cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

970 EVO Massively Underperforming, causing windows issues

LoneWolfV
Level 7
TLDR; 970 evo with fresh install causing windows to be slow and crash randomly. Want to know if there are certain setting I need to apply in BIOS for the drive to run at its advertised, or at least closer to, its advertised speeds.

Hi, I recently did a fresh install of windows on a 500 GB 970 Evo. However, the drive is getting 230-270 MB/s reads and 200-230 MB/s writes.

It has resulted in windows being massively slow. As in its struggles to run league of legends or discord and a few tabs of chrome. Opening and browsing file explorer also seems to be a challenge. Parts list is as follows

Motherboard - Z370-E
Processor - i5 8600k
Memory (part number) - CMK16GX4M2B3000C15
Graphics Card #1 - Gigabyte GeForceGTX 1070 Ti Gaming 8G
Monitor - Asus MG248Q / Acer K272HUL
Storage #1 - 970 Evo NVME
Storage #2 - Sandisk 500 gb SSD
CPU Cooler - Deepcool Captain 240 EX
Case - Bitfenix Aurora
Power Supply -EVGA 750W G2

All peripherals are corsair branded (K70, darkcore and void pro).

Additionally I have an OC applied at the moment which allows the system to be in a semi usable state. Removing the OC and setting everything to stock resulted in the massive performance loss described above. OC Settings are below

XMP Enabled
BCLK Freq is 100
MultiCore enhancement is disabled
SVID Behavior - Worst case
AVX - 0
Sync All Cores/ Ratio set to 45
DDR4 is set to 3000Mhz
CPU SVID support is disabled
Core/Cache current is maxed. Cache ratios set to auto
Voltage is at 1.3V with Adaptive disabled and manual mode set.
All other voltages other than DRAM set to auto (DRAM was set via XMP)
LLC set to level 5
5 REPLIES 5

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Is it a brand new 970 EVO or has it been running for a while with a large TBW? My 850 had the same problem and i did a bios secure erase. Brought the speeds right back up.

Some random things I can think of:

-What % full is it?
-What pcie mode does magician indicate it's running?
-Is it in the correct motherboard slot? Not experienced directly with that board
-Are you on the latest firmware?
-latest Samsung driver or windows driver? Samsung driver I want to say is 3.1 but don't quote me on that
-Is your intel MEI driver up to date?

Guitarmageddon888 wrote:
Some random things I can think of:

-What % full is it?
-What pcie mode does magician indicate it's running?
-Is it in the correct motherboard slot? Not experienced directly with that board
-Are you on the latest firmware?
-latest Samsung driver or windows driver? Samsung driver I want to say is 3.1 but don't quote me on that
-Is your intel MEI driver up to date?

Magician screenshot attached. I installed the samsung nvme driver already.

As for the motherboard slot, I'm almost positive its in the correct slot. The mobo manual and videos online show putting it in the slot with the M.2 heatsink.

As for MEI driver, I'm not sure. I'll do some research and manually check my driver with whats on intel's website.

Ch3vr0n wrote:
Is it a brand new 970 EVO or has it been running for a while with a large TBW? My 850 had the same problem and i did a bios secure erase. Brought the speeds right back up.

Brand new, 2 weeks old outta the box.

Telstar
Level 9
TLC SSD need to be kept half only half or the performance degrades. And they are not ideal for OS disks. 970 pro or Optane would have been superior choices.
BTW I think you have some chipset driver issue as well.