Achaios
Level 7
System specs:
Maximus VI Hero
1 x GTX 1080
2X8 GB GSKILL Ares 2400 MHz
Silverstone Strider Gold 850W (PSU)
Assorted fans, hdd's, ssd's.

BACKGROUND: My system has been working perfectly since 2013. I only did mild OC's, never exceeded 1.30V VCore. System worked mostly at stock as I gamed rarely.

WHAT HAPPENED: Was overclocking through ASUS AI SUITE. Had set 1.27V VCORE Manual voltage at the HIGH PERFORMANCE setting. System worked Ok. Then, I pressed the AUTO button and AI SUITE changed the voltage to standard, i.e. auto with 0.040 Offset. System Worked fine. Then, I wanted to game again and I pressed the HIGH PERFORMANCE setting again. Everything froze. Restarted system by pressing and holding down power button (reset button did not work). When I restarted the system, I got the Error 55 loop.

TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

1. Removed RAM modules which were on red slots and put them into black slots. Still Error 55 loop.

2. Since my RAM kit was originally 32GB (4x8 gb modules) I had 2 modules sitting inside their plastic package. Removed modules in use and tried the other 2 unused modules in the black slots. Still Error 55 loop.

3. Removed GPU and tried to boot the system with no GPU in the PCI slot. Still Error 55 loop.

4. Cleared CMOS repeatedly through the jumper. Still Error 55 loop

5. Removed battery from mobo, waited 1 min, reinstalled battery. Still Error 55 loop.

6. Pressed the MEM OK button and restarted. Still Error 55 loop.

===========================================================

Not quite sure if I fried the CPU, motherboard or both. I ordered a Pentium 3250 dirt cheap from ebay in order to check and see if 4770k is fried.

Everything seems to be okay with the motherboard. Rog lights, normal post sequence until Code 55.

Googled and found out ppl with Error Code 55 mostly had fried CPU's. Thought that Code 00 meant dead CPU.

Not sure what to do at this point. Any help welcome.

PLAN: I plan to test with the new Pentium CPU and if I get the same 55 loop, then I will order a cheap mobo from ebay and check to see if 4770k is actually fried.

Been an enthusiast for over 10 years. Never fried a component. Sucks to be me tonight.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Achaios

You're taking the right steps in your troubleshooting, another cpu will tell you if it's the motherboard or cpu. I've seen this before and the culprit was the cpu.

You could try flashing the bios with bios flashback to see if this brings it back to life.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Achaios

You're taking the right steps in your troubleshooting, another cpu will tell you if it's the motherboard or cpu. I've seen this before and the culprit was the cpu.

You could try flashing the bios with bios flashback to see if this brings it back to life.

Hey Nate.

I didn't write so, but I have got the latest BIOS installed on the board. So, what you are suggesting is to re-flash the board with the latest BIOS again?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Definitely try to reflash BIOS....maybe also...remove all power from the board and the battery...let it sit for a few hours like that....replace battery...clear cmos...then reconnect power and try...

Nate152
Yes as Arne says, it's worth a try to reflash the bios, it may have got corrupted.

Let's cross our fingers and hope that's all it is.

Try Arne's other suggestions too.

Achaios
Level 7
Posting this to help others. Thanks @Nate @Arne.

It appears my BIOS had been corrupted. I followed the USB BIOS FLASHBACK procedure found in Chapter 2.2 of the Manual and reflashed the BIOS through the USB Flashback button at the back of the board.

The board went through post successfully, then returned code AE and finally code A0 which I think indicates all is well.

I will replace the RAM modules, GPU and start troubleshooting further. Will post followup here.

When the system first booted following the BIOS flashback, dreaded code 00 did flash once or twice, then the board shut itself down and finally posted successfully.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Achaios
Level 7
So, all is well. Thanks guys. My system works okay.

On a side note, I had the following issue and I was wondering if you could help.

While overclocking through AI Suite, I used the ADAPTIVE setting as follows:
OC Voltage = 1.24V and Offset Voltage= +0.020V = 1.26V

However, and although I did set the LLC feature to Level 1 (lowest) through AI Suite, voltage shoots as high as 1.312V. Any ideas how to fix this?

Nate152
Looking good there Achaios !

I personally would do the overclocking manually in the bios rather than using AI Suite.

Now quickly cancel that cpu order. 🙂