cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New workstation build won't POST

Eprevodilac
Level 7
So I'm helping a friend build a workstation PC that's gonna be used solely for work (i.e., never for gaming). That being as it was, we parted out and assembled it with no GPU, intending to just use onboard graphics - the parts list is as follows:

• Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
  • CPU: Ryzen R5 2600X (w/stock Wraith Spire cooler)
  • RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V (16gb@3000MHz)
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS series SSR-650FM

It's also got a Samsung 860 Pro and a 1TB WD Black HDD in it, as well as an Asus PCE-AC55BT wifi card.

When attempting to power it on, POST cycles a few times, then it always gets stuck and gives a white error light for a VGA error. I'm assuming it has something to do with the lack of a graphics card, but I have no idea how to go about fixing it.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
The 2600X does not have integrated graphics. So you'll probably need to pick up a cheap discrete GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Eprevodilac, for this motherboard the only Ryzen 7 series processors that are available that will feature integrated graphics are: 1700, 1700X, 1800X, 2700, 2700X and PRO 1700X. You can check Asuses website in the support database 🙂 Otherwise, as xeromist mentioned, buy a graphic's card.

AS185 wrote:
Eprevodilac, for this motherboard the only Ryzen 7 series processors that are available that will feature integrated graphics are: 1700, 1700X, 1800X, 2700, 2700X and PRO 1700X. You can check Asuses website in the support database 🙂 Otherwise, as xeromist mentioned, buy a graphic's card.

The above post is completely incorrect. None of those CPUs have integrated graphics. Only U model (mobile) and G model processors have integrated graphics.
X470-F, 2700X, 5700 XT Nitro+, 970 EVO, LanCool 2 Mesh Performance, H115i Pro, 16GB3000C14, TT650W Gold

Retired
Not applicable
Plan3tCrack3r wrote:
The above post is completely incorrect. None of those CPUs have integrated graphics. Only U model (mobile) and G model processors have integrated graphics.

Ok, so do you a valid source for everyone to share?

AS185 wrote:
Ok, so do you a valid source for everyone to share?

I don't know if AMD has a FAQ/product page that describes the different model number conventions. Probably somewhere but I'm not sure where.

However they do have the full list of CPUs with number of graphics cores listed. So if you go here you can select Ryzen and sort by GPU cores. Only G, H, U coded Ryzens currently have GPU cores.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/specifications/processors
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist, that's more like it. I was looking at the Asuses website and I guess it just display the compatible processor's however without integrated graphic's 🙂

AS185 wrote:
xeromist, that's more like it. I was looking at the Asuses website and I guess it just display the compatible processor's however without integrated graphic's 🙂

You weren't far off. Both the motherboard and CPU need to support graphics for it to work so what ASUS has to say on the matter is also important. I just prefer to go to the source (for Ryzen that's AMD) whenever possible.