Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Multiple problems with G74S

    Hi everybody,
    First of all I'm french so please forgive the mistakes in my englsih!

    I recently bought a G74S, and I'm going through a lot of issues with it.
    First (but solved) the numeric pad wasn't working, solved it with bios update...
    Now here are the several issues I have:
    #1 : Can't stop the touchpad, watever I do, and due to its poor location, typing is really hard because of random clicking !
    #2 : Can't install audio drivers, otherwise I do not have optical output.
    #3 : While typing, sometimes letters are not written (maybe hardware or poor quality keyboard, the question is do you feel the same?)
    #4 : (windows related), when I go to "battery saving" mode, the taskbar (not sure of the name, btw the bar at the botom with the windows sign) goes to "hide automatically", is there a way for it not to happen and to go back to "always visible" when back to "performance mode"....

    So if you have any solution I'll be thankful !

    Thanks, bye !

    Edit :
    Most of the problems were solved going to factory configuration.
    Problem #4 remains, but i'll do with that...
    Last edited by PEagle; 04-22-2012 at 02:25 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array PILGRIM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    763

    Hi, PEagle.

    For the Forum members to better understand your issues, it might be good if you
    post the drivers you currently use..

    #1 and #3: Do you use Synaptics or Sentelic (or any other)? What driver version, if any?
    What version of the ATK Package you currently have?..

    #2: Do you mean even the Realtek Audio driver can't be installed?
    "No optical output" means no visuals if you connect an external monitor?

    #4: I'm puzzled on why the taskbar is affected by changing any of the Power Options.
    Anyway, the obvious way of making the taskbar to be always visible is to right-click it,
    and to un-tick the "Auto-hide the taskbar" if its ticked.

    EDIT: For Driver updates for your #1-3 issues, download from here:
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...s-and-How-to-s
    Last edited by PILGRIM; 02-18-2012 at 05:45 PM.
    ASUS G74SX-3DE

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    31
    Posts
    2,916

    1. If you are using a Sentelic touchpad, the driver has options to accommodate inadvertent touching while typing. The approach varies depending on what driver you're using, so open the configuration utility and find those settings. IF it's a reactivation time method, increase the time.....if it's the reactivation area on the TP, change that to better suit your typing style. I'm sure the Synaptics driver has a similar function, though I'm not familiar with the method it uses.
      ------
    2. You need to clarify which audio drivers you mean. There are two....the nVidia audio drivers (included in the nVidia graphics driver package) are needed for HDMI out, whiie the Reatek driver is used (but not usually "needed") for other audio output.
      ------
    3. Yes...it's a poor quality keyboard. If updating the BIOS and ATK package (v1.0.0014) don't resolve it, it's likely a hardware issue. Unfortunately, this is all too common with these models.
      -----
    4. I've never noticed it in advanced settings, but it sounds like battery saving mode is engaging certain visual performance settings. I would think PILGRIM's suggestion should resolved it. But if not, go into the advanced system settings and try setting it to "adjust best appearance".

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    The touchpad has a synaptic drivers, however it is the keybord shorcut that does not work (fn+F9), i'll try to seek in the options to find another way to do that!

    For the audio driver, I talk about the Realtek to use the "red light" output to use a 5.1 Tritton headset...

    For the keybord, I have updated it, and it does not solve my problem, so I guess it is hardware (I'm kind of disapointed about that)!

    About the taskbar, everytime I go to battery saving, I untick the "auto-hide" box... It really changes the appearance of my computer, I wanted to change the one that is loaded everytime I go to battery saving !


    Tanks for the help anyway !

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Symho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by PEagle View Post
    The touchpad has a synaptic drivers, however it is the keybord shorcut that does not work (fn+F9), i'll try to seek in the options to find another way to do that!

    For the audio driver, I talk about the Realtek to use the "red light" output to use a 5.1 Tritton headset...

    For the keybord, I have updated it, and it does not solve my problem, so I guess it is hardware (I'm kind of disapointed about that)!

    About the taskbar, everytime I go to battery saving, I untick the "auto-hide" box... It really changes the appearance of my computer, I wanted to change the one that is loaded everytime I go to battery saving !


    Tanks for the help anyway !
    Hi PEagle,

    I bought my g74 last november 2011, and i have the same problems, also i heard a popping sound to the speakers, so i have changed my TZ056V with a TZ206V, but sometime the key "canc" don't responde but with use improves, when i work with g74 i advice this. The very problem is the update of the drivers Asus certified, Asus not support the customers in this and for me is unacceptable also the software cineplayer, creative and others are very poor. For 1.200,00 € the product is balanced but it is not magnificent.

    P.s. sorry for my poor english!
    Last edited by Symho; 02-19-2012 at 07:25 PM. Reason: correction

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    While I greatly enjoy my G74SX, it certainly does have some "personality". Specifically, some of the issues you are having are very common ones. How I deal with mine:
    1. touchpad - I did completely disable it at one point, and then promptly forgot my G700 mouse at work one day. If you check the box for disabling the touchpad while USB mouse attached, but it is still enabling the touchpad, I simply unplug/plug-in my USB mouse (the wireless receiver in my case) and the touchpad disables again. You might try the keyboard touchpad disable with that box checked, although I've only ad that work sporadically.
    2. I have not had any problems installing the correct drivers. Some of the hardware is slightly different, so make sure you know precisely what hardware is in the machine. Something like Belarc Advisor can be invaluable for this.
    3. My first thought would be that this issue is from having the "disable touchpad while typing" box checkd. Perhaps adjusting the timing for re-enabling the touchpad (or disabling the touchpad entirely). Asus, please, for the love of all that's good in the world, give us a reliable method for disabling the touchpad!
    4. I believe this to be a Windows theme issue in your profile. I've not done workstation support outside of my own for many years, so am totally not the person when it comes to adjusting Windows 7, but right-clicking the desktop and going to "Personalize" should put you in the right area to adjust this.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Thanks for all your advices and sorry for this long time away...

    I've tried the Belarc advisor, and in the audio (multimedia) it gives me that :
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4x)
    Realtek High Definition Audio

    Which is exactly what I have in windows' stuff

    The Realtek driver that I have is the one from Asus support, it gives me a digital output but my Tritton does only recognize it as a "Pro logic" device and not a "Dolby digital" as it should be...

    For the moment I am focusing on that problem, the other are not a big of a deal...

    If you have any other advice, I'll be waiting and checking for answers somewhere here !

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Symho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by PEagle View Post
    Thanks for all your advices and sorry for this long time away...

    I've tried the Belarc advisor, and in the audio (multimedia) it gives me that :
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio (4x)
    Realtek High Definition Audio

    Which is exactly what I have in windows' stuff

    The Realtek driver that I have is the one from Asus support, it gives me a digital output but my Tritton does only recognize it as a "Pro logic" device and not a "Dolby digital" as it should be...

    For the moment I am focusing on that problem, the other are not a big of a deal...

    If you have any other advice, I'll be waiting and checking for answers somewhere here !
    The audio output of my G74Sx is THX certified, it is impossible you can output with a dolby signal...

    However ASUS has update some drivers and software, GOOD, here the last driver video! Good gaming!
    ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    I do not understand what you are saying... on my "converter box" that goes from digital audio output to the headset are 2 dots :
    Digital -> true surround with all effects
    Pro logic -> the "box" calculates how to make it sound like a surround...

    With a 5.1 audio output I shall have the digital one and not the Pro logic (which was the case until I tried to install the latest Realtek drivers, now I have none)...

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Symho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    341

    Quote Originally Posted by PEagle View Post
    I do not understand what you are saying... on my "converter box" that goes from digital audio output to the headset are 2 dots :
    Digital -> true surround with all effects
    Pro logic -> the "box" calculates how to make it sound like a surround...

    With a 5.1 audio output I shall have the digital one and not the Pro logic (which was the case until I tried to install the latest Realtek drivers, now I have none)...
    The audio output from G74Sx is not Dolby native signal, your converter convert the signal in Pro Logic Sound.
    ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •