cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asmedia USB 3.1 driver issues DRIVING ME INSANE!!! M5A99FX PRO R2.0 WIndows 7prox64

evenkeel
Level 7
I would greatly appreciate some insight on how to get my (4) Asmedia USB 3.1 Gen 1ports to recognize USB 3.1 external hard drives. Here's the problem...they recognize/load flash drives and USB 2.0 external hard drives, but they fail to load anything USB 3.0/3.1 that they were designed for.

I've spent 2 days researching this, uninstalling and reinstalling using various USB Controller drivers from many sources (including station-drivers) and nothing has worked! The drivers on the ASUS support page fail every time when it comes to loading anything USB 3.1 through these ports. (https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/usb30/Asmedia_USB3_XPVistaWin7-8-81_VER116120.zip)

Specifically, they fail to load my brand new Samsung T5 external drive and also fails with the WD MyPassport, both are 1TB in size.
Nothing shows up in Disk Management either. Everything looks good in the BIOS, the same external drives work fine in all the USB 2.0 ports.
How can they work just fine with USB 2.0 devices but not 3.0/3.1 devices?

I'm at wits end.
1 REPLY 1

evenkeel
Level 7
I think it may have been my own stupidity here, the Samsung T5 is compatible with USB 3.1 Gen2 and my ports are 3.1 Gen1 so it looks like I'll need an add-on PCIe - USB 3.1 Gen2 card to make it work.