cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix Z390-F instability & QVL memory not working on XMP

SirHanselot
Level 7
Hi everyone!

I have serious problems to get my build running stable. I've seen that adjusting voltages might help. I have not really any knowledge in that field and I'm afraid I could damage somithing.
First here is my build:

• Windows 10
  • i9-9900k
  • Gskill F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR memory, 4x8GB
  • MSI RTX 2080 Ventus
  • BIOS 0602

Drives:

• Samsung M2 SSD 970 Pro
  • Samsung SSD 850 PRO
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO
  • Legacy HDD
  • BlueRay Player

As I turned the system on for the first time, it resulted in several reboots before it failed to BIOS. In the BIOS I set all to default, as there was no way to get the RAM running with the XMP profile, which now runs at 2133MHz. The system boots with that. I tested the RAM in memtest86+, no errors at all.

I did some stress tests in Windows and as I closed them all of the sudden I got a bluescreen. Restarted the PC, did serveral things (nothing special) and after about 10 minutes another bluescreen. I read in different threads increasing the voltage might be helpful. As I have no idea what to change exactly, I thought enabling AI overclock might do some stuff with the voltage. I enabled it and yeah it helped. I started youtube, steam and other things parallel and the PC ran through the whole night. Played BF5, Witcher 3, DOOM the day after for a several hours and had no crashes.

I thought that did the trick, but today I started the PC, immediately started DOOM -> bluescreen.
I tried it again: boot -> immediately start DOOM -> bluescreen!
Third try: boot -> do some "warm up" staff (starting different small programs) -> start DOOM -> works like a charm.

So I have two questions:
-Is my Strix a monday product and should it be replaced?
-If no, is there any way to get this thing running stable and also the RAM at it's intended speed (3600 MHz)?

As appendix I uploaded an image of my voltages

I would really appreciate any help and thx in advance!
17 REPLIES 17

leerock360
Level 7
Set the dram voltage to 1.35 volts and select your xmp profile to run at 3600

Resetted the BIOS to optimized defaults and set the voltage to 1.35V and tried both (XMP1, XMP2), neither boots. The PC restarts several times and then stops with the message :"The system has POSTed in safe mode."

Phillyflyer
Level 10
SirHanselot wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have serious problems to get my build running stable. I've seen that adjusting voltages might help. I have not really any knowledge in that field and I'm afraid I could damage somithing.
First here is my build:

• Windows 10
  • i9-9900k
  • Gskill F4-3600C17Q-32GTZR memory, 4x8GB
  • MSI RTX 2080 Ventus
  • BIOS 0602

Drives:

• Samsung M2 SSD 970 Pro
  • Samsung SSD 850 PRO
  • Samsung SSD 850 EVO
  • Legacy HDD
  • BlueRay Player

As I turned the system on for the first time, it resulted in several reboots before it failed to BIOS. In the BIOS I set all to default, as there was no way to get the RAM running with the XMP profile, which now runs at 2133MHz. The system boots with that. I tested the RAM in memtest86+, no errors at all.

I did some stress tests in Windows and as I closed them all of the sudden I got a bluescreen. Restarted the PC, did serveral things (nothing special) and after about 10 minutes another bluescreen. I read in different threads increasing the voltage might be helpful. As I have no idea what to change exactly, I thought enabling AI overclock might do some stuff with the voltage. I enabled it and yeah it helped. I started youtube, steam and other things parallel and the PC ran through the whole night. Played BF5, Witcher 3, DOOM the day after for a several hours and had no crashes.

I thought that did the trick, but today I started the PC, immediately started DOOM -> bluescreen.
I tried it again: boot -> immediately start DOOM -> bluescreen!
Third try: boot -> do some "warm up" staff (starting different small programs) -> start DOOM -> works like a charm.

So I have two questions:
-Is my Strix a monday product and should it be replaced?
-If no, is there any way to get this thing running stable and also the RAM at it's intended speed (3600 MHz)?

As appendix I uploaded an image of my voltages

I would really appreciate any help and thx in advance!

Set XMP Profile 1 ...make sure dram voltages is set to 1.35v and not auto....set both IO and SA voltages @ 1.20v rather than auto.
Asus ROG Maximus XI EXTREME
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
XSPC RX360 Rad (6)Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 RPM Fans In Push/Pull @ 1500 RPMS
Swiftech Drive II / Swiftech MCP35X Pump
Enermax Platimax 1200 Watt Power Supply
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
MSI GTX 1070 SEA HAWK EK X SLI WITH ASUS HB RGB
(5)Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB In Raid 0
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Just in case i would make a mistake. IO is CPU VCCIO Voltage and SA is System Agent Voltage, is that correct?

I tried XMP 1 & 2, each time setting IO & SA to 1.2V still fails to boot.

Has anyone an idea why the system only works rather stable with AI optimization selected?

SirHanselot wrote:
Just in case i would make a mistake. IO is CPU VCCIO Voltage and SA is System Agent Voltage, is that correct?

I tried XMP 1 & 2, each time setting IO & SA to 1.2V still fails to boot.

Try manually setting memory rather than XMP....
Set ...dram voltage to 1.35v...dram frequency to 3600 mhz..set dram timings to 17-18-18-38 - 2N...set IO and SA voltages to 1.20v ....see if this helps.
Intel i7 9900K OC'D @ 5.2 GHZ @ 1.345V (1.296V LOAD) LLC 6 PRIME 95 STABLE 8 HRS
32GB G.Skill F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 3866 MHZ CL18 1.35V (OC 4266MHZ 17-18-18-41-2T @1.45V)
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D

Some quick info because I have extensively tested the Z390-F, esp. regarding memory overclocking.
Just set everything manually and disable all that AI-stuff. The board works far better than I had thought overall. 2 DIMM configurations go up to about 4050 for me (at 1.45v for my 3200 specced B-Die), 4 DIMM probably a few hundreds more. CPU oc also absolutely fine, just set VRM switching freq to 500KHz. And don't use more than LLC6, better LLC5.

I know, not very helpful comment, but just to let you know. There might be Monday-products however, I don't know.

Phillyflyer wrote:
Try manually setting memory rather than XMP....
Set ...dram voltage to 1.35v...dram frequency to 3600 mhz..set dram timings to 17-18-18-38 - 2N...set IO and SA voltages to 1.20v ....see if this helps.

Doesn't help either. Tried dram voltage up to 1.4v, sadly not success. Also tried LLC up to 6 like vvoid suggested, nope.

Should I do a BIOS update? But I read on the forum that this makes memory stability only worse 😕

SirHanselot wrote:
Doesn't help either. Tried dram voltage up to 1.4v, sadly not success. Also tried LLC up to 6 like vvoid suggested, nope.

Should I do a BIOS update? But I read on the forum that this makes memory stability only worse 😕

Try updating to latest bios and apply manual settings as suggested...u have nothing to lose at this point...
Have u removed the chip from board to inspect socket for possible bent pins ?
(2) WD 1TB Black Edition
Corsair 900 D