cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus apex ix - no display and no power

MattLob
Level 7
Hi folks,
If you read my last post.. I recently got another eps connector for my motherboard because I believed my motherboard was not receiving enough power to power the cpu. I believed this because there is no display showing and I have tried troubleshooting everything. Anyways... I plugged the connector in and click the power button and nothing happens. Its like the power supply isn't even plugged in. The motherboards lights are on but the led screen is not because the pc can't even turn on at this point. Could this be because I am a cheapskate and chose such an awful psu for these higher end parts? I got the CORSAIR CX650M. If anyone could help me out before I go and purchase a new higher end psu tomorrow, it would be much appreciated.

P.S. The pc did it start up once when I powered it for the first time and after I installed windows I shut it down for 3 days (unplugged the whole time) *and went to power it up again there was no display which leads me to the statement above.*

Thanks!
Matt*

MOTHERBOARD - ASUS MAXIMUS IX APEX
CPU - I7-7700k
Ram - RIPJAWS DDR4 3200mhz
PSU - CORSAIR CX650M
6 REPLIES 6

1mluer
Level 11
Usually a bad or missing cpu I have found in the past. I just replaced an apex ix.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

1mluer wrote:
Usually a bad or missing cpu I have found in the past. I just replaced an apex ix.

To be honest I don't think its the cpu. Its 6 months old and has never been overclocked and would be weird just to give out randomly like that. Also there is no post beeping. Wouldn't a cpu give you signs of failing before it just randomly craps out after being used for 1 hour in a fresh build.

1mluer
Level 11
No not really. If you pulled your cpu and tried to start up your system you get nothing at all. the board stays dark and nothing starts.. I hope it's not that because that would be worst case.
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!

jab383
Level 13
So, I understand that you are getting standby power that lights the buttons and a few other LEDs. That usually indicates that the PSU is at least trying - no blown fuse.

The 2-digit POST display would read 00 for most CPU failures. When that display stays dark, power is not coming from the PSU, but it might not be the PSUs fault. Any short circuit could put the PSU into current limiting.

The next step is to remove storage components, video card and RAM one thing at a time. If the malfunction clears up, the one thing you removed is the likely cause.

Another test would be: With the PSU switched off, remove the CPU from its socket. Then switch on the PSU - the same LEDs as before should light up on standby power. Press the START button. A 00 POST code would correctly say that there is no CPU, but that's bad because the CPU was causing the problem.

Is the motherboard in a case? If so, the next step would be to remove the motherboard from the case and set it on the black inner box of the ASUS packaging - that's a good anti-static device for out-of-the-case testing. Look for anything that got under the motherboard and caused a short. With the CPU in and all other components disconnedted from mobo and power, connect 24- and 8-pin PSU cables and try to power on. BIOS POST progress up to memory steps would show correct operation. Correct operation outside the case means you are still looking for short circuits in the case, mobo mount or other components. Reinstall the RAM, reconnect the storage, reinstall the VGA, and try to power on -- all one at a time. If the malfunction returns at any point, you can tell which component caused it if the installations are done one at a time.

Swapping the PSU would be the next step. Since you're considering a new PSU ayway, this step might come earlier for you. If the malfunction continues with another PSU, its down to the CPU and/or motherboard. To tell which, you'd have to replace one or the other. The CPU might have failed to a short circuit which would overstress the motherboard VRM, so it might be both. I've had that happen on a M9A - the magic smoke got out of a VRM phase and the big brown scorch saved me the need to troubleshoot.

jab383 wrote:
So, I understand that you are getting standby power that lights the buttons and a few other LEDs. That usually indicates that the PSU is at least trying - no blown fuse.

The 2-digit POST display would read 00 for most CPU failures. When that display stays dark, power is not coming from the PSU, but it might not be the PSUs fault. Any short circuit could put the PSU into current limiting.

The next step is to remove storage components, video card and RAM one thing at a time. If the malfunction clears up, the one thing you removed is the likely cause.

Another test would be: With the PSU switched off, remove the CPU from its socket. Then switch on the PSU - the same LEDs as before should light up on standby power. Press the START button. A 00 POST code would correctly say that there is no CPU, but that's bad because the CPU was causing the problem.

Is the motherboard in a case? If so, the next step would be to remove the motherboard from the case and set it on the black inner box of the ASUS packaging - that's a good anti-static device for out-of-the-case testing. Look for anything that got under the motherboard and caused a short. With the CPU in and all other components disconnedted from mobo and power, connect 24- and 8-pin PSU cables and try to power on. BIOS POST progress up to memory steps would show correct operation. Correct operation outside the case means you are still looking for short circuits in the case, mobo mount or other components. Reinstall the RAM, reconnect the storage, reinstall the VGA, and try to power on -- all one at a time. If the malfunction returns at any point, you can tell which component caused it if the installations are done one at a time.

Swapping the PSU would be the next step. Since you're considering a new PSU ayway, this step might come earlier for you. If the malfunction continues with another PSU, its down to the CPU and/or motherboard. To tell which, you'd have to replace one or the other. The CPU might have failed to a short circuit which would overstress the motherboard VRM, so it might be both. I've had that happen on a M9A - the magic smoke got out of a VRM phase and the big brown scorch saved me the need to troubleshoot.

Thank you for the advice. I watched a video on YouTube with the guy who had the same problem and it ended up being the motherboard. I took out all the components, Ram, hard drives, etc and still received the 00. What he said is that if the ram is not in there the motherboard should show the code for having no ram. If it doesn’t then it’s most likely the motherboard. I’m gonna order a new motherboard and I believe that should fix it. I’m also going to try removing the cpu and clicking the start like you stated. But thinking about that, it probably won’t show the led numbers because there is no cpu so the power button won’t work to see *

MattLob wrote:
Thank you for the advice. I watched a video on YouTube with the guy who had the same problem and it ended up being the motherboard. I took out all the components, Ram, hard drives, etc and still received the 00. What he said is that if the ram is not in there the motherboard should show the code for having no ram. If it doesn’t then it’s most likely the motherboard. I’m gonna order a new motherboard and I believe that should fix it. I’m also going to try removing the cpu and clicking the start like you stated. But thinking about that, it probably won’t show the led numbers because there is no cpu so the power button won’t work to see *

Probably the CPU socket ? I did this to one of my older machines by accident. dropped a screw driver right on the CPU socket when I had the CPU out. . I spent hours trying to straighten it out and got everything you got in the way of symptoms. I replaced the MB and back up. When you didn't mention doing anything with the CPU it said to me bad CPU or in this case most likely CPU socket. Sounds like you got it..
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti

ROG Awesomeness !!!!