cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Drivers - A Quick Question

OctavioFF
Level 7
Hello. Wow it's difficult getting anybody to respond on this forum. At this point I just feel ignored.
With that I apologize if this is the incorrect place for this, however I don't think the question would be all that hard to answer. At least not for those who are knowledgeable about such things.

I previously tried to ask a question about the significance of an audio codec number code. I don't really understand the technical jargon, and many other sites just go on to reference these details without actually explaining what it means.

Currently trying to configure my audio setup on my Scar II Laptop. Windows 10, Realtek drivers etc.
So my question is - what is the significance of the different audio codec numbers, and does it affect which Realtek drivers are compatible?

My laptop's default Realtek driver, listed in the registry (as installed automatically by windows) reads like this;
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0294&SUBSYS_10431251&REV1000

I want to remove this default driver and install a different one, except the alternate driver relates to ALC892, not ALC294.
I've already had to do a fresh re-install of Windows 10 because my previous attempts to "upgrade" the driver resulted in my headphones no longer playing sound, even though the internal speakers continued normally.

So yeah, audio codecs, what's their function?

*Someone please please respond. I'm waiting for a hero, surely someone here fits that description...
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Guitarmageddon1
Level 9
OctavioFF wrote:
Hello. Wow it's difficult getting anybody to respond on this forum. At this point I just feel ignored.
With that I apologize if this is the incorrect place for this, however I don't think the question would be all that hard to answer. At least not for those who are knowledgeable about such things.

I previously tried to ask a question about the significance of an audio codec number code. I don't really understand the technical jargon, and many other sites just go on to reference these details without actually explaining what it means.

Currently trying to configure my audio setup on my Scar II Laptop. Windows 10, Realtek drivers etc.
So my question is - what is the significance of the different audio codec numbers, and does it affect which Realtek drivers are compatible?

My laptop's default Realtek driver, listed in the registry (as installed automatically by windows) reads like this;
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0294&SUBSYS_10431251&REV1000

I want to remove this default driver and install a different one, except the alternate driver relates to ALC892, not ALC294.
I've already had to do a fresh re-install of Windows 10 because my previous attempts to "upgrade" the driver resulted in my headphones no longer playing sound, even though the internal speakers continued normally.

So yeah, audio codecs, what's their function?

*Someone please please respond. I'm waiting for a hero, surely someone here fits that description...
Thanks.

Hello I linked you in the other thread that may have some beneficial sources of info. There are some folks on station drivers that can take exactly the info you quoted and give a good suggestion.

Also, I didn't mention in the other post but here is good info with some explanations too. I'm not an expert but I think you should be able to use HDA FF00 version with no issue in my best guess. I'm not sure about the hardware support for nahimic etc in your case.

https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/5993-latest-realtek-hd-audio-driver-version-144.html

Sorry about the frustration. The asus driver support does seem quite "indirect" or "unofficial" but there are definitely helpful members here. I have experienced my own frustration with drivers too for sure. Let me know here if you get an answer because I'm curious on the specifics too.

Edit:
There are also great resources on notebook review forum a lot smarter than I. Hopefully these links can ease the frustration.
http://forum.notebookreview.com/forums/asus.19/

Another thing too is if you ever get in a situation where you botch the driver or something just doesn't work for you, you can clean it all out with the steps for "clean install" in the first post of the audio driver threads. Then you will at least get generic windows sound to get you through for the time being. Shouldn't have to go through the nightmare of a clean windows install. Another good idea may be that when you eventually get things restored to where you want, definitely take a system image for safe keeping to reload later on so you don't have to waste so much time on a clean install.

Edit: have you tried the version they just uploaded to the support page for your laptop? Shows 3-7-19
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Also stumbled on this which may answer your question. Looks like for HDA the choice is also FF00 or FF03 for nahimic
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/125936-determine-hda-realtek-driver-needed-your-audio.html

Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
Another thing too is if you ever get in a situation where you botch the driver or something just doesn't work for you, you can clean it all out with the steps for "clean install" in the first post of the audio driver threads. Then you will at least get generic windows sound to get you through for the time being. Shouldn't have to go through the nightmare of a clean windows install. Another good idea may be that when you eventually get things restored to where you want, definitely take a system image for safe keeping to reload later on so you don't have to waste so much time on a clean install.

Edit: have you tried the version they just uploaded to the support page for your laptop? Shows 3-7-19
https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-Strix-SCAR-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Also stumbled on this which may answer your question. Looks like for HDA the choice is also FF00 or FF03 for nahimic
https://www.tenforums.com/sound-audio/125936-determine-hda-realtek-driver-needed-your-audio.html

I sincerely appreciate your reply Guitarmageddon888. I will look into your suggestions and keep you informed on how I get on.
You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that helpful and generous people like you care enough to respond, even if not to directly answer my original question. It felt like I was speaking into some empty void on this forum.
My very kind regards and many thanks.