cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus X Hero with 8700k 5Ghz OC 90 Degrees Celsius after Firmware V 1801

EmJay
Level 7
Hello,

I upgraded my BIOS to Version 1801. I safed my BIOS Profiles to a USB FAT32 USB Stick but after the BIOS Update the motherboard fails to load them.
So i figured out i lost my stress tested 5Ghz OC.
Before the BIOS update i had prime95 stresstested system (Custom Min FFT = Max FFT = 1344; Run FFTs in PLace) that peaked at around 80-85 degrees with average of around 78-79 Celsius with 5Ghz OC no Offset. Im using a Kraken NZXT X62 Watercooler.
After the BIOS Update to Version 1801 and some of the BIOS settings i pulled from my memory i peak at 95 Celsius and my Average is at 82 degrees.

These are my settings i got from Memory:

VCORE -> 1.35
Core Ratio -> All Cores Synced
1-core ratio -> 50
Offset -> 0
CPU Core Cache -> 255.75
Load Line Calibration -> 6
CPU Current Capacility -> 140%
CPU SVID -> disabled
Min CPU Cache Ratio -> 42
Max CPU Cache Ratio -> 42
CPU VCCIO Voltage 1.2
System Agent Voltage 1.2
Long Duration Package Power Limit -> 4095
Short Duration Package Power Limit -> 4095
Intel Speed Shift Technology -> Disabled

Im wondering if i miss some settings that lower my temps would appreciate any tips.
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello Emjay

It's normal for your OC Profiles to be erased after a bios update.

First thing I'd check is the cpu core/cache voltage is not set to auto and you've applied 1.35v.

If I could get you to start over with ROG Realbench, you may achieve a higher overclock as it's much lighter on your cpu while still putting 100% load on it.

Click "Download RealBench" and give it a try.

https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/

EmJay
Level 7
Yes, i used 1.35 V. I cant use RealBench as i have no comparison for my old stable system in RealBench. I had the temps and clocks where i wanted them to be with prime. I dont know what im doing wrong or what im missing in my settings is it possible that the BIOS version makes the core run hotter?

Nate152

EmJay
Level 7
Is there any way to tell from the old BIOS .CMO files which BIOS version i had before? Because i cant remember anymore.

Nate152
There are 7 versions before 1801 so unfortunately I won't be of much help, you could start with the earliest version 0802 and see how it goes from there.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

EmJay
Level 7
Okay i guess i need to try out from the start then still thank you.

EmJay
Level 7
Edit: Solved it with USB Flashback and the button at the back of the motherboard. Temps are back on track again. Thanks for the support!

Im having major trouble downgrading my bios. Via EzFlash in BIOS it says "Selected file is not a proper BIOS!"

- Its the same USB FAT32 USB Stick i used to upgrade to the BIOS Version 1801
- Im Using BIOS 1003 as i figured this is the version i had before with acceptable core temps
- I made sure i didnt confused the file .CAP with the wifi version of the board
- I also tried to rename the FILE to M10H.CAP like described in the manual also doesnt work.
- I extracted the .CAP file directly into my USB Stick from downloads although this should not be relevant i followed the steps here:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101575-EZ-Flash-not-working
- EZFlash via Internet (DHCP) does not work it says i have the latest version but i dont want the latest version...

Is the EZ Flash not working?
Do i have any chance of getting back to BIOS Version 1003 from 1801 ?

I hope i didnt brick my motherboard now with BIOS 1801.

I would appreciate support.

Edit: Funny enough i found my old FAT32 formated USB stick that i once used to upgrade to BIOS 1003. The File was still on the USB stick nothing changed since then and it still doesnt work. I think this is proof that EZFlash is not working as intended.