cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with GL504GM Fan speeds and ROG gaming center

EmielK
Level 7
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem:
I have a ROG strix GL504GM notebook, bought last year in august, and everything was fine until the last month or so, my fan speeds are far too loud. Even when I'm not gaming or doing anything at all my fan is often spinning really fast, and because of that is very noisy. I installed apps like speedfan to monitor my fan speeds but to no avail, it just tells me my temperatures of the cpu and gpu are fine (actually really cold, around 18 degrees). For the gpu it alternates between 0 and 38 degrees. If I open the ROG gaming center app to check my system status I get -32768 degrees for the temperature of my GPU:
which is really weird! It seems there is something wrong with the detection of the temperatures of my cpu and gpu. Anyone knows how to handle this? Do I have to open the notebook up and reconnect the fans or something like that? If yes, is there a detailed step-by-step plan for this?

Cheers,
Emiel
26 REPLIES 26

josephrock77
Level 7
HEY BRO, have you found a solution for this??? have the same issue.. i uninstall the nvidia driver sometimes work and sometimes not.. the problem is with the BIOS default setting... when i wake my laptops from closing the lid while working..... BOOM HAPPENS again GPU FANS like TORNADO. really annoying. I want to retun this thing now RMA, maybe no solution because ASUS product issue eliminate user ability to control the right fans speed... SHAME....

Same issue here!

I have the same issue with my asus rog GL553VE with windows 10 1809 for info my rog gaming center is on version 2.1.3 *how fix this problem thank you for answer*

warmbooter
Level 7
I have the same problem with GPU fan speed going maximum with no reason. GL503GE laptop. Anyone could find a solution for this? As usual, ASUS support is being useless.

I have a bold guess, this is caused by static electricity on the main board.

My machine is GL504GM, which has the same problem as yours. After I tried to unplug the battery and fan wiring on the motherboard and plug it in again, the problem disappeared.

And for the next few days, there were no problems. But over a longer period of time, the problem will slowly recur.

My guess is that static electricity from the motherboard caused the control chip to go crazy, so the fan went crazy.

Improper computer design, ungrounded power sockets or defective motherboards can cause static electricity to accumulate on the motherboards.

Similarly, higher temperatures may affect static electricity on the motherboard, so high processor loads may bring the fan back to normal.

Now every once in a while, I unplug the battery and fan cables from the motherboard and plug them back in. The problem can be solved temporarily.

Before, any software or BIOS update that caused the problem to disappear may have been done by them just as the fan problem disappeared, so they mistakenly thought that their operation caused the fan repair.

I also have the problem of abnormal temperature display, but I don't know how to solve it

Above is my guess and method, at least this method is useful in my GL504GM, I hope it can help you.

棽木 wrote:
I have a bold guess, this is caused by static electricity on the main board.

My machine is GL504GM, which has the same problem as yours. After I tried to unplug the battery and fan wiring on the motherboard and plug it in again, the problem disappeared.

And for the next few days, there were no problems. But over a longer period of time, the problem will slowly recur.

My guess is that static electricity from the motherboard caused the control chip to go crazy, so the fan went crazy.

Improper computer design, ungrounded power sockets or defective motherboards can cause static electricity to accumulate on the motherboards.

Similarly, higher temperatures may affect static electricity on the motherboard, so high processor loads may bring the fan back to normal.

Now every once in a while, I unplug the battery and fan cables from the motherboard and plug them back in. The problem can be solved temporarily.

Before, any software or BIOS update that caused the problem to disappear may have been done by them just as the fan problem disappeared, so they mistakenly thought that their operation caused the fan repair.

I also have the problem of abnormal temperature display, but I don't know how to solve it

Above is my guess and method, at least this method is useful in my GL504GM, I hope it can help you.

Thanks for your reply! I still have the same problem, but I will try doing that (re plug the fan and battery cables from the motherboard). Only thing is then my warranty is probably gone 😕 How long does it take for the fan to go crazy again after this temporary fix?

EmielK wrote:
Thanks for your reply! I still have the same problem, but I will try doing that (re plug the fan and battery cables from the motherboard). Only thing is then my warranty is probably gone 😕 How long does it take for the fan to go crazy again after this temporary fix?

For me, it took 1 month until I need to apply the "fix" again.

So has anyone found the solution that doesn't require to disassemble the laptop every month?

I've seen on this forum that it's either the CPU fan or the GPU fan that is giving trouble. In my case, it's the CPU one, going constantly at 7800 RPM regardless of settings - checked using the ROG Gaming Center mobile app. The ROG Gaming Center fan overboost utility seems to only impact the GPU fan, going from ~2100 RPM to 2500 RPM in idle. The CPU fan tends to sometime go down to ~2500 RPM without any clear reason, but goes back up to the 7.8k lock after a couple of minutes.

I updated the BIOS - no effect
I reinstalled every ASUS software available including newest versions - no effect
Tried to keep it in battery mode for a longer period - no effect
Enabled a power plan with minimal settings and capped the processing power at 48% - no effect
Used different fan control software - no effect
Reinstalled nVidia drivers and removed GeForce Experience yesterday - went down to 2500 RPM and stayed there for a couple of hours, then out of nowhere went back to 7800 and hasn't gone down for a day now. The only thing that had an effect right after trying and held up through an extended period of time. Didn't change anything software wise since to exclude my tempering.

wwilcz wrote:
So has anyone found the solution that doesn't require to disassemble the laptop every month?

I've seen on this forum that it's either the CPU fan or the GPU fan that is giving trouble. In my case, it's the CPU one, going constantly at 7800 RPM regardless of settings - checked using the ROG Gaming Center mobile app. The ROG Gaming Center fan overboost utility seems to only impact the GPU fan, going from ~2100 RPM to 2500 RPM in idle. The CPU fan tends to sometime go down to ~2500 RPM without any clear reason, but goes back up to the 7.8k lock after a couple of minutes.

I updated the BIOS - no effect
I reinstalled every ASUS software available including newest versions - no effect
Tried to keep it in battery mode for a longer period - no effect
Enabled a power plan with minimal settings and capped the processing power at 48% - no effect
Used different fan control software - no effect
Reinstalled nVidia drivers and removed GeForce Experience yesterday - went down to 2500 RPM and stayed there for a couple of hours, then out of nowhere went back to 7800 and hasn't gone down for a day now. The only thing that had an effect right after trying and held up through an extended period of time. Didn't change anything software wise since to exclude my tempering.

I updated everything, nothing solved the problem. For months, I tried to find some "logic" about what triggers the problem, but I couldn't. The only thing that helps is unplugging the cables... too bad it lasts only for 1 month, but it is better than going crazy with the turbine sound in my ear 😞

Right now I'm in contact with the ASUS CEO (from USA) in the hope that he dig more into this problem and give a final solution.

Btw, in my case, it is the GPU fan that goes crazy.

If you are from USA (or at last bought your notebook there), I suggest that you contact the CEO using the following link. Who knows if more people speaks about the problem, ASUS will raise its priority: https://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/787