cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9900K OC help pls

hiddeNoNe90
Level 7
Hey guys. I am really new at OC I need some advice and tips.

my setup is the next:
CPU:9900k
VGA: GTX1080TI
RAM: DDR4 3600mhz 16 GB
board: Rog strix z390 F-gaming
cpu cooler: Noctua u-14s
psu: seasonic 750w platinum

I would like to OC my CPU to 5ghz in a safe way. I tried it with a video (youtube) like 2 days ago but it was not stable if I had a stress stest and gave me Blue screen errors. (kernel) I think heat could not be a problem ( I checked with HW monitor) but im looking forward your replies.
Thank you so much for the help.
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
Air cooling is always the limitation, and more so with higher core count. 5GHz may be too high a target. The real culprit is core voltage - heat rises with voltage squared at constant clock speed. First try to reduce voltage to see if heat-induced blue screens stop and/or temperatures come down. It would be good to have stress test temperature under 80C.

I suggest trying 4.5 - 4.6 GHz with lower core voltage. Adjust voltage in .02 volt steps -- up if unstable or down to find the lowest voltage that works when it is stable. Save a profile that works, then try the next higher multiplier and adjust voltage as before. Rinse and repeat until you find a good clock/voltage profile. Watch that temperature, and don't use a setting that goes over 80C.

Keep a 2 or 3x multiplier setback for AVX instructions set in BIOS. Clock will be lower in parts of the test that use AVX, but that's better than a huge temperature spike that happens otherwise. The setback lets non-AVX software run at higher speed at the same core volts.

HisEvilness
Level 7
BSOD usually means your overclock is almost stable since it did actually boot but fails under load so you will need more vcore to be stable.
And consider a closed loop cooler it will greatly help your overclock and the 9900k is churning out a massive amount of heat, the main reason i went for the 8086k over the 9900k. Temps should be your main concern when overclocking and keep that 24/7 overclock going. mid 80's C under load should be what your aiming for and 30 to 40 c while idle/browsing etc.