cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL704GW underperforming with Destiny 2, plz help!

SaiST
Level 7
So I used to own a gl702vm, which had 16gb of ram, a gtx 1060 6gb, and a i7-6700HQ processor. At the time of purchase, it was a pretty beefy laptop that had its issues with thermal throttling, but nonetheless, I updated the BIOS, made holes on the bottom cover for improved cooling and I was getting about 70-80 fps on Destiny 2 (1080p) on High settings. This year I decided to get a GL704GW that came with 16gb of ram (single channel), an i7-8750H, and rtx 2070 and a pretty sleek monitor with a 144hz display at 3ms. Looks really good on paper, but since I've started to use it, I've had nothing but problems. When I play Destiny 2 on it, I pretty much get the same performance that my old laptop gave me, which is around 60-80 fps on the highest settings (1080p). I'm thinking that with this new GPU, I should be getting a constant 120fps on it, but that's not the case. Even when I dropped the game from highest to lowest settings, the FPS doesnt move at all. I updated the bios to version to 303, updated all the drivers and I'm still getting that poor performance. Should I just return it and get something else? Is there something I'm missing in settings?
9 REPLIES 9

odavl123
Level 7
Hello!

Im also owner of a GL704GW and this laptop dosent feel like top-end machine, even if it looks like it and costs like one xD.
TBH on my ScarII even browsing windows feels kinda slow/shuterry. Games that i run should all run on 144fps, but they just dont, could be that bios/drivers/all other cr.a.p arent optimized, who knows?
So no, you are not alone in this and i am taking my laptop back to the store and really think to change it, maybe even for a different mark.

Best regards

McCoy
Level 8
SaiST wrote:
So I used to own a gl702vm, which had 16gb of ram, a gtx 1060 6gb, and a i7-6700HQ processor. At the time of purchase, it was a pretty beefy laptop that had its issues with thermal throttling, but nonetheless, I updated the BIOS, made holes on the bottom cover for improved cooling and I was getting about 70-80 fps on Destiny 2 (1080p) on High settings. This year I decided to get a GL704GW that came with 16gb of ram (single channel), an i7-8750H, and rtx 2070 and a pretty sleek monitor with a 144hz display at 3ms. Looks really good on paper, but since I've started to use it, I've had nothing but problems. When I play Destiny 2 on it, I pretty much get the same performance that my old laptop gave me, which is around 60-80 fps on the highest settings (1080p). I'm thinking that with this new GPU, I should be getting a constant 120fps on it, but that's not the case. Even when I dropped the game from highest to lowest settings, the FPS doesnt move at all. I updated the bios to version to 303, updated all the drivers and I'm still getting that poor performance. Should I just return it and get something else? Is there something I'm missing in settings?

1. Check if you enabled Overboost
2. Check drivers
3. Analyze logs from HWInfo, GPU-Z - or provide it here, so I can help you.

Thank you

Have you monitored temperature? Try using hwbot and look at cpu temp (per core) and gpu temp. Just to rule anything out.

KhuloodF
Level 9
SaiST wrote:

This is really strange tbh, I have the exact same model and easily get 120+ FPS on games like Overwatch, and 90+ FPS with games like BF5 when they're set to their highest settings.

I have the GEForce Gaming experience that optimized those two games for me- maybe that's the difference? Other than that I haven't really messed with the graphics settings. In fact, I think I have my NVIDIA Card actually set to balanced mode instead of performance, which should make it even less powerful than it can be.

KhuloodF wrote:
This is really strange tbh, I have the exact same model and easily get 120+ FPS on games like Overwatch, and 90+ FPS with games like BF5 when they're set to their highest settings.

I have the GEForce Gaming experience that optimized those two games for me- maybe that's the difference? Other than that I haven't really messed with the graphics settings. In fact, I think I have my NVIDIA Card actually set to balanced mode instead of performance, which should make it even less powerful than it can be.

So it shuts down the same way even when I'm using my nvidia shield and geforce experience to remote play. I notice it doesnt happen when the laptop lid is open. I'm pretty sure its overheating because theres a few vents that become blocked when the lid is closed. I'm gonna try running in turbo mode and see if the high fan speeds help this problem.

mbushnaq00
Level 10
Your not getting the performance because the single channel memory is your bottleneck. I have the GL504GW and the moment I upgraded the memory to dual channel (32gb) I instanstly got 20 fps on majority of the games. Its like a night and day difference and I highly recommend to upgrade.

Do some research and you will find significant differences in performance betwen single and dual channel

mbushnaq00 wrote:
Your not getting the performance because the single channel memory is your bottleneck. I have the GL504GW and the moment I upgraded the memory to dual channel (32gb) I instanstly got 20 fps on majority of the games. Its like a night and day difference and I highly recommend to upgrade.

Do some research and you will find significant differences in performance betwen single and dual channel

I already have it in Dual Channel mode, I bought another 16gigs. The problem is when I try to play games on an external monitor or if I use my Nvidia Shield to remote play, as im playing, the computer just shuts down or enters a sleep mode. I think it's because it's overheating, but im not 100% sure if the vents that are covered when u close the lid cause it to overheat.

Hi- don't mean to steal your thread at all but I was wondering if you could tell me if upgrading with the additional 16 GB ram was worth the price? And what RAM stick did you use?

Was the performance different significant (I play most games on ultra/high settings).