0-Gen 1 headers to connect to. Looks like the 3.0-type 20-pin connectors are what you might have from your case, so if you have two of the same type connectors from your internal case wiring just connect to those two headers on your board (one is on bottom front, and one is on the side). Or if you have one wire from the case that is a 3.0-type 20-pin connector and one that is the newer 3.1-type with the smaller form factor then you will need an adapter, something like THIS.
Davemon50

[QUOTE=davemon50;763695
First, are you sure that the case has a Gen 2 port? Gen 2 runs at 10 Gbps in lieu of the 5 Gbps with Gen 1 ports. Typically the Gen 2 is labeled with a 10 for that reason, or as SS10 for superspeed 10. Sometimes the Gen 1 ports have an SS next to them. There really is no 3.0 USB technically, it's just 3.1 Gen 1 according to the USB spec, they are the same thing.

Thank you for the reply, and I apologize for not responding earlier (I just saw the notification, as I had gone to an email address that is being phased out).

Well, my case has four USB ports on the front. The first is one of those small symmetrical (rounded corners) connectors. The other three are physically identical, so I can't know for sure if they are 2.0 or 3.0. I have a slightly older (by one year) Cooler Master case that is nearly identical to this one, but has lighted numbers above those four ports (3.0, 3.0, 2.0, 2.0), but on this new case, there are no lighted markings on these (the two buttons on either side of these four ports *does* have a light on both cases). I can also confirm that all the standard USB ports are functional (I don't have anything with which to test that small USB connector), though I don't know how to tell if they are USB 2.0, 2.1, 3.0, 3.1. So, everything *seems* functional, but I still have this extra unused connector, begging for attention 🙂

Here is a photo of the orphan connector:

davemon50
Level 11
The rounded port is a Type C. And the thing in your photo above is the smaller form factor 3.1 type header connector, so you'll need to use an adapter as I mentioned above. Your board doesn't have that type of connector but adapters are available.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
The rounded port is a Type C. And the thing in your photo above is the smaller form factor 3.1 type header connector, so you'll need to use an adapter as I mentioned above. Your board doesn't have that type of connector but adapters are available.

Thanks once again! OK, I understand that I would need an adapter (heck, that cable isn't long enough to reach the motherboard, even if it had a matching connection!). What confuses me, though, is what will connecting this do? I mean .... all the front panel ports (except the Type C that I can't test yet) are functional, so they seem to be working as connected now. So what does this dangling connector attach to, if these are already attached to something? Am I supposed to disconnect one of the other connectors coming from the front panel in favor of this one?

davemon50
Level 11
It's a USB 3 connector, you should have two USB 3.1 headers on your motherboard. Check out the motherboard layout picture in your manual and look at bubble number 7. That's what you need to connect to, there are two indicated in the manual.
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
It's a USB 3 connector, you should have two USB 3.1 headers on your motherboard. Check out the motherboard layout picture in your manual and look at bubble number 7. That's what you need to connect to, there are two indicated in the manual.

I understand that there are connectors on the motherboard, and that this orphan cable needs an adapter to connect to one of them. What I don't understand is what making this connection will accomplish, as all the front case ports are functional (except that I can't test the single small type C). So, if these ports are already working, they must already be connected to *something* from the motherboard. Unless, of course, you suspect that the untested type C connector is what this orphan connector is for.

davemon50
Level 11
It may not get you anything at all, it might just be a redundant connector so that you have the option for either type depending on your board. You'd have to ask the case mfg that question, unless their instructions already tell you (and I'm guessing they don't). Either way you'd need an adapter to make it work, which is what you asked at the beginning of this thread. If you've already got USB powered then I'm guessing you already hooked up the other USB cable to get that.
Davemon50

CraigJConrad
Level 7
OK, thanks. Yes, I've tried to ask that of Cooler Master and no response. Their documentation definitely does *NOT* even mention this connector. I guess it is *possible* that one of the cables that I *did* connect should be disconnected and this orphan (via adapter) should be connected instead. That would mean that the front panel is made to have either one connected at a time. I wouldn't think it would need *both* connected at once, in fact, I'd be concerned of creating some kind of issue doing that.

Oh well, without any insight from the case maker, I'll let the orphan alone. It's unfortunate -- I really *love* the Cooler Master cases I've had, but with undocumented things like this, it will probably be my last one.

I do appreciate your help through this.