cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bios issues and fan issues.

vcjester
Level 7
I have a Maximus XI Extreme Z390, matched with an I9-9900K, and bios is up to date. Two cores like to run hotter than the other cores, so I figured I'd try to OC the cores individually.

Ok. So I set cores 0 and 1 to a multiplier of 50. Then I move down to core 2, and set it at 47. Now cores 3 through 7 are stuck at 47, and I can't change those. 0 and 1 are still at 50...

Is this working as intended? I don't believe so.

Also, why have 4 separate fan headers for radiator 1 and 4 separate fan headers for radiator 2, if you can only control them as 2 individual groups? Part of my purchasing decision was that I thought the Extreme would allow me to set up a VERY custom fan curve for all of my radiator fans. I wasn't even going to run a fan, if I didn't need it. (Idle situation), and then only turn on individual fans as needed to keep the water temp where I want them....

Why won't Fan Xpert allow me to run my radiator fans down to 33%? They are Noctua fans, rated for 500 RPM to 1,500 RPM...

Lastly, we can pick the sensors we want to use to control fans, but for water cooling scenarios, we need to be able to use temp ranges that are fitting for water temperatures. You know, 20 C to 40 C (give or take)
5 REPLIES 5

Thingamajig
Level 7
I can't really help you but i sympathise with your frustration regarding fan controls. I don't know whats going on with manufacturers today but they seem hellbent on taking AWAY controls from end users, despite the fact knowing we can have some very complicated fan setups that demand full control - not some QFan/Smart AI fan Tuner crap they're attemping to ram down our throats.

Frankly i think alot of them are doing it to insure themselves from RMA's caused by heat damage. That or they're trying to appeal to the amateurs who are building their first rigs and don't grasp proper fan setup - in which case ASUS really aught to utilize another brand other than ROG to push this.

I've been building rigs for 15 years, and i've noticed we've had less and less control over settings since UEFI BIOS's become the standard, which honestly, i anticipated would be the case.

Thingamajig wrote:
I can't really help you but i sympathise with your frustration regarding fan controls. I don't know whats going on with manufacturers today but they seem hellbent on taking AWAY controls from end users, despite the fact knowing we can have some very complicated fan setups that demand full control - not some QFan/Smart AI fan Tuner crap they're attempting to ram down our throats.

Frankly i think alot of them are doing it to insure themselves from RMA's caused by heat damage. That or they're trying to appeal to the amateurs who are building their first rigs and don't grasp proper fan setup - in which case ASUS really aught to utilize another brand other than ROG to push this.

I've been building rigs for 15 years, and i've noticed we've had less and less control over settings since UEFI BIOS's become the standard, which honestly, i anticipated would be the case.

Thanks for helping me realize that improvements are probably not going to happen... Maybe the bios issue will get fixed eventually, but I suspect the Fan Xpert will just stay the way it is.. I mean, why change it, if they're still making money? They've got more important things to worry about, like how to make an Asus Keurig coffee machine, with RGB...

mdzcpa
Level 12
Did you run Fan Tuning under Fan Expert and then Enable Extreme Quiet? That lets me take my fans all the way down from stop to 20%

vcjester
Level 7
Yes, and that's when it restricted me to around 45% for some reason. I kind of made due, by just turning the fans off until my CPU hits 60 C. (I have a set of thermaltake fans set at a constant 33%, so I dont need the Noctuas until I'm using AVX) The thermaltake software has it's own issues, where I cant turn fans off at all, they only monitor CPU temps, and there is no custom profile. Anyhow, I'm making the best of what I've got. I would prefer to run the Noctuas, and only turn on the Thermaltakes when I'm doing serious work, but that ain't happening.

vcjester
Level 7
This post could have been split up into different sections of the forums, and it's basically just me letting out frustration.

1. Two cores that are hotter than the other 6, but I can't get per core overclocking to work properly. I just wanted to see if I could get a higher clock out of the good cores, while leaving the hot cores at a lower speed.

2. I had a complex custom fan curve all planned out, and needed all of those fan headers to make it work, but those fan headers are basically just 2 PWM controls, split into 2 groups of 4 radiator fans. So I basically paid a $200 premium to save $20 on fan splitter cables.

3. Frustrated because between the limitations of Fan Xpert, and Thermaltake's software, all of my fancy ideas for for custom fan profiles got thrown out the window.

4. (Completely unrelated to software) *me getting all giddy during my prebuild planning* Asus was the best of the best 15 years ago! This whole build is going to be Asus stuff, now that I can afford it! Got me an Asus motherboard... I'm going buy an Asus GPU with a premounted water block... *sound of screeching tires* Hold up! What is this trickery?!?! An air cooled GPU, that they took the fancy chemicals out of the heat pipes, added water and a pump, and then they call it liquid cooled? *scratches head* Who's idea was this? Why does this exist? How did they convince an engineer with training in thermal dynamics, physics and mechanical engineering, that this would be worthy of his time? It was marketing wasn't it? Someone in marketing convinced the CEO that this was a good idea, didn't they? *bows his head and lets out a long sigh* There goes my idea of having a water cooled Asus graphics card... Aftermarket block = no warranty. Matrix = WTF???